User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tables, CSS, or both?

Hello,

I'm in the process of laying out the templates for a weather site. On the forecast page, where the forecasts will go, would it be better to use tables, css or a combination of both?

"Better" is defined as being accessable to all visitors (section 508), easy to maintain and standards compliant.

I'm leaning towards using css since the rest of the site templates are done with css.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say either 'CSS' or 'Both'. If you need a table, then use a table and style it with CSS to keep as much presentational data out of your markup as possible. If you can do it all in CSS then good for you! Go for it!

Also, you can meet Section 508 guidelines with a table-layout site, if you code properly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...tables are for "tabular data" (does the vagueness of that description bother anyone else?), so I figure CSS and both would be a decent way to go.

Someone's actually been down this road before, so it might be nice to take a look at what he's done at 6 Weather. You may also be interested in his mini-writeup about the site.