SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, I am using Windows Millenium. I outgrew it the day I got it, and I have been saving up for Windows 2000 for some time now.

The question is: Can I upgrade to Windows 2000?

The reason I ask is because although Win2k is far superior, WinMe is a newer OS. I have never upgraded to an older superior OS by the same company.

I am pretty sure that I wouldn't have any problems, but I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is yes, you can upgrade straight from windows <i>Me</I>.

yes windows me is newer but basicaly just a bug fix for 98 (and they still haven't fixed it all)

I use Windows 2000 Pro and it goes great, (not crash proof though), if you want to play games though, forget upgrading to win2k, because you just can't play games on it, I have seen a very select few that can.

But if you want more reliability, power and take advantage of some of the networking and internet features, GO FOR IT!!

.NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by big_al
    I use Windows 2000 Pro and it goes great, (not crash proof though), if you want to play games though, forget upgrading to win2k, because you just can't play games on it, I have seen a very select few that can.

But if you want more reliability, power and take advantage of some of the networking and internet features, GO FOR IT!!
    I was considering posting this same question.

I have a Compaq computer that I purchased over a year and a half ago running the first version of Windows 98. Due to this fact alone and compunded by the fact that I have added hardware and software and tryed to 'fix' the bugs with Norton System Works (I let it do its thing and delete so called unneccassary DLL and registries), I know have an unstable system with a mind of its own.

I was able to purchase Windows 2000 Pro for $139 through my college. Would it be best to upgrade. If so, can I totally wipe the hard drive before installing W2K? Unfortunately, my only other option is to use the Compaq start-up disk which has all the software including their proprietary stuff on one disk.

Aside from games, are other programs that won't work with W2K like PhotoShop 5.5 or Visual Basic 6?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically all non-game programs that are designed for Win98/95 will run on 2k - the only thing it won't run is DOS-based stuff because there is no DOS.
    If possible I would do a full reformat but it isn't essential...as long as you have a reasonably stable compupter it should be fine. Westmitch - it is probably a good idea for you to do a reformat, although not essential. Win2k might be able to sort out the instability itself.
    I've had Win2k for ages (yes I even had the beta copy installed as my main OS , I was desperate for something more stable than 98 ) and I couldn't do without it now.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be good to keep in mind that Windows 2000 requires a much heavier PC than 9x. A 400 MHz processor and at least 128 MB RAM is not only recommended, it's even necessary because Win2k will just crawl if you've too many programs running at once.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thats true Although I did run Win2k on a K6-233 with 32Mb RAM for 3 months so high spec isn't essential.
    But in this case it doens't matter because I know Aidan recently got a cool new computer that can definitely cope with Win2k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what about ME? Would it be worth the time and energy to upgrade to ME from 98-2?

I do all of my design work on the copmuter, but I also play games....lot's of games...[drool]
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Well what about ME? Would it be worth the time and energy to upgrade to ME from 98-2?

I do all of my design work on the copmuter, but I also play games....lot's of games...[drool]
    ME is a better gaming platform than Win2k (d'oh) but it's more bloated than Win98 and therefore requires a heavier configuration.

I know about some guys who went back from ME to Win98, so I can't garantuee that you'll like ME.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James
    Westmitch - it is probably a good idea for you to do a reformat, although not essential. Win2k might be able to sort out the instability itself.
    I've had Win2k for ages (yes I even had the beta copy installed as my main OS , I was desperate for something more stable than 98 ) and I couldn't do without it now.
    Thanks, but I still have a couple of questions.
    1) I ordered the full version (not the upgrade) of W2K. Will I be able to install it without formatting? Honestly, I would perfer to format and get rid of every trace of the Compaq proprietary software.
    2) If I reformat, will W2K configure itself with existing hardware like the harddrive, CD Drives, and whatnot or are there certain files that I should save.
    3) Is there a significant difference between W2K and W2KPro?

Thanks for all your answers
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James
    Yes thats true Although I did run Win2k on a K6-233 with 32Mb RAM for 3 months so high spec isn't essential.
    But in this case it doens't matter because I know Aidan recently got a cool new computer that can definitely cope with Win2k
    I certainly did

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get myself a copy of Win2k sometime soon. I'm sure it'll be a great experience

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run win2k and I have had no problem whatsoever playing any sort of games. My bet is whoever had the problem didn't update their graphics/sound drivers or just has bad hardware to begin with.

By and large windows2k is a million times more stable than 9x. Also I would never recommend buying windows ME because you're basically buying 98 again, windows ME is 90% marketing. Get 2000, its alot better hands down, sure its more expensive than ME but its like that new commercial for discover card with the dogs... some people know when to pay more.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    I run win2k and I have had no problem whatsoever playing any sort of games. My bet is whoever had the problem didn't update their graphics/sound drivers or just has bad hardware to begin with.

By and large windows2k is a million times more stable than 9x. Also I would never recommend buying windows ME because you're basically buying 98 again, windows ME is 90% marketing. Get 2000, its alot better hands down, sure its more expensive than ME but its like that new commercial for discover card with the dogs... some people know when to pay more.

Chris
    I totally agree

BTW my younger brother wants to install Win ME instead of Win 98. He refuses to even try Win2k, so I'll keep laughing while he keeps an unstable system

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just brought home Windows 2000 about half an hour ago. After three tries at installing (all fails) I browse microsoft.com and see http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=WINME

GRRR!!!!!

I guess I'll have to do a clean install

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    I just brought home Windows 2000 about half an hour ago. After three tries at installing (all fails) I browse microsoft.com and see http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=WINME

GRRR!!!!!

I guess I'll have to do a clean install
    That was to be expected, actually.

BTW I said earlier in this thread that my brother installed WinME, remember? Well, he hated it and has not Win2k installed as well

Slowly people will start to realize that there's but one real Windows OS

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished backing everything up. Proceeding to format in five minutes.

Wish me luck!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is complete, now.

All I have to do is configure Windows 2000 to my liking and install programs.

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good

I'll probably be getting Windows 2000 soon, or NT.

Congrats

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Aidan on a fast, stable, secure system
    I really don't know what I'd do without Win2k now, I guess I'd be on ME but I wouldn't be happy with it