SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon me for rambling somewhat. It is the only way to explain what I'm asking. Here goes:

Around three months ago, I created a website called Titans12thMan.com. It is a website which has interviews, stories, photos and more for the fans of the Tennessee Titans NFL football team. As a website designer, it was a way to have fun and support the team.

The site has grown in popularity though currently hits are only in the range of 50-100 a day. I've added some ad programs to see if the site could generate revenue. The success has been limited. I am trying to appeal to individual business that can benefit from advertising to hardcore Titans fans.

Last month, a company approached me wanting to basically buy the design and concept of my site. In doing so, they wish to change the domain name to their own and am considering hiring me to maintain the site afterward.

I am now attempting to come up with an amount for the value of my site. I fully realize that once I "sell" all files, etc. to him, I basically lose control of the site because it would be under his domain name.

The way I see it, I also must consider the situation if he does continue to allow me to work with the site on some type of retainer for a year or longer. Obviously, if he is willing to pay me to maintain the site, my price for the site itself can be less.

I would like to come up with a dollar amount for a) the value of the site as it is now, and b) the value of the site if I was to remain on contract to continue the site for a 1-year period. It is easy for me to break down an average of the hours it would take to maintain the site. My main concern is the value of the site as it is now.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Any sites anyone can advise me to look into would also help. Thanks!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is the first time I've seen a site mentioned here that I've stumbled upon before seeing it mentioned here. (If that makes any sense).

If it were me, I'd consider the two parts of the deal (the selling of the website and the continuing on to help after the website is sold) as two completely separate things. It may end up that you don't see the full value of any future payments. You could decide that you can't work with these people a few months in, or they could run into financial problems and not be able to pay, or they might just decide not to pay you. While you might have a written contract, it may not be worth it to hire and lawyer and litigate the thing.

It's hard to make a valuation of a website without knowing the range of what the buyer is willing to pay. Have they made a specific offer to you, or is it just a vague "We want to buy your site, what do you want for it?" kind of thing? If they haven't made a specific offer, then aim high. And then let them counteroffer you until you and they come up with a price that you can live with.

After that, start talking about your monthly price to continue updating the site and all that.

(Off-topic a bit, but I have to ask. How can a Titans fan call himself "Big Dog"? I wouldn't want to be associated with that Big Dawg guy from Cleveland if I were a Titan fan).

I'm sorry that I can't offer you a specific price that I think your site would be worth (which is what you really want), but there is just too much variation in prices for sites to nail down a specific price. Just come up with a figure that you think would be way too high and see if they go for it. And then be willing to negotiate if they don't go for it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply. Amazing you've been by the site. Thanks for the visit.

To help answer a couple of questions you have:
    They have not made any specific offer. He actually has no clue and is looking to me for an idea. And I honestly don't have any idea myself.

You make some good points, Ryan. I do think I must find a price for the site regardless if I am retained in the future to produce it or not for reasons you state.

After that price is agreed upon, I would then negotiate the monthly amounts. Because basically, I don't think this guy could make the site work without using me. If he is serious enough to want to buy the site, he's obviously going to do what it takes to maintain it.

I've thought of one other thing that maybe should be part of the agreement. I'd like to have the power to take back the concept, look, etc. of the site in the event that the client does not pay.

And I agree I will have to shoot high. I hate to risk scaring this guy away but unless he gives me some idea, what other choice is there? Want to toss out a number to see if we are thinking along the same dollar amounts? *grin*

Big Dog got his name long ago. He once was a DJ named "Disco Dog" or something like that. As disco died, he shortened his name. And, if you've ever seen the guy, he's earned the name. *lol*

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I skipped replying last time, so here goes... The site doesn't have much traffic (50-100/day isn't all *that* much, true?), and although it has some content, it seems he wants to add/change it and expand the site, so.... errrrr... I think he wants to buy the concept of the site and I'm just not sure what that's worth. He gave you absolutely no indication of a price eh? Sometimes when you aren't sure, you can throw it back at them and see what they offer. It might be more than what you were thinking.

This is a toughie (not that it is ever easy to determine these things).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, he hasn't thrown out any price whatsoever. I've tried twice to see if he's considered a yearly budget for his website I should consider.

To be honest, when he first contacted me about the site, I don't think he thought he'd have to buy the concept. I really think he felt he could just hire me and as a part of the deal, I'd bring him the site. The guy just doesn't know much about the web.

As for the traffic, 100 hits a day is actually very little for what we ultimately hope will happen. But since we are fairly new, and this is a hobby I enjoy, I can live with it never being more than a fan site by a fan.

Thanks for the reply. I'd love for anyone to toss out a number they think the site is worth.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answer these questions first
    Assuming if you dont sell it.
    1- Are you planing to keep the site and promote it?
    2- Is this your hobby?

If your answer is yes to both then dont sell it for less than 10Gs
    However if you are not planing to promote it or you feel the site is a dead end, sell it for 2Gs and ask for $700 per month (Based on 30 hours per month) for a duration of 1 year.
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Answer to both questions is "yes".

I'd love to know how your arrived at your numbers. To be honest, $10,000 to $15,000 was the range I was considering asking for. However, my monthly work on the site would probably be considerably higher based on roughly two updates per month which works to be close to 30 or more hours when you consider research, writing, layout and everything else involved. I could negotiate an hourly fee of some sorts.

He has mentioned a percentage of the revenue generated by sales from the site as well. I was thinking along the lines of asking a commission of 15 - 20% on top of the monthly guarenteed fee.

I've found a lot of info on selling domain names but little on sites themselves. Is this situation very rare?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verrry interesting quesiton.... Let me see if I can help without just rambling.

Before I asked anything about the site value I'd want to know about the offerer - Who is he? The owner of the Titans? Tennessee's largest business owner? Or Joe-Blow who thinks-the-Titans-are-really-cool-but-is-out-of-work-and-whos-company-is-in-bankruptcy (you get the picture).

You say he hasn't thrown out any numbers. Is his company successful? You said they guy isn't Web savy. Does he have any idea what running a Web business will entail? Does he have a proven track record? Sit down and have a long talk about where he see's the business going. He has suggested or written out a business plan right?

The more of these questions that you answer "no" to the less (it would seem) he's actually willing to pay. This doesn't mean he isn't "Crazy Lou"-with-the-million-dollar-trust-fund-who-buys-things-just-cause-he-likes-em, who know's maybe he will pay a million even if the site never makes money.

OK, now tell me about your site. Has there been any other interest from ANY other companies either in advertising or partnership? Are the hits increasing exponentialy? Is viewer buying greater than other sites (i.e. 1 out of every two viewers actually buys something off your site). Where are your hits coming from? Locally? or nation-wide? Where are you located in the Titan's home town or in Istanbul?

'K, now tell me about the Titan's (I don't no nothin') Think their goin' to the Superbowl this year? Signing some really interesteing (and famous) players? How bout over the next several years. (Better stats make for a more valuable site...)

How much have you sunk into the site? Let's start the valuation with that (just for your info - not to tell him)
    Value your time at whatever you're paid hourly at your job+ 1/2. (we want to at least get you a raise right!). Next add in any expenses (url reg./renewal, programs). Est. Now double the total (Standard Retail markup is 100%)

'K,'K 'nuff questions.

10k is silly if this guy's "business" is "stuffing envelopes for money." 10k is way to cheap if this is the Titan's owner-who-knows-they're-going-to-the-superbowl. A legitamate businessman should give you an offer first. A leg. businessman should know what his plans are for the business. Does he plan on hiring other to help with research/writing/programing? Or are YOU the man? A leg. business man is there to make $ and won't be afraid to discuss it. If he is afraid maybe he's just looking for a chance to cheat someone - but you know him better than I.

The easiest thing to value will be your time. I agree with others to negotiate each item seperately. Start with discussing the contract (AND DO GET A WRITTEN CONTRACT) to administer the site. Estimate OVER! It always takes more time and effort than you thought. Because you have a clearer valuation of your time this discussion will give you a better idea of how serious this guy is and how much money is on the table.

Hell, if this is a serious offer w/potentially alot of money find an attorney and ask him to negotiate this for you for a percentage. That would get you the best protecton, best contract terms, and tell you in an instant if this guy is serious or just wasting your time.

(&@*@! this is a long post...) Hope it helped, let me know if I can help by rambling some more with any other info you may get from him!

Oh yea, Congratulations for at least getting an offer of interest!

Exotic Hawaii
    Live the Life of Your Dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Your response made a lot of sense to me.

Some answers for you about the potential buyer:

1. Yes, he has successful businesses already though none like the one he is wanting the site for.

2. He is not web savvy but does seem to know the web is a key part of his business future.

About the site:

1. It is seeing steady growth.

2. It is located in Nashville (Titans hometown) and hits are worldwide.

3. Though I have joined a couple of affiliate programs, I have not sold any direct advertising. Honestly, I expected to have to be online a long time and build up the site before there would be a market for a potential advertiser. In turn, I have not sought advertisers besides have a small line of text under the banner ads which says "advertise to the mose hardcore Titans fans" and links to a page on advertising rates.

About the Titans:

1. We went to the Superbowl last season and are currently 7-1. They are very popular as merchandise with their logo on it presently is outselling all other NFL teams.

"A legitamate businessman should give you an offer first."

This statement you made had the most impact for me.

Here's where it gets complicated. I asked him about his marketing plan. He told me he is handling it. I asked him about a budget he has for advertising and the web. He hadn't established one yet. So in this regard, I have concerns that though he may be a successful business man in one industry, he has no concept of what it takes in time, effort and money to make a website work in another. He has a site for another unrelated product and it is a joke. This puzzled me.

Last Friday (before I read your message), I sent him a proposal. It essentually granted him my site's concept and content for a price of $15,000. I also proposed continuing the site for a "per issue" fee. I also submitted that I would be willing to accept a commission for partial payment for products he sold (so he knew I would be working towards increasing his bottom line). My proposal was in general terms and I did ask for any further negotiations to be in writing until we reached the point when we drafted a contract.

His reply left on my machine was "I think we have miscommunicated somewhere here as this proposal is clearly not what I want or need".

Therefore, I've e-mailed him again basically stating that he needs to send me in writing an offer stating what he wants and what he is willing to pay for it. I guess I'll quickly learn if he's for real or was just wanting something for nothing.

I'll let everyone know the result.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, that's what scares me about this guy... He may be a successful businessman but did he get that way by cheating people? Now I don't know him from squat, but his "negotiating" techniques either reek or indicate someone that ain't that smart.

'coupla comments (in no particular order):

Steady growth ain't as good as exponential growth (but it is good)
    Titan's Hometown, that's good...
    Worldwide hits, that's good...
    Superbowl and popularity - hmmm... Very good

See, I'm guessing that this guy probably want's to buy the site from you for a coupla hundred. Who knows, that might be profit if you've only put in a couple of hours of work into the site - but you have to value the time and energy that you put into the site and figure out if that would be profit or not. I'm sure you've heard the old saying that things are only worth what someone will pay for them.

I'm thinking that $15k is WAY out of the league of what this guy was thinkin. (I pray that I am wrong - EVERYONE deserves well earned money for a great concept.) Again the most legitamate way that he could proceed at this point is to then make an offer of what he was thinking.

So, you've shown your hand first and suggested a price. Ok, here's what I'd do while I was waitin' for him to call back: Sit down and just figure out what is the bottom line you'd actually sell it for. No, (for now) don't add up all the hours of work, don't add up all the hours of promotion, research, stress, _fill in the blank_. Don't listen to pride, don't listen to ego, don't listen to your dreeams about "what if this were better than Cokecola's secret formula - just figure out "OK what is the least I'd sell this for"

Got that figure? Good. Ok, now sitdown and figure out all the figures for the time and effort you've put into it (include all the thing's I suggested in my last post - url cost, time (valued at what you're paid hourly+ 1/2), etc.

Got that figure? Good. Last, figure out what you'd sell it for if it WERE the Titan's owner asking you. (I'm guessing this is the $15k figure.)

Now you at least have a range. If he makes a _substantial_ offer (somewhere between $15k and the Titan Owner offer) negotiate DOWN from the $15k, exchanging a lower price for other profit (i.e. from upkeep, research services, converting it to his logo, etc.)

If he calls back and still refuses to make an offer AND you still feel like playing this game (at some point your pride has to get tired of him screwing around), then give him your middle offer times (x) 2 (Standard 100% markup... and, again, I'm hoping this ain't the $15k figure you already mentioned). Offer just the concept - negotiate upkeep later.

If you feel like screwing with him after he does finally show his hand by discussing a figure ask him how much he was planning to spend if you ALSO agree to throw in the copyright (that ought to throw him for a loop). (Maybe this'd be to gratuitous, he sounds hard enough to negoitiate with as it is....)

Unless you really think you have the time and money for developing this and/or the Titan's success this year will find you other buyers, negotiate between your medium and lowest range (starting at the medium and negotiating DOWN!). But only if this idiot can give you ANY counteroffer to your $15k suggestion. (Again unless you have no pride and really would sell it for anything you could get - I'm guessing from your tone that the site means something to you besides $100!)

Seriously, let us all know the next chapter!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for your reply.

I sort of followed your guide in termining my original proposal and I did add what I call "wiggle room" of 50% markup of what I would probably take.

Basically, I am already at the point where he will have to respond to me in writing if we are to have any further negotiations. He's already stated there was miscommunication for me to propose to him what I did.

Playing Devil's Advocate here but here is what I think is going on. The guy has this great idea (and it is) but a lot has to happen before it can work. Namely, he has to secure NFL licencing to use the Titans logo. It is a large sum of cash plus a percentage of everything he sells. On top of that, they have to approve the use of anything he does with the logo. So I think he's early on in the process here of making this project actually happen.

But one day, he stumbles across my site because my domain and his is somewhat simular. And he immediately thinks my site would be perfect for what he wants to do. So he calls me.

I honestly think he believed that I would switch the domain name to his, change my site to accomodate his products and maintain the site to suit his needs because he would be bringing more visitors to the site through other media he plans to purchase. Kind of like "I bring you the masses and you reap the benefits". Except he has not shown me anything yet to indicate he has all this "other media" purchased.

He's a big talker. He has this in the works and that in the works and I'm a "put it in writing/show me the money" kind of guy.

I guess I thought it was beyond possibility for him to expect me to 1) kill my site and give him the concept and content, 2) maintain his site for free in the hopes these advertisers would start coming out of the woodworks throwing money at me.

I will let you know how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by VW
    If your answer is yes to both then dont sell it for less than 10Gs
    However if you are not planing to promote it or you feel the site is a dead end, sell it for 2Gs and ask for $700 per month (Based on 30 hours per month) for a duration of 1 year.
    $10,000? That's what it's worth? No offense here to the owner of the site, but that seems way too high. Not sure what "concept" he would be buying - he's allowed to start his own Titans fan site and put up sections similar to the ones you have...if he's buying it what is he really getting?

Is he getting traffic? If you give me a month or two I could create a site from scratch getting 100 unique hits a day (in fact, I did. ), and I certainly don't think that 100 hits a day (or even 500 hits a day, for that matter) is worth $10,000.

My guess? He won't pay anything near $10,000, or even $5,000. If he does, I think he is making a mistake, unless there are more important things about this site which have not been mentioned yet.

Websites are just not worth that much - it's not like a real life business where things like offices and customer bases are involved...

Ponder this: if you had $10,000 to create a site with, you could hire a very nice designer, a decent programmer, and still have a couple thousand left for promotion alone...next thing you know you likely have more than 100 hits a day, a database-driven site and highly professional layout.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make some very valid points. But we both know there is more to a successful site than the design itself.

Obviously, he can start from scratch and do this on his own. But if he does exactly what I am doing as far as concept, it's clearly going to look like a rip-off. Especially since my site has been featured in the media and is already established. His visitors are already my visitors.

In the event he tried to duplicate my site, there are even copyright issues which could come into play.

He also has to consider the time it takes to interview, write, do photography, etc. It goes well beyond just the look of the site itself. I can update my site in a few hours. Finding people to interview, getting fans to submit stories and photos and writing the updates are what takes time.

There is also the factor of time. He needs a fully-completed site now. He needs someone to manage not only its look but content. Neither of these he is qualified or has the time to manage.

Consider this. He is going to have to pay someone to do this site. Why not hire the person who created the product you want? Already established? Already with a following? Already in place? Already receiving notice in the local media?

Add that up and $10,000 or $15,000 is a small price to pay IF you want an established site that is perfect for your needs and ready to go.

I may be wrong. But this site is my hobby as well. I can't give it up for less than I think it's worth even if it never earns me a penny.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You explain yourself well 12thmanJeff. The fact is concepts (and established Web sites) CAN be worth much more than 10/15k. Again though, things are really only worth what either the owner would be willing to take to part with it OR what others are willing to pay for it.

If dork-businessman here only wants to spend $50 for the site then to him it's only "worth" $50. If 12thmanJeff won't sell the site for less than $15k then I guess for now the site's worth $15k.

The hard thing about selling anything is getting the best price you can without scaring off the customer. Our own sense of valuation may or may not get in the way of this.

But that works both ways. Don't automatically think small - a man who thinks small is bound to stay small. Men, many men have made fortunes off of concepts. I believe this is the new economy. Trust me, with the proper innovative concept there are TONS of people who have the education, know how and money who WILL give you the proper valuation for your concept.

The hardest part to negotiations is getting past your own ego (big or small) to allow the market to find it's best valuation for your idea.

I am sure that TWTcommish would pay well over $10k for Yahoo, AOL, eBay, etc, etc. These sites (and thousands more) started out purely as a concept. In their infancy they were "just" websites. Don't underestimate the value of your concepts. (But don't cut off your nose to spite your face either) THINK BIG!!!! I've been watching this forum for a while. Trust me, there is no one on this site that is stupid. Any one of us may be the next eBay, Yahoo, or AOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I would for Yahoo - because it's a huge successful site.

Your site, while good, is not amazing original. Why would it look like a ripoff if he started a Titans fan site with general news, events, weather reports, interviews, and things like that? Those are basic team things - the NFL.com site had them before all fan sites basically, but that doesn't mean that anyone is ripping off anyone else.

I didn't say a concept isn't worth $10K - I said this concept isn't, because I don't see much of a concept. This is not a knock on you, but I didn't see anything on the site that struck me as a highly original or impressive idea. It's a typical fan site, but nicer than most.

The site's worth to you is not the site's worth to everyone else. There is no doubt in my mind that a better site could be created with $10,000, and considering the contract to be written and negotiations, it wouldn't take much longer, and would likely get a lot more traffic, and have a site designed by a pro, as well as a database.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading those long and granny conversation.

I have another idea that come to my mind.
    That is by selling some percentage of your concept for dollars, example sell him 50% of the concept.In exchange for some real hard cash. <The amount of this should be calculated according to your time usage,marketing,writing and etc... and do remember multiply it by 500%-1000% times for that 50% of your concept. Remember not 100% sell it to him.>
    Following this i tell you the reason why i have this idea for you.

Just like the capitalis, invest money by exchanging the percentage of your company. But the different between you and those ventures is that, you are already successful in getting a good and original concept. what more you are already establish in those media. As you had already been feature in those media and your traffic is growning daily.
    Another reason why he want to buy up your concept is that because you probaly had a better concept than his and also the two of you had a similar daomain name, that he see you snathing away his potential customer.

In this way i need you to verfy some of those mention.
    WHO IS HE ?
    A manager of those teams
    A person who sell titan stuff
    A person who....etc
    The reason i ask those things is that i need to know whether he got the financial support to pay you for those concept sold to him.<who know he may just ripped you off.>

In summary :

Yahh, you should also include all those idea giving to you early by other member of this thread.

1.If you are not happy with him<yah, i mean the price he want to buy up>
    Sell percentage of your concept to him, instead of selling of the whole concept to him. In this way he got no excuse of being no financial support to buy the whole thing.
    2.You are still a shareholder of the concept you had hardly created.
    3.Think BIG and don't underestimated your concept. Who know you may be another Yahoo(creator, Sorry forget the name already.)

For your reference:
    Yahoo also had a concept at the begining by keeping a link to their favourite site and then slowly it become a house full of links and eventually become a directory not a search engine anymore. Where else, E-bay is an investment made by capitalis to venture in money and open up that E-BAY with lots of cash in hand.Compare to yahoo, Yahoo got a high value stock but with no cash, on the other hand E-bay got high value stock too because they got lots of money in hand.

Why yahoo got so high value stock, because the creator of yahoo had a concept first and E-bay is just a copycat so it need lot's of cash in hand to keep it's stock really high.

Lastly, whatever your decision you take just think twice and really consider properly. if you are still loosing your way, just post it here. And the Sitepoint member will help you.

If you want to contact me just e-mail me at Juanda2000@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBay is not a Yahoo! copycat at all - what makes you think that? Jerry Yang is one of Yahoo!'s founds, BTW.

Could he be the next Yahoo!? No. Because many other fan sites on football exist. Yahoo was clearly original, this is clearly not. Again: that's not a knock on the owner, but this site does not seem to contain anything significantly original.

I don't think ya'll get it: what makes this site so valuable?

Here's the list:

• Traffic: can't be it...the cash can be spent on promotion and can bring in a lot more than 100 hits a day.
    • Concept: I see no highly original concepts - IE: nothing he couldn't put on his own new site without being a ripoff in any way, shape or form.
    • Graphics/Layout: It's decent, but not worth $10,000 considering the fact that for a couple thousand you can hire a fairly top level developer.

Now, so far people have replied with "Well, a concept can be worth a lot...", "look at Yahoo!", or "well, I put a lot of work into it" - all that should matter to this guy is what he gets out of the deal. He won't pay more because you spent a lot of time on it - assuming he's a reasonable businessman, he'll pay for it based on what it will be worth to him.

I hope this clears some things up. I highly doubt he'll pay anything even close to $10,000 - the site's worth is relative: and to HIM, it is not worth that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Juanda
    Where else, E-bay is an investment made by capitalis to venture in money and open up that E-BAY with lots of cash in hand.Compare to yahoo, Yahoo got a high value stock but with no cash, on the other hand E-bay got high value stock too because they got lots of money in hand.

Why yahoo got so high value stock, because the creator of yahoo had a concept first and E-bay is just a copycat so it need lot's of cash in hand to keep it's stock really high.
    eBay was started when a man setup a site for his wife to auction off Pez Despensers, and it become wildly popular very quickly. Yes, he happened to be successful, but he came up with an idea just like anyone would. The fact that he had money to help start it up does not diminsh the idea, which is a fabulous one.

Without much capital at all, I still believe eBay would have been highly popular. The cash was just a boost, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the result he take, hope he drop us aline and tell us.

One more reminder.

To be succesful, you must have your own mind. Take others people idea for reference(that include mine too and the others) and if that idea is suitable for you.

Do it.
    YAhh

JUST DO IT !

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWTCommish - Thanks for your reply.

You may be very correct in that the concept isn't as unique as some. And you are correct in that he could hire a team of interviewers, writers, photographers, designers, etc. and create a dang good site that would serve him well.

But will they know who to interview? Will they get fan feedback? Do they have the connections? Can they pull it all together to launch within a month? And do it for $10,000?

Maybe. I'm sure there are many cases of someone creating a website that was good but someone else's is now better because they could improve on a good idea.

Not only does he get more of a proven winner with potential upside, he removes me as competition.

I sort of see it like a magazine. I'm already in the stands and being read. The subscriptions are increasing. Someone comes along who wants to publish their own magazine. Is it smarter for him to buy out the one already in place that he clearly already likes or start his own?

Does he consider the fact that he might also benefit from being the only magazine on the rack instead of readers having to choose between two?

Again, I just think there is a lot of stuff involved here besides concept and design.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWTCommish & Juanda

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this with me. And I am not offended in the least for anyone's opinion. All have their valid points.

Obviously, I do take a lot of pride in my ideas and work. So there is the risk of overpricing myself. But then again, it's a tough task to do when you have no idea what a potential buyer is willing to pay.

It appears a buyout with me doing the ongoing work may not be what he wanted. He may have thought that I would change the domain name to his and maintain the site because I am doing it now as a hobby and he could possibly bring more visitors to the site and possible future advertisers.

For me, it makes little sense to do this if this was the case. Any opinions?

Time will tell and I will gladly report the outcome here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than concept, layout and traffic? Yes, there is the issue of competition, but a site with $10,000 to put into design, programming and promotion would likely do much better. Yes, you are there and growing, but he could be there and growing faster with more upside in about as much time as I would imagine sorting out the sale would take.

There is obviously value in removing competition and not having to do any labor himself, but is that worth $10,000? In my opinion: not nearly...especially if we're talking about possibly hiring you anyway.

Good luck with your dealings, I hope you do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think the design and content may be worth 10k. It would a dificult, in my opinion, to set up a site like this and promote it for 10k. It could be possible, no doubt, but it don't think it would be easy. But, of course, if he did this it would be his site, he would own it. Also in his favor: 50-100 hits a say is NOT very much!
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $10K? Man, do you guys realize how much that is? He could probably hire a sports writer for awhile with his budget there. Sorry, but this looks like another case of people over-valuing things, like they do with domain apparaisals or dot-com startups.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, ok, ok - there's so much rambling here I finally actually went and checked out the site. Here's my (albiet humble) opinion....

If I were a successfull businessman, with big ideas for generating income, and a related business I think the site, as a turn key business is worth $10k. Now AGAIN anything is only worth what someone will pay for it or what the owner will let it go for, and whether that's $10k for this site or not I don't know.

It's well put together, has content (a little thin), looks professional and has a sufficient niche.

Here's what I'd do:

I'd offer $2k IF 12thmanJeff would agree to continue running the site for six months with an option for me to renew the contract for another year if I liked what I saw. $2k!!! For 12thmanJeff to CONTINUE WORKING FOR SIX MONTHS! WHATTA RIP - HE COULD GET THAT WORKING FOR MINIMUM WAGE! Yep, that's how negoitations start - me offering as low as I think might get his attention. Now, I would go to $10k BUT, again only if I got Jeff in the deal for at least a few months, preferrably for a year. But the fun really is in all those negotiations - finding out creative ways for the minds to meet! Again, I wouldn't make this offer unless my business already had something significant to do w/ the Titans AND I had big ideas AND was already a successfull businessman.

twtcommish I like you and always enjoy your posts but in business 10k ain't that much. Not if this guy really plans on making a business that generates significant income.

People shouldn't let their present reality be the limits of what they believe they can achieve. Don't let your current situation confine your dreams! Thinking small does not support the potental that is within not just you, but in everyone.

Just because I don't have $50 in my bank account does not mean that I cannot be a millionaire within the year. Believe that your ideas are worth big money then work to make it so. And a great concept is ALL you need. There are plenty of people out there who have the brains, money, and effort to make a great concept into $! You supply the concept - they WILL supply the $.

Live the life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com