SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened my GoTo account about a week ago. I was able to get my 3 most valuable search terms for $.02. Well two days later, the guys that got out-bid by a penny, out-bid me by a penny. I did the same. Then they did again. Then me. Then them. I stopped so I can consider strategy and I dropped myself down to less expensive second-place bids. We are currently talking real minor amounts of money, as I am just getting my feet wet, but I could easily see it getting out of hand. I will gladly settle for second or third fiddle (or lower as the GoTo traffic continues to increase). I was wondering though, has anybody been involved in a bidding war and care to tell their story?
    Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of it this way:
    position - price
    1 - $.10
    2 - $.07
    3 - $.02
    3 - $.01

You can get place 2 of $.08 or place 3 for $.03. The savings from dropping lower can be substantial and not hurt the throughput very much (ie. first 3 are all pretty good) and will certainly save you money.

Owen

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With GoTo.com, bidding wars are frequent. However, being in any of the top three positions would be considered excellent. Within the top three positions, your title and description will be what really grabs a person. Put most of your effort into the wording.

Another important reason to be in the top three positions is because when AOL starts publishing GoTo listings they will only be publishing the top three in any given keyword search. Talk about starting bidding wars!

BTW, have you noticed how high some of the bids go? I just did a search for "Marketing" and the #1 person is paying $3.88 per click! #2 is only paying $2.00 per click so it appears there was a major bidding war and #2 eventually dropped back leaving #1 to pay huge per click fees.
    Joe Tracy, Editor
    Webmaster Techniques Magazine (free publication for Webmasters)

author, Web Marketing Applied

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AOL has been publishing the listings for a while now (a few weeks?)
    just did a search for "Marketing" and the #1 person is paying $3.88 per click! #2 is only paying $2.00 per click so it appears there was a major bidding war and #2 eventually dropped back leaving #1 to pay huge per click fees.
    I've seen that often... I guess they have money to burn if they continue to bid $1.87 per click more than they have to.
    Ted

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I watch my bids closely - particularly in a bidding war.

When a war starts I'll usually offer a significant amount more than the person who just out bid me, maybe do this back-and-forth twice - just to allow them to get their bid "up there." Then after a day or two I'll scale my bid back just enough to get in the top three, leaving them well out in front.

If you bid $.01 and they bid .02, go up to .05 - they'll respond by going to .06 - then you can go back to .01 for second place. Sometimes it's kind of fun watching and waiting to see how long (and how much money) the "gotta-be-first-place"ers will hold out for.

Like others have said, I don't have to be first, just in the top three.

Exotic Hawaii.com
    Live the life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually this is another interesting point: the further the visitors look down for the right destination/appropriate page, the more potential those customer.
    However, the listing should not be so out of sight. I think within top 10 is good enough.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, often its not the quantity of traffic, but the quality although i agree quantity helps. I often just stick to .01 and bid on many keywords, maybe the amount of people i get wont be a lot, but my profits per user where certanly be a lot higher than somebody who payed .20 cents per person.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    123 (or anyone) - How do you get listed in those sub catagories? The form only shows search words, not specific catagories.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't think in Goto there are directory listings, but what I meant is for a particular keyword, sometime the sites are not really what people want, they will try the next link.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There definately are category/directory listings as you can see. Someone has to decide what goes in where.

BTW, signed up woth Goto yesterday. How long does it take get listed??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search on "web hosting"

#1 is $3.79
    #2 is $1.70
    #3 is $1.69

The first person should lower it to $1.71. I remember there used to be $18 (really!) bids for this phase. I'm glad they had some more sense knocked into them.

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started ppc with GoTo right from the start and the comments I've seen here about GoTo not working...well, its the same thoughts I had when I first started and didn't really know or understand the system well. I consider myself very knowledgeable concerning web marketing and if you really have a good service or product to sell...GoTo can only work...otherwise, you'd best touch up on your marketing skills

I started with $25 in the accounts and had generic page titles and descriptions...got an ok response, nothing to brag about.

Then, after a few months...I changed my tactics after talking with a few people at the Search Engine Optimization conference in S.F. Others were noting the same response...just normal ct's from GoTo.

SO, I went to change all of my titles (210 worth) and descriptions to match more closely the actual "targeted keyword". I received tons more click-throughs but again, why would I just want click-throughs??? NOT!

A few months ago I changed my strategy again. I started creating extra pages that dealt exactly with the targeted keyword. Something like doorway pages but with the PPC pages I was creating, but you could make some nice designs and not worry about tags and the extra muck that needs to be out for a good "search engine" page...because you were guaranteed positioning with the PPC program.

Anyways, this helped me two fold.....1) to get rid of keywords that I thought we talked about in our site and 2) to understand what the customer is wanting to see...a page dealing with EXACTLY what they typed in...not just a title or description that had the keyword in it.

To make a long story short...ya right .... We currently get about 1200 "completly targeted" visitors to our site. Once they get there, they see exactly what they want...info on EXACTLY what they typed!

GOTO IS A GREAT SYSTEM for even small $$ business. Enough smarts = enough fully qualified visitors...and happy visitors.
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH
    Professional Disc Golf Association

what a sport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great way to manage PPC engines is to leave the big keywords alone and bid on lots of small phrases. Instead of targeting 100, go for 1000 or 10000 phrases making low bids on them. Because the spread is wider you can generate as much traffic as bidding high for the top spots on a smaller number of competitive phrases, but at a lower cost.

Things are harder to track but there are tools available to help you manage the bids such as http://www.PPCbidtracker.com which track your bids and notify you when they get outside your parameters.

So who's got the most bids on an account at GoTo?
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people actually use GOTO as their search engine?

People I know us AV, Google, Excite, MSN, Dogpile, Northern Light, etc. etc. but I can't recall the last time someone said they use GOTO as their search tool.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them sometimes, and most popular search engines like aol msn and ie and tons of others incorporate goto results straight into their searches.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good results from goto.com. Although the traffic isn't amazingly high (actually it's very low) because it's such a niche topic, about 75% of the people who've visited my site so far have signed up for my newsletter.

Goto.com has been great for targetting my audience and attracting visitors who'll actually appreciate my site. I hope when version 2 is released it'll be even better

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fluffykins
    I've had good results from goto.com. Although the traffic isn't amazingly high (actually it's very low) because it's such a niche topic, about 75% of the people who've visited my site so far have signed up for my newsletter.

Goto.com has been great for targetting my audience and attracting visitors who'll actually appreciate my site. I hope when version 2 is released it'll be even better

Ady
    Version 2? Whats thats. I think that goto is great for attrackting targeted audience, i think that is there biggest gain, they often come to be much cheaper than banner advertising as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things that I've found with GoTo is that really often, the sites you are up against/bidding against have not targeted themselves at the search term at ALL. For example, if you do a search for "small business" (or whatever) you might get a top listing for Bert's Vacuum Cleaners or something! (How is that relevant to the user who just tried to search for small business??) So the bidding war thing is sorta silly sometimes for that reason also--a lot of webmasters out there are not doing smart marketing at all. PPC works best for targeted marketing, not scattershot...I think that users may, if the top five or so sites don't match what they thought they were searching for at all, let their eyes just skip down the listings until they come to YOUR listing, which perfectly matches the keyword phrase...yeah, baby