User Tag List

Thread: Digital Camera

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone

I am after a digital camera and I need to decide SOON which oen I want as it is to be a Chritmas present to me.

Ideally I want to spend no more than 300ish.

The camera is ideally for capturing images that I will be putting on the web, but I don't want to limit myslef to that as I might be using it to replace my normal camera in the future so it still needs to be able to capture at a resolution that will print well.

Features that I want include:

* optical zoom
    * 8Mb storage
    * auto focus
    * auto flash
    * LCD display

Help anyone?

I am currently looking at the:
    Kodak DC3400
    Fuji FINEPIX 1400Z

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Nicky~ Realize that the quality of the image that your client views or is uploaded to your website will be dependent upon the resolution of the digital camera that you choose - the greater the resolution, the better the image and that means that you may have to pay the higher price. But the prices have been coming down recently, while the features have been improving!

* I don't have to tell you that you will be reducing your images to 72res for the web, but you need the highest resolution for your original image in order for a quality edit.

You can cut $100, $200 and more by smart shopping at online and brick & mortar electronic stores - so you most likely will get a higher priced, better model at the lower price that you want...Compare prices at "CNET Digital" and also another good site for digital is "Imaging-Resource" which compares the various camera's features.

Basically all low-end digital cameras are the same, but you want to check out the 'bundled' software package that comes with it to make sure it has what you need ~ that will make the difference in which camera to buy yourself...

p.s. I am biased towards Kodak and use the DC290 for professional use (portrait & web), but I was able to save $300 by shopping around.
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks webkat, I have been to Imaging Resource and it is a good site. I do like the Kodak but at the moment I am tending to gravitate towards the Fuji because there is an offer on it at the moment on the high street. I have not seen it chepaer online.

The Kodak I mentioned above i have seen online for 363 whislt the Fuji is for sale in PCWorld for 269.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the features & image quality are the same between the two cameras, I would definitely go with the lower price.

When I have recommended cameras before, I have often suggested to go to a camera/electronics store because sometimes little things like the 'feel' of the camera while taking pictures can be a deciding factor ~
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    The Kodak I mentioned above i have seen online for 363 whislt the Fuji is for sale in PCWorld for 269.
    Boycott PC World, Dixons, @Jakarta, Currys (and The Link). They are all part of DSG Retail and making a product one price in one store and a different price in another is senseless.

I have the Epson PhotoPC650 myself. I would take a look at Epson cameras (the higher end range) as well as Fuji.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saltire - I agree! I hate any store in the Dixon's group. However, I am on a budget so if they are going to offer something cheaper then I might consider it.