SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frames and IE for Mac

Hello everybody,

I use this xhtml frameset and have absolutely no problems in most of the times however, it seems like the only browser having trouuble with my frameset is ie 5 for the mac. It displays white frameborders. Anybody familiar with this problem?

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by langedav
    Hello everybody,

I use this xhtml frameset and have absolutely no problems in most of the times however, it seems like the only browser having trouuble with my frameset is ie 5 for the mac. It displays white frameborders. Anybody familiar with this problem?
    Is the problem on your website http://www.reactor-events.com/ ?

Tell so I can have a look!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before looking at the problem closer, I can tell, that you must make a change in the headers of your document.

1. Delete line 1: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

2. Replace your Doctype with:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

I think this must help!!! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts
    Is the problem on your website http://www.reactor-events.com/ ?

Tell so I can have a look!
    no it is on www.deloft.nl/test.htm thanks

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting reading on the subject of xhtml frames... http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2003/0...eking_vwm.html
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errors

Line 7: The "content" attribute has an invalid attribute value "". Try using one of the following values: an alphanumeric string or a string.

Line 35, 37: You've used the "body" element before the "frameset" element. This normally causes the "frameset" element to be ignored.

Lines 35, 36, 37, 38 : In XHTML, enumerated attribute values are case sensitive and must be lowercase. Instead of "NO", use "no". This is in contrast to HTML, where values are normally case-insensitive.

Line 36, 38, 39: The "frame" tag must be closed by adding a slash to the end of the tag (<frame ... /> ) or by a separate end tag (</frame> ).

Line 36, 38: The attribute "noresize" does not have a value. All attributes must have a value. This is required for XHTML/XML documents or if the option to require attribute values is enabled.

[img]images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Some extra advices: In XHTML documents, style and script content should not be in a comment because it technically means that the browser will see it as a comment and not as actual style or script content (though browsers are currently forgiving about this). However, not using comments makes your document less compatible with pre HTML 3.2 browsers (but most browsers in use now are HTML 3.2+ compatible). For maximum compatibility, AI Internet Solutions recommends putting the script (especially longer scripts) in an external file and using the "src" attribute to specify the external file. The next best option for XHTML documents would be to not put the script content in a comment and to disregard pre HTML 3.2 browsers.

[img]images/smilies/xeye.gif[/img] Oh!!! I guess you have forgotten to delete the first line of your code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> Do that please.

[img]images/smilies/nod.gif[/img] If you fix all these errors, I will check your page again. I hope I did not miss something. If I didn't, your page will validate and have the maximum backward compatibility possible for your document type!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks webnauts, i wasn't quite finished cleaning up my documents, a lot of copy paste action caused "dirty" html. I fixed that now.

Hopefully you will look at my problem again now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE='redux']interesting reading on the subject of xhtml frames... http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2003/03/04/swf_seeking_vwm.html[/QUOTE]

I was familiar with the reading but thanks anyway.

and uhh I know my doucument was a mess but i cleaned it now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, i am so sorry i am confused about to toppings i need help with :-s i thought i was posting here about the problems i posted in another topping.

does anybody know a way of showing an image "above" 2 frames?? what i mean is i want to position an image right in the middle of 2 frames.

on this url: www.deloft.nl/test.htm i want to posituion the [nieuws <] visual about 15px up but then it crosses 2 frames.

Any help would be more then welcome here