SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watchfire Seminar: Website Compliance with the UK's DDA

I've just signed up to attend the free Watchfire Seminar on 21st August- Website Compliance with the UK's DDA. Its seems to be a Placeware run seminar but I'm totally confused about the audio. The instructions I received were:

Audio Information: Local:416-695-5806, North America: 1-800-273-9672, Intl: (IDD Code for the country you are in and the country code for Canada +) 800-3276-6333 (use local # as backup)
    If you live in the UK  you will need to use the Intl 800 number listed above.
    -To obtain your country code, please call your local operator and request the country code for Canada, and let him/her know what number you need to call.
    -The following link will give you instructions on how to call from Country to Country: http://kropla.com/howtocall.htm
    When calling the audio portion - please mention the 'Watchfire conference call'.
    Does this mean I have to site with the phone to my ear for an hour! Or is the audio purely an extra?

Is anyone else signed up to this seminar or planning on it?

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've sat through a usable.net LIFT for DW sales pitch / seminar a few months ago, and it was indeed a case of "look at the computer screen and talk to the phone" (on speakerphone anyway)...not sure what watchfire are going to do, but it's a possibility...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ... as I'm in an open plan office that might be rather tricky. Also I don't have international calling so I may not be able to receive audio at all. Hope this won't affect my "seminar experience" as I was quite looking forward to this one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChain
    Ah ... as I'm in an open plan office that might be rather tricky. Also I don't have international calling so I may not be able to receive audio at all. Hope this won't affect my "seminar experience" as I was quite looking forward to this one!
    why not email them, thank them for the details, but inform them that you've got a hearing impairment...and see what they write back

seriously though, this is EXACTLY the kind of scenario i talked about the other day, making my point to a few colleagues that - as the WAI points out - it's not just about people with permanent physical/mental disabilities, and that somebody sitting at an open access PC in a library, with no speakers or headphones, is - for all intents and purpouses - deaf but i digress...

could you not inform your boss that you need to "attend" this seminar at a PC near a phone with international call capabilities ? i would pass it off as WFH time (Working From Home)

Off Topic:

ah...just noticed you're in manchester

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [OFFTOPIC]Aha, interesting you should mention that, I believe we work for the same employer!! Its a small world on the internet.[/OFFTOPIC]

Its a good point, for a seminar on accessibilty it would seem rather ironic that attendees can't particpate fully due to technical constraints. I will send them an email and keep you posted on what they come back with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've had a response back from Watchfire and I have to admit to being rather unimpressed.

Unfortunately calling in through the phone line
    is the only way to receive the audio portion of the live seminar. I'm not
    sure if this makes a difference, but the international number that we
    provide is a toll free number. However, we will be recording this seminar
    (with the audio portion), and will be emailing everyone registered, the
    link. You will then be able to review the recorded version, with audio.
    So due to my "technical constraints" I won't be able to properly take part in a seminar where the topic is about complying with the UK DDA to ensure that everyone is able to use websites regardless of technical or physical capabilities ... pretty ironic huh. Its good to see Watchfire setting a good example

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goes to show...