SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats wrong with the fourms?

I am on adsl for my internet connection but over the past few days or at least two days I have noticed that the speed of pages loading displaying etc etc has been very very slow and when I check how many users their are online it doesnt seem to be that many and the site is still running slow is this happening for anyone else or just me?

I'm assuming that the server must be under some huge load to be running at this speed with only a small number of users online at a time or at least currently

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume with the major outage of power all across the upper part of the U.S., things are not quite up to speed yet. Give it some time and most likely it will be back to normal by tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm in Australia with the kolals and kangaroos in my back yard as pets I forgot you got power problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy
    I forgot you got power problems
    Yeah, we don't get failures like that in this part of the world. Must be something to do with the weather...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ P@CkMaN
    Yeah, we don't get failures like that in this part of the world. Must be something to do with the weather...
    Send some to North America!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems with it being slow?

also ... I doubt the power would be part of it, either there is power to run the server or there isn't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    I haven't had any problems with it being slow?

also ... I doubt the power would be part of it, either there is power to run the server or there isn't [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    Still not much quicker but has improved a little and i too though that the power wouldnt affect it also either its on or off

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power outage removes servers that normally do routing and DNS. Once those machines are down, those services are rerouted to other machines which is how the Internet is Designed. With 1/4 of the country down that is a lot of rerouting and it causes congestion which in turn can cause slowdown irregardless of whether the power is on at the particular server you are connecting to. You don't connect directly to each server, the connection tunnels through dozens of servers to get you where you need to go.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    The power outage removes servers that normally do routing and DNS. Once those machines are down, those services are rerouted to other machines which is how the Internet is Designed. With 1/4 of the country down that is a lot of rerouting and it causes congestion which in turn can cause slowdown irregardless of whether the power is on at the particular server you are connecting to. You don't connect directly to each server, the connection tunnels through dozens of servers to get you where you need to go.
    True I'm sure if I did a traceroute that the time between hops would be greater than normal and the number of hops would be higher