SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for info

Hi

I am doing a research report comparing several databases to each other, they are MS Access, MS SQL Server, DB2 and Oracle. We are supposed to find out information on several front such as Adoptability, Ease of Use, Pricing, Vendor Support

I did the MS Access and SQL Server, but I am having trouble finding info on DB2 and Oracle for Ease of Use and Adoptability. Does anyone have any research articles comparing these databases. Been doing searches on Google and not getting anything worthwhile.

TIA
    Mary

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on how they define ease of use and adoptability. Are they talking GUI interfaces? programming APIs?
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adoptability is how many people are using it. Is it popular and are the numbers growing or shrinking. Ease of use can be both gui interfaces (if available) and programming apis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marycp
    Adoptability is how many people are using it.
    Wouldn't that be "Popularity"?
    I thought "Adoptability" meant how big the delta is between what you have and what you could have. If you have loads of benefits and few negatives then a particular DB is very adoptable compared to a different one?

I think that the definitions need to be ironed out here

"Ease of Use"? For whom? Programmers have very different needs to DBAs, and what about application users? they don't even know what DB is underneath usually. Here you might need to analysze presence / absence of certain productivity tools: web based management interface, graphical query execution, real-time debugging, wizards and other tools to help the pain of management functions....

Doing this will enable you to gain an objective viewpoint where you can measure and compare, with subjective analysis you can't do that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marycp
    Hi

I am doing a research report comparing several databases to each other, they are MS Access, MS SQL Server, DB2 and Oracle. We are supposed to find out information on several front such as Adoptability, Ease of Use, Pricing, Vendor Support

I did the MS Access and SQL Server, but I am having trouble finding info on DB2 and Oracle for Ease of Use and Adoptability. Does anyone have any research articles comparing these databases. Been doing searches on Google and not getting anything worthwhile.

TIA
    Mary
    I am sure each company's respective marketing departments could mail you a ton of brochures on why their DB is the best, etc... You would have to sort through the marketing hype from that point.

I am a little surprised to see MS Access mentioned as an option compared to MS SQL Server, DB2, and Oracle. Do you have any data on the scope of use the database would be used for? At the risk of getting flamed for making a blanket statement, I wouldn't put much trust in Access myself for any "serious" transaction-based system. I heard Access has a new engine that is more compatable with SQL Server (for upgrade purposes), so perhaps things are changing, but I doubt it

A database like Oracle is an amazing RDBMS but you will certainly pay for what it gets you (pay a lot). We use Oracle here, and I think it is one of the best RDBMS's I have ever used. But, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to a smaller company

MS SQL Server and Sybase are similar. Sybase is the better of the two. MS SQL is derived from an earlier version of Sybase, so the SQL syntaxes are similar. Though it has been many years and they are probably drifting apart by now.

I used DB2 in school many moons ago, so can't say much about it.

I would contact local sales reps, ask them to send me marketing data on their respective DB, and to not pester me with follow-up calls ;p

Cheers,
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asterix
    Wouldn't that be "Popularity"?
    I thought "Adoptability" meant how big the delta is between what you have and what you could have. If you have loads of benefits and few negatives then a particular DB is very adoptable compared to a different one?.
    You are right, adoptability is supposed to be popularity. We picked the wording and the instructor doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by asterix
    "Ease of Use"? For whom? Programmers have very different needs to DBAs, and what about application users? they don't even know what DB is underneath usually. Here you might need to analysze presence / absence of certain productivity tools: web based management interface, graphical query execution, real-time debugging, wizards and other tools to help the pain of management functions....
    For ease of use, I am looking for people who use it and how they feel about it. I know some people think Oracle is so hard to use but others love it.

I don't need to go too far, I am just supposed to compare and contrast the information about each database and then write a paper about the entire thing. It is a paper for my Master's degree class. One of those "keep busy" things.

Mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taoism
    I am a little surprised to see MS Access mentioned as an option compared to MS SQL Server, DB2, and Oracle. Do you have any data on the scope of use the database would be used for? At the risk of getting flamed for making a blanket statement, I wouldn't put much trust in Access myself for any "serious" transaction-based system. I heard Access has a new engine that is more compatable with SQL Server (for upgrade purposes), so perhaps things are changing, but I doubt it [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    This class is actually making us write an Access database for two of the assignments. So that is probably why they are using it.

We aren't going to be using this information in any form except to get a grade. So I am not worried about getting all the information, just enough so it looks like I did work.

Mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I do need to brush up on my search technique. [img]images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I didn't think to put the words "comparison" in quotes. Thanks for the links and the advice. It is very appreciated.

Mary
    Last edited by marycp; Aug 8, 2003 at 12:05.