User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    because you gotta have beer! firegryphon3207's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

glad you guys came out ok Its tough enuf with a new baby, no power and stuff doesn't help
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    tinyplanet.org <--a nifty spot.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to the land of the empowered Jeremy.

Drop em if you got em
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    As far as blame stuff, the PM, Premier and Mayor of Toronto all refused to speculate on the causes and didn't do any blaming at all. Patacki did a little bit, Bush didn't seem to at all, and Bloomberg didn't as far as I'm aware.

As far as I'm concerned, all the government officials acted very very well. Kudos
    I didn't really read much from the PM or President, but I did see many conferences with each city's mayor. Bloomberg just kept saying "Con Ed said it appears this thing happened north, possibly in Canada..., but we won't know till later". The mayor of Toronto made some wiseass remark like "when's the last time America excepted the blame for anything". My thought was "can't we wait till later to start slinging this stuff?" Oh well, it'll probably get worse before it gets better between some of these guys; and even after it's resolved someone will probably try to further their career by bringing the situation up over and over again. That's politics, eh?

I've spent a lot of time up there (Toronto), but I was actually thinking of Niagra Falls when I heard things were out up there, and if I was on top of the Skylon, I would've probably freaked out (and most likely tapped out the bar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the news, one of the Canadian leaders (didnt catch the name) said it was a Nuclear Plant in the USA that surged the power, and an American leader (again, no name) said an outage in Ottawa caused it.

Dunno.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's those damn Texans, myself.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naramation
    According to the news, one of the Canadian leaders (didnt catch the name) said it was a Nuclear Plant in the USA that surged the power, and an American leader (again, no name) said an outage in Ottawa caused it.

Dunno.
    Interesting how each person seems to know the OTHER's situation.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <cheapshot>
    I guess Gray Davis has a job opportunity after all.
    </cheapshot>

Okay, we're not going into politics now....no, we're not!
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vodka,

Well, Mel only gave one press conference and I heard it live. Maybe he made a statement in private, but to the press every press conference I've heard (and being huddled over a radio for 30 hours I think I've heard enough) everyone has been very civil.

There's been some minor finger pointing, but the consensus really does seem to be "let's leave the politics until after the power is on, and hopefully leave the fingerpointing for never" (ad lib quote from the Premier of Ontario when some reporters tried to bait him during one of the press conferences).

I think NY especially has handled this incredibly incredibly well. I mean we had it hard in TO, but in New York it would have been much much worse. I'm not sure if there are any New Yorkers, but well done to the whole city.

The stress of this situation isn't something you can imagine, and it's not something that's been conveyed. It's something TO folk just look at each other, smile gravely and nod. There aren't words to describe what actaully happened (good and bad), the emotions of going through it...

It's sad that the people of NY have had to live through 2 such incidents: where there simply aren't words to describe what it was like to go through the period of time.

And yeah, I'm off to bed now. There was a block party until 3am last night (cars on, four ways going, everyone dancing... me trying to sleep), and now it's quiet with everyone enjoying a meal and a shower.

G'night.

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiousity, does anyone have any solid articles on the causes yet? As far as I know, it is all speculation, though I have seen quite a few people in here say things that they think are confirmed. I am not saying there aren't any for-sure articles out there, I am just saying I haven't found them yet. I've been packing all day in my lighted house for heading off to school (which forutnately regained its power) and just haven't had the time to follow up on the information as I should.

I thought it was all still speculation at this point. I have heard several different locations mentioned as a possible source for the problems.

Either way, I believe that it is the system that failed, and not the people running it. Something must have been wrong with the design of it for something like this to happen.

Jeremy is definitely right about several things. Mainly, the way the government officials acted. I didn't see President Bush speak, but I thought Bloomberg and the other officials did a great job of handling the situation and speaking to the public. I had to snicker a little when Bloomberg talked about how it would be hard to get on without air conditioning. I've managed to live just fine without it for the past nineteen years; I bet they can deal with it for a couple days

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no, they are too buisy blaming other people...
    anyway we are back w/ power after 26 hours of un aircondictioned bliss..
    `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·FLAMING`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
    -==׺°”˜`”°º×MONARCH׺°”˜`”°º×==-

Drop em if you got em
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest thing I've heard consistently was that it was in an Ohio plant where someone forgot to shut something down after things started to collapse.

I'm sure the story will change again in a day or two

And Jeremy, I'm a NYer, so thanx

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no conspiracy theorist by any means, but maybe the power was shut off on purpose. Perhaps it was to foil something larger that almost happened. After all, New York is smack dab in the middle of it again.

Just giving everyone something to talk about.
    Asianca.com - Please join our online Asian community
    TorontoGunViolence.com - Speak up against the violence!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the scary things the experts were saying was that this could easily be done by a terrorist, since the power grid reacted exactly as it was supposed to.

Also, macarthur, I don't see anyone in here throwing blame around and by and large I don't see politicians doing it either.

In fact, most people don't even care what started it right now, they just want their power on consistently.

I was so glad to wake up and have power, I really couldn't care less what caused it. In a week I'll care. For now, I enjoy showering.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the power still down in some places then?
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rolling blackouts, so yeah. Huge sections of TO are always without power. I understand most of the province has it back apparently, but there will be rolling blackouts until the nukes are back online and producing at or near capacity.

J