SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few questions -

How can I design pages so that the pages fill the entire browser window? For instance, in my site below:

http://www.learningcommunity.capella...wski/test_cafe

I first built this page with my settings at 800X600, and it looked like the top and left colored bars stretched across the length of the entire screen in either direction. When I changed the setting to 1024X768, I noticed that the colored bars ended along the top. I got around this by extending the graphic another 500 pixels, but I know this isn't technically correct. Whether your using frames or no frames, what do you do to stretch the page so that it fits the entire browser window?

Also, any tips on how I can get the background graphic in the body of the site to fit flush along the bottom of the page? I've tried setting the page in percentages and also absolute pixels, but nothing seems to work. ALSO, is there a way to get rid of the bottom scroll bar within the body frame? The page looks OK in IE with just the side scroll bar, but that annoying bottom scroll bar shows up in Navigator...

Any tips on improving this page as well as making the code more "correct" are welcome...thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holly...I responded to your post in the other forum...but I have had a little time to think about your other questions.

To make a page that fills the browser window, you use tables (the tech term is variable-width). For example, check out http://www.plusoneonline.com/home. That is a variable width site that I did.

Very easy (but somewhat tricky) to implement. Using the plusone example, you go like this:
    Code:
    <table width="100%">
      <tr>
         <td width="150">
         this cell can be used for a sidebar with text links
         </td>
         <td width="100%">
         this would be the main body of the site
         </td>
         <td width="150">
         this cell can be used for another sidebar.
         </td>
      </tr>
    </table>
    The way table cells work is it takes the total amount of specified pixel space (in this case 300 pixels total) and sets that aside. Then it makes the center cell fill 100% of the remaining available space. Thus, the wider you open the browser window, the more space is available and the more space the center cell gets.

Is that clear? Is that what you were looking for?

<Edited by creole on 11-27-2000 at 02:38 PM>
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Welcome Holly~ This is a duplicate thread that you posted in the Web Page Design forum. We would like you to pick one forum that closest matches your request, so I am closing this thread...As you are new to the forums you might want to read our "SitePoint Community Guidelines" for any other questions that you might have...WebKat, Senior Advisor

~SitePoint Members~ To continue this discussion with Holly about page formatting just click to this thread:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=12242
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly