User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    because you gotta have beer! firegryphon3207's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great minds think alike
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    tinyplanet.org <--a nifty spot.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taxes don't really factor into this at all. Power is provided by the private sector. The government provides regulations, which in turn, probably leads to a little funding for the companies, but mostly, your bills to the power company is what is paying for this and not taxes.

Either way, it's ridiculous. Slonofka, this isn't a problem that was caused by events in the last year, so don't use this as some anti war thing. It's a completely different boat altogether. Whether or not the war is worthless has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tomaka
    Taxes don't really factor into this at all. Power is provided by the private sector. The government provides regulations, which in turn, probably leads to a little funding for the companies, but mostly, your bills to the power company is what is paying for this and not taxes.

Either way, it's ridiculous. Slonofka, this isn't a problem that was caused by events in the last year, so don't use this as some anti war thing. It's a completely different boat altogether. Whether or not the war is worthless has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
    Yeah I guess you're right. It's just spending 2 hours (was away rest of the day) in the dark is the only thing that has had a negative impact on me in 2 months. Now I have to reset all the clocks!!!!!!!!!

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    the water pumping stations run on electricity...
    Yep. We were able to fill up the sink and the bathtub just in case we need it. So far we still have water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tomaka

Not everywhere power is provided by the private sector. In some countries these kind of things are run by the state.
    I thought private companies should have been able to provide better quality and lower prices but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really should keep a few gallons of water in your house always... we have well water on my street so everyone has their own pump... if it breaks or electricity is out there's no water (not to mention droughts), maybe that's why we always have water around here.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warning to all. Country bashing will result in removal of posts and possible further action against your account. This is not a political issue and politics are a banned topic. Final warning.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have city water, we used to lose the power all the time in our area of the city during the summer, but we never lost the water with it.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I love Texas... We are an island unto ourselves Only problem is, being an island keeps us from being able to sell our surplus power

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wired Magazine this month ran a two page story with lots of pretty pictures about how the entire world will be connected to an electricity cooperative within a decade...as you can see with NE US and Canada being connected, most of the links are already there. US imports more electricity than any other country.

Wired goes on about how great it is that nobody would ever have a power surplus or too much demand since you'd just sell your extra or buy what you need from another power company. They failed to think about whether the transmission lines could stand up to the power put into them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Wired Magazine this month ran a two page story with lots of pretty pictures about how the entire world will be connected to an electricity cooperative within a decade...as you can see with NE US and Canada being connected, most of the links are already there. US imports more electricity than any other country.

Wired goes on about how great it is that nobody would ever have a power surplus or too much demand since you'd just sell your extra or buy what you need from another power company. They failed to think about whether the transmission lines could stand up to the power put into them.
    ya know what they say about believing everything you read in the papers.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman

Well that's the thing, Texas has stayed away from a cooperative because of 1) government intervention and 2) reliability. Sure we could have sold all of our surplus power to California during their crisis but who's to say they would have pulled too much power from our grid? How much power should we sell them... ERCOT doesn't even want to deal with those issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water can be pumped using hydraulic rams (no electricity). I'm sure in some areas that principle is used to get water to residents. That's more or less the idea behind the water tower, right?

I think we need some time for the dust to settle before coming to a conclusion about all this. I'm reading an article about this and various representatives from various energy concerns are blaming and denying a smorgasbord of causes... fires, lightning, outages in one plant or another... I bet that tomorrow afternoon we'll have a more accurate picture of what happened and why.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S7ven - To my knowledge though, the government does not provide power. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am definitely no expert on the topic, so I could esaily be wrong.

Filling up water was always entertaining. When I was younger, we used to do it whenever there was a storm. The power was much flakier for us then.

Recently, it's improved, but monthly is still too much for my liking. I want a 99.9% uptime garuntee!

The funniest part of the situation is that the current system was probably based a lot upon keeping a low budget. I imagine that this outage is going to be huge in costs to the company and cause them a heck of a lot more trouble than the savings were worth.

Interesting the way things come back to bite you in the ***, eh As Aaron said, I'm just glad that I'm not them!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my dad works for Texas Genco he should get an ERCOT emergency report tomorrow morning when he goes into work.

Like you said Sam, we will learn a lot more tomorrow as to why this happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm, we've had some "breaking news" stories over here (AUS)... and guess what, we don't give a rats clacker about a couple of hours power loss We have them sometimes, doubt NBC or CNN would be telling you about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our power was off for 1 week earlier this year, because off bushfires.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, bless!

~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn! Cedar Grove was affected!
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woohoo! powers back! haha. though not fully. my dad just called work, they're getting intermittent power. not sure if indian point is back up fully, but traffic lights and things are working so it seems to be all good.

sucks for detroit though, i heard no juice fro them till sunday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    know what's cool? It amazes me (well not really since I lived in NY!) that the NYPD is reporting only 4 burgalaries in the entire city all night in NYC.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    umm, we've had some "breaking news" stories over here (AUS)... and guess what, we don't give a rats clacker about a couple of hours power loss We have them sometimes, doubt NBC or CNN would be telling you about it

Do you often get 50 million people in a 500 mile radius stuck with no power?

Did anyone else notice the power go out about 45 seconds before? And come right back on?

It's almost like one grid got overloaded and when the other tried to compensate the whole thing went down.

And now, even though we're in a state of emergency, I'm stuck at work since we're deemed "critical services". Looks like a long day of surfing sitepoint ahead of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey vi, sorry to hear about that. The news I was seeing yesterday said the whole cascading blackout took 9 seconds from start to finish. I can't figure out one thing CNN is reporting though. I've seen it twice this morning.
    "The disturbance appears to have been caused by the loss of several major transmission lines in the upper Midwestern United States, but investigations and data collections continue," the North American Electric Reliability Council, a not-for-profit private group, said in a written statement.

In addition to New York, outages were reported in Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Erie, Pennsylvania; Toronto and Ottawa, Canada; Niagara Falls, New York; Niagara Falls, Ontario; and other cities in Connecticut and New Jersey.

Early reports suggested the outage may have begun in the Niagara Mohawk system, but William Edwards, the company's president, said there's no evidence of that.
    What does the boldface mean? Where is that? Minnesota? Michigan?
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess Michigan.

It seems that they're going to have the most difficulty bringing Detroit back online, according to CBC reports this morning at least.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, I would guess they still really don't know. I am not entirely sure how the system works, but it would make sense if it started at the center of the problems. At least to me.

Only about a third of Michigan is without Power. Ann Arbor and East of it pretty much. I still can't help but snicker. My aunt called today to whine about it. I just laughed at her, since that's what her response normally is to our frequent lossages.