Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you read this please note the following:
    ~I am not a fan of Microsoft
    ~This post is not intended to be flaime
    ~The opinions expressed below are my own
    ~WARNING: Netscape fans may be offended

OK Now...

I was wondering why anyone would use Netscape Navigator over IE. I've had really bad experiences with Netscape and Im probalby never going to use Netscape again

IE is pretty much built in to Windows 98 and it is much more forgiving on bad code. Also it seems to support a lot more "cool" features.

Also Netscape takes much longer to load than IE and "the look and feel" of IE is much better than Netscape.

Why would anyone use Netscape? Is it faster?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Isuru Amarasena

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not faster. Most of the people I have talked to who use NS do so because they hate Microsoft. It is more of a protest than a quality issue.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No IE on Linux.

As for IE being more forgiving of bad code, I'm not too sure if that's such a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by duckie
    As for IE being more forgiving of bad code, I'm not too sure if that's such a good thing.
    That's an interesting point to consider. I tend to agree with you, but I haven't given it much thought.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thats a very good point duckie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Microsoft doesn't write any "forgiving" code that people use to design buildings or the roof might fall in.

I don't use IE because I just don't like it. I find it slower than Netscape and it has annoying quirks that i don't like. Some of it is confusing too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That IE renders 'bad' code is not nessecarely a bad thing. The thing with NS is that it doesn't even display good code correct.

IE is proven to be faster and take less resources.
    One choice: Microsoft Inetrent Explorer 5.5!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    I don't use IE because I just don't like it. I find it slower than Netscape and it has annoying quirks that i don't like. Some of it is confusing too.
    You are the first person I have read in a couple of years who has claimed that NS is faster than IE.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would never use anything but Netscape 6. It's the perfect browser. No one could conceivably make a better product. Netscape 4.7x was wonderful. It was very nearly perfect. But Netscape 6 is a technological masterpiece; so advanced, so stable, so elegantly designed that it boggles the mind. Every single person who created it must have been a genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by etLux
    Personally, I would never use anything but Netscape 6. It's the perfect browser. No one could conceivably make a better product. Netscape 4.7x was wonderful. It was very nearly perfect. But Netscape 6 is a technological masterpiece; so advanced, so stable, so elegantly designed that it boggles the mind. Every single person who created it must have been a genius.
    LOL! You had me going there for a moment.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who's ever read my opinions of NS4, and especially NS6, would be ROFL'ing... lol. NS4.X was more or less tolerable to use, though a blessed nightmare to write anything but HTML 1.0 for; NS6 is just completely over the edge -- to the point where I wonder if they were purposely committing technical suicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What always puzzled me is some forums where the majority of the members are NS users. They rant and rave about IE not following standards, and yet most of the books I have show IE being compatible with the latest standard constructs PLUS MS-specific ones, and yet NS wasn't even compatible with the standards.

And then I came here to SitePoint, and it seems like the opposite--most users hate NS.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be because there is a preponderance of web builders and coders here.

Users don't notice so much as we do. It's when you go to code anything more than flat HTML that you really, really start whapping into walls on NS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sheesh etLUX...I was getting ready to rampage on ya'

The thing that gets me about NS6 is the fact they spent how long building it? 36 months?

and it still sucks?

interface is fairly cool, but I personally don't really care about that. All that is important for me is that it loads my page correctly. It does not even do that. I tried it for the Mac and then went to Netscape.com for some add-ons. The netscape page did load properly in it.

Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROFL... why doesn't that surprise me.

I'll admit it does look kinda pretty.

But you know what they say about beauty.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't get why NS6 is so easy to use, so fast and of such high quality... but still crashes too much.

My vote still goes to Opera or NS 4.x in Windows and NS when in Linux.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now let me get this straight, Elledan... you got a copy of NS6 that runs fast?

What are you running for a box? A double-clocked SOYO with a couple of P-4's in it... lol?

EDIT

Wait... didn't notice you said Linux.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by etLux
    Now let me get this straight, Elledan... you got a copy of NS6 that runs fast?

What are you running for a box? A double-clocked SOYO with a couple of P-4's in it... lol?

EDIT

Wait... didn't notice you said Linux.

Hehe... That's what I like about Linux: it's so obviously a better network/internet OS than Windows. I can browse with NS at least 1.5 times quicker than with the fastest browser under Windows and I've a much lower ping too

PS: If I just could find the time to install the soundcard under Linux...
    <Edited by Elledan on 11-28-2000 at 11:27 AM>
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by duckie
    Yes, it is a good thing.

Ask yourself: what is a browser's job? It's to display webpages well - IE displays more webpages and their features with less problems than NS. A browser's job is NOT to make sure we coders get our code straight. That's our job.

That said - I hate NS6 even worse than NS 4.7 - which I can tolerate since I try to make my sites compatible with it. It honestly blows my mind that someone has made that their browser of choice.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Yes, it is a good thing.

Ask yourself: what is a browser's job? It's to display webpages well - IE displays more webpages and their features with less problems than NS. A browser's job is NOT to make sure we coders get our code straight. That's our job.
    Yes that's our job. Now the point I was trying to make is the reason why there are so many pages out there with really...weird coding is because of IE.

Microsoft apparently thinks it would be a good thing if a normal user can just whip up a page in less than 10 minutes without any prior knowledge of HTML by using cut and paste, and that page deserves to be seen by the public. A noble sentiment, but one which I feel is misplaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Deserves"? I don't get that - every page on the web deserves to be there, as completely ugly as it may be.

I'm not sayng a browser should render totally messed up code - but a browser's purpose is very clear, and IE does a better job of fulfilling that purpose than NS - by far.

And of course, it's not just NS only accepting good code - if it's off, sometimes NOTHING will display, even the properly coded elements. And it requires spaces in blank table cells - these are un-necessary quirks that serve no purpose, to me at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a good thing.

That said - I hate NS6 even worse than NS 4.7 - which I can tolerate since I try to make my sites compatible with it. It honestly blows my mind that someone has made that their browser of choice.
    Well Said TWTCommish

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many veteran coders (myself sometimes included) entirely lose site of what the purpose of programmatic code is.

So-called "code" is a means by which one communicates to the machine running it what tasks are to be performed, and how they are to be executed.

To fault any environment because it interprets and executes code more forgivingly is sheer silliness. To suggest otherwise bespeaks an elitist priesthood-like self-protectionist attitude on the part of coders.

The object overall is not to empower a haven in which those intensively immersed in the arcana of programming languages indulge in the high art of creating elegant code -- though there is surely great merit and satisfaction in doing so.

The object is... to get the job done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape = Netcrap ...

Netcrap is the only browser that gives me problems when designing. I have a page that had forms on the main page with the same form name, IE & Opera took it nicely and opened. Netcrap? Nope, it decided that it didn't like it and showed nothing at all.

Another thing that annoys me in Netcrap is that the borders are different. One color in IE is different.

I viewed my statistics for my site, 97% were IE, Opera, or some other off brand. The other 3%? Netscrap users.

Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Netscape, and that's all I have to say about that