SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone else noticed SIGNIFICANT increases since the GOTO merger with the other engines? I don't even have that many terms (less than 100) and none over 3 cents (most at a penny...some at 2 cents)

I used to only spend 1.25 per day, and now I'm up to 4.00!!!

What has your experience been?

Kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had an account there for almost a year now, but never got around to using my money since I had no website. I just finished my new website so I bidded on some terms and they were accepted about 2 hours ago.

I bidded on approx 75 relevant keywords all at one penny I hope I see some results.

By the way, has anybody seen results with BrainFox? I opened an account with $10 and my money was increased 600% so I am hoping I can at least us up that money. I have 400 keywords all at $.07 or below.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't have that many terms around 15 if i remember correctly and the deals with the search engines has doubled my daily costs through goto - but i am fairly happy since on the revised estimates i still have 150 odd days to depletion

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My money too is SINKING rapidly. It's because so many of the major search engines are now using GoTo for the top few rankings.

I hate the entire GoTo company. Because of them we are having to pay for being ranked in Altavista, AOL, Netscape search and other search engines when it used to be free. These companies have no concept of providing a public service and are only concerned with lining their pockets.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my post 2 days ago...I'm now up to $8.00 per day...

This is really getting expensive !!!

I changed the page the people surf into, however, so I at least get some banner impressions...

I also refined my "description" so that people will be more likely to "click through" if they are really looking for what my site offers...

The upside...registrations at my site have also tripled...

Despite the increased overhead...I still like Goto!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a similar amount of traffic from Jeeves as GoTo, and it's expensive either way. As for BrainFox, they don't have enough traffic themselves, much less send any my way.
    Thomas
    http://www.EZ2ba.com
    Making it "Easy To Be A Dot-Com"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for BrainFox, they don't have enough traffic themselves, much less send any my way.
    I know what you are saying... but I figured for 5 bucks, which they are currently crediting as $30... combined with bids that start at $.001 ... why not? It's only been a a few days... they have provided no hits... but I am going to try to milk it more and see what happens. I am not ready to write off the 5 bucks yet
    Ted

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay it has been three days since my terms were approved for brainfox and goto.

I have received 4 hits from brainfox with 350 listings. It is about what I expected. One hit every day or so. I will be increasing all of my bids to try and get 5-10 hits per day.

Goto has provided me with ZERO hits. I don't understand. I have 150 searh terms that are webmaster related all bids at 2 or 3 cents. At least 10-20 are in the top three.
    Many of these terms are popular ones to.

I just don't understand why I get no hits.

It might be my description, but I think it is alright.
    Tell me what you think.

Searchable directory of editor reviewed Webmaster resources. Including Web site tools, templates, scripts, site promotion plus lots more useful Webmaster resources.

Maybe you guys can help with my description.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your site/are your listings "free"...

If so, add the word "FREE"...might get more click-throughs...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approx 90% are free. I will try that, although I would think it is obvious that when I state my description that users would think that searchable directory of webmaster resources meant ANYONE can search free.

Any other opinions??
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Studies show that most surfers don't "read" they scan... so they absorb your listing in words/phrases that catch their eyes...

I actually had to "read" your listing to understand it...and what you were offering...

"100 Free webmaster tools, scripts and templates. Find exactly what you're looking for in the editor reviewed, searchable directory. New tools added weekly."

Is, in my opinion, far more clear and obvious (and easier on the eye) than...

"Searchable directory of editor reviewed Webmaster resources. Including Web site tools, templates, scripts, site promotion plus lots more useful Webmaster resources."

Just my 2 cents...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right I never thought of that. I will add a new description and see what happens. This is my new description that I will try.

Over 2000 webmaster tools, scripts, tutorials and templates. Find exactly what you're looking for in the fast loading, editor reviewed, searchable directory. New tools added daily.

What do you think??
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much better

I'd still add the word Free...

Nothing is "obvious" on the web...

PLUS, after one's own name, "free" is one of THE most recognizable words to the American eye...I'm totally serious...

Kat

ps This advice was FREE...don't you feel good just reading that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that tip Kat !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ted
    I am not ready to write off the 5 bucks yet
    For me this is more like $100 dollars so I'm not writing it off either. Just anxious. I'm getting between 3 and 5 hits a day with Goto, so I'm happy there.
    Thomas
    http://www.EZ2ba.com
    Making it "Easy To Be A Dot-Com"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, are you guys just guessing what you should bid????

If so, you will always be waaaay off target!

First you MUST know how much each click is worth to you. Out of every 5,000 visitors, how much money do you make? Every 1,000? Every 100? Every 10? Every 1?

You MUST know what each visitor is worth!!! Then, and only then, can you establish an effective pay for advertising program.

If you know that each visitor is worth 20 cents, then you can also know that you NEVER want to pay more than 15 cents for each visitor.

This way, no matter how fast it appears you are spending money at GoTo or any other paid advertising, you will know that for every visit you received, you made a profit.

After you know these numbers, you will then be ready to ready pour on the advertising and make some real money.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that any of the posts warranted the inferrence that people were "guessing" at their bids...

Furthermore...I think the discussion was moving more towards "writing an effective ad that results in more click-throughs..." not, "my bids are too high."

That aside...

There is more than just the issue of click-through vs sales...

Depending on what type of site you have...the initial roll-out of your advertising might just be "acquistion of mindshare"...this is especially important to a community-based site...

My banners alone more than cover the increased goto traffic...I was really just commenting on the DRAMATIC increase in traffic...

My phase 1 is establishing my site as "one's" first stop (EACH DAY - or at least several times a week) for "this particular subject".

Does that have a value...sure...but it isn't measured in sales...(even if my banners didn't cover overhead, I would be willing to LOSE money on this in the beginning.)

My positioning as a "top 3" result for my keywords, in almost every search enginge, has resulted in

--3 mentions in national publications (one full-length article due out in March...)

--5 sponsor requests

--2 "on-going" tv-media negotions...

Sales...not yet...

BUT...when/if the site rolls out e-commerce...there will be a VERY well established, familiar cadre of visitors/customers...

...far more likely to "purchase" than the first time click-through visitor...

In conclusion...I think to initially relate "click-through" worth DIRECTLY to sales is an over simplification, esp if your site is not positioned in the "top of the mind". Any truly effective adv/mktg plan takes far more into account.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I started to receive some traffic from Goto around 100 unique a day now. I think it takes a couple of days for their listings to filter down to the other search engines.

Goto themselves are only providing half of those results, the other half is from dogpile and some smaller search engines.

I understand your point knowing what to bid for each visitor. Although, my concern at this moment is to start to build up some repeat traffic as I feel the majority f my visitors will be from that. Once I have some traffic built up I will start to analyze my costs/breakeven etc. and see what I actually make per visitor.

At the moment I only earn approx. $.02 per unique, however that does'nt include my ezine or repeat traffic.

Thanks for the help!
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat > I think your success has more to do with your specific topic than your search engine placement. You have a well designed site with useful content targeted towards an extremely specific audience. When you move into a crowded field with big players (such as webmaster sites) it is next to impossible to compare to the likes of ZDNET, CNET, Yahoo News, webreference.com, etc in terms of media coverage (since they are the media ) There are literally tens of thousands of webmaster sites (seems to be the most popular type around here too) and only (i'm guessing) 50 or so large ones with your topic. This makes it much easier to get a high ranking. (Though getting #1 takes as much skill for your site as for any site.)

Nevertheless, I agree with what you said and I'll add get UNIQUE AND USEFUL/POPULAR CONTENT and you'll be set!

Owen

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Owen for the thumbs up on the site design (what you saw was the new&improved version)

>>(Though getting #1 takes as much skill for your site as for any site.)

For sure...I've slaved over key words and their placement in the copy of the pages...

Anyway...I do know how hard it is in a crowded field..right now I'm consulting with a company that is a general medical site...tall order to get to the head of the pack...

take care...

Kat