User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,
    I wonder if i am too slow to design website. So I wanna ask how long does it take you to design website(it is nice to give url of website you design with it as an example with the time you spend on it)?
    You can tell what u used(plain html/javascript or php/perl or asp/SQL server). So I can find out if i am normal
    Hope my question is clear.
    Regards
    Great Dane
    Gokhan ARLI

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my site (www.webdevsites.com) took about 2-3 days to design.

The designing of it isn't really the hard part. It's filing it with content that takes time.

The site's been live for about 3 weeks now and there isn't that much content, but i'm working on that at the moment.

I want my site to have original content for a webmaster site

rgds,

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.evergreen-clinic.com I did in about 3 hours, its just dhtml - but that was just a redo. Doing a site for a client the first time around is time consuming basically because of communication. For instance, this one website, I've been doing off and on since May because the client is so slow in getting me information. I should finish it today though... Finally!

When I was converting my literature site from static to database-driven I spent 15-20 hours doing it - so doing alot of database stuff will take longer.

Chris

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is really a personal question and the type of site you have in mind depends on what you have fixed for yourself as objectives. Finding the layout alone can take you a week especially if you want to design many and find out how it will look. Remember if you are coding in html on notepad/simpletext that will take you more time. Then there is the problem of the contents as KeithMcl stated not to mention if you are adding bells and whistles.

The most important thing is how you can meet the deadline that you set for yourself and if you accomplished your design goals within that objectives/time frame. If you answer yes to these quesitons you are on the right track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you don't want to hear this, but it depends.

The design I plan to use for MyCoding.com when it launches took me several days of hair-tearing and frustration. The design I used for AlleghenyInstitute.com took me a couple of hours, with some small tweaking later.

Why is this? Well, for one: the MyCoding design is for MY site, and therefore I have more motivation to make it was good as possible. I'm a perfectionist of sorts, and I went nuts trying to come up with something that the visitor would like, and that I would like as well.

It also depends on what you're shooting for. I don't always shoot to create the baddest (read: best) design I can, because I know it can be time wasted, especially when a big amazing design is not needed.

Case in point: http://www.AmericanEntrepreneur.net - I designed it for a client. It's simple and straightforward - he even provided the logo. Can I do better? You bet, but he's very happy with it and to go nuts trying to make it "perfect" would not have been worth the time. He wanted the site up quickly.

I hope this post somehow helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi http://www.masseynoise.com (flash) took me a week, but am still tweaking the odd little bit, for an html site like, http://www.e-skylark.com it took 2 days, the flash one again about a week.
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the longest part is determining the layout I want to use. Once I have that down, and assuming the client has provided the content in a timely manner, getting the site up is quick and easy. On my folksongresearch.com site, it took me a week or two to come up with a design I liked, after trying a hundred things. Once that fell into place, the site was up in hours.

I always teach my class to do thumbnails first, but until recently didn't really do it myself. On the last two sites I did, my breakthrough came when I stepped away from the computer and picked up a pencil.

The hardest part, as anyone will tell you I'm sure, is getting the content!!
    <Edited by dkilburn on 11-29-2000 at 11:20 AM>
    Debby Kilburn
    "With computers, everything is possible, but nothing is easy"
    AIM: fourhweb

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site (www.pawsitronic.com) took about 2 days. That was the complete layout, redesign, revision of content, etc. I didn't have any set design in mind at first, I just made a basic sketch and followed it. It turned out better than expected!

This is my 1,000th post!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well for me this question is similar to how long is a piece of string. Some designs I can do in a couple of days and others can take me over a week.

The first thing I do is make some sketches of possible designs for the site I am designing. I either come up with some designs straight away of I have to sleep on it 9I come up with most of my ideas in bed ). I will then pick one of the sketches to do any either go into the actual designing of it or return to my giant pad of paper and develop the idea. I never throw away my rejected ideas though as they may come in use later. The finished design often looks nothing nothing like the original sketch as I will all of a sudden decided I don't like a bit of the design or get a new idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my site took about 3 minutes but people say it looks like yahoo for some reason but they are just jealous its http://www.damnyanks.com/design.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Determining how long it takes to design a web site depends on what kind of design you are designing/the level of complexity. My site took about a week to be completely done.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the time you spent really depends on your site. of course with experience you can go faster. i'm currently creating a network of 8 dotcom sites, 90% automated with PHP/MySQL. i'm not a newbie but it took me 2 months to know what i wanted, 2 weeks to find a perfect design (i'm using a similar design for the 8 sites), 2 weeks to create the design and do the programming and right now i'm "filling" with content (probably only need one week). so that's 3 months and i worked really hard. in my opinion the easy part is really the design but to know exactly what you want is MUCH more difficult.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scandy when i say how long, it means all the project- planning and design(which is in mind first) and .... are included. I did not think designing a website just sitting in front of computer(it is off course another style).
    thanks
    Great Dane
    Gokhan ARLI