SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a small, 4-door car, powered by an internal combustion engine.
    ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
    http://www.computerbob.com
    - XHTML 1.0 Strict + CSS Layout
    Ratings | Forums | Software | Polls | Weird | Quotes | Weather
    Guest Articles | Free Greeting Cards | CB Awards | Search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats with Web Designers/Programers and VW's. I know way to many???

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy... I love it
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erg. A 1994 Chevy Cavalier? Hey at least I put a decent Kenwood head unit in it. My wife had a 93 Mustang 5.0 but we retired it 2 days ago. Something about 170k miles and too much freakin' work to be done.

Our insurance is right at about $1200/yr for both cars.

When we have the money, I'll be looking into getting a Nissan 350Z.... :drool: Rust color... :drool:

Oh wait...no, a mini-van for the wife and kid, nevermind.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    I love my car, I got it last October.

2001 Camaro RS. It has chrome rims, the hood from a z28 so it looks like a z28 (but is not), ground effects, an extra spoiler add-on, a custom grill insert, leather seats, t-tops, monsoon audio, g-force tires. I also just got altezza taillights but one came damaged so I had to return them. I also just got chrome insert stickers for the back "Camaro" embossment to make it stand out more -- but I wouldn't really call that a mod since it was like $5.

http://www.thebeasleys.org/car/

Very nice car, what'd that set you back?
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    When we have the money, I'll be looking into getting a Nissan 350Z.... :drool: Rust color... :drool:

Oh wait...no, a mini-van for the wife and kid, nevermind.
    Why not have both Get the Nissan performance you want, the luxury she'll like, and the room to haul your kids around, check out the Infiniti FX45/FX35. Very fun, very practical.
    Blogs.ca Social directory for Canadian bloggers and their readers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride around in a 98 Mazda 626. (It needs a bit of work, but its an okay machine...) My wife drives a 98 Honda Civic. (No mods, it's been wrecked...) In the next year we plan on getting a new Mini for her (metallic blue, loaded) and one of the new Scion xBs (fully loaded) for me. I can't wait.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naramation
    Very nice car, what'd that set you back?
    18 grand.

I bought it from a salesman at a Chevy Dealership (it was the salesman's personal car, it wasn't a dealership car). But he ran up some debt and had to sell the car quickly so I got a pretty good deal. He also had the inside track on getting extras for it, he's the one who got the hood and stuff.

Still have about 3 or 4 grand left to pay off. I put 5 down initially then in the spring put another 5 down.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Wow, I thought mine was bad! ($2k/year) You pay more for insurance than I do for my car payment! [img]/images/smilies/eek2.gif[/img]
    I pay more for insurance than I do for MY car payment
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    I pay more for insurance than I do for MY car payment
    I pay $162 a month for full coverage on my car, my wife's car, and renter's ins. with State Farm. Sounds to me like you guys are getting ripped...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget, he's in Canada...
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Toronto, Etobicoke specifically. Second worst area for insurance in the country. Plus, the insurance industry's very different in Canada, there are currently no caps on payouts (like if someone sues for damages in an accident).

New legislation will be introduced soon to fix that, and my insurance should drop to about 300$, and then drop to 200$ when I'm 25 (in a year) and then to less than 100$ before I'm 27.

So, a little bit of waiting.

It's funny, my friend lives in a different area of TO and he's 27 and his insurance is 14$/month.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend whose insurance was like $600/mo. and he was driving an old Chevy Corsica. He had wrecked a few cars and had tons of tickets. Seems like he was getting in a wreck or getting a ticket every month... Everyone was surprised that he still had a license.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in one not-at-fault accident 2 years ago, but besides that it's just the area of town and the fact that I'm under 25.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjmedlock
    I pay $162 a month for full coverage on my car, my wife's car, and renter's ins. with State Farm. Sounds to me like you guys are getting ripped...
    I have a relatively bad driving record (lots of speeding tickets when I was 17, stupid, and thought I was invincible). I also have to have full coverage on my car since it's financed. Haven't gotten a ticket in a few years now, but my past still haunts me .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, when your ins. rates drop, i'm sure you'll be gald to have a couple hundred extra to spend on the baby. I can't wait until I'm 25 (in 4.5 years) and my insurance drops.

Of course, as your car insurance drops, your life insurance goes up, so its a catch 22. Unless you can get in with a company that will let you purchase a fixed rate policy. (I forget what the real name of it is...) Then you can buy in cheap when you're young and still be paying the same amount 40 years later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I have a relatively bad driving record (lots of speeding tickets when I was 17, stupid, and thought I was invincible). I also have to have full coverage on my car since it's financed. Haven't gotten a ticket in a few years now, but my past still haunts me .
    Those tickets when you were 17 should be long gone by now. Traffic laws are probably different in FL than in TN, though. In TN, the tickets are gone after a year, I think. At least, the points are off your license after that. I got a speeding ticket a few months ago, but my insurance didn't even go up. (In fact, it went down... )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life insurance doesn't go up that much, maybe 3$/month. Term insurance baby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here buying a car costs a lot (50%-100% import tax!!!) but insurance is really low. For my Alfa Romeo I can get a "third party" insurance for $120 per year. (insurance has to pay no matter what, even if i crash on a Ferrari and I send the driver to the hospital). A "comprehensive" one to also cover my own car for $28000 would be less than $500 per year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjmedlock
    Those tickets when you were 17 should be long gone by now. Traffic laws are probably different in FL than in TN, though. In TN, the tickets are gone after a year, I think. At least, the points are off your license after that. I got a speeding ticket a few months ago, but my insurance didn't even go up. (In fact, it went down... )
    Yeah, in Florida tickets are on your record for 3 years and suspensions for 5 if I remember correctly. My last ticket was 2 years ago (no proof of insurance, and I got out of it for $5 because I found the insurance card later that day because it was stuck behind my glove compartment ). Over the next two years I'm getting married and turning 25 anyway, so my rate should really drop .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive a 91 Toyota Corolla. Besides the mini coopers that infect my town I must have the smallest car. No effects or anything special going on... Just put on a new tire today that I blew out on the highway.

It get's me around and it's nice and small easy to zip around cars making a left turn.

I just got a new quote for insurance yesterday... Fricken $114 a month, with no tickets and no accidents for 5 years! My sister who is younger than me pays $78.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Spider
    I just got a new quote for insurance yesterday... Fricken $114 a month, with no tickets and no accidents for 5 years! My sister who is younger than me pays $78.
    Women almost always pay less than men. However, to counter the stereotype I just gave, I knew a girl in Jacksonville who paid $700/month in insurance costs for her 2001 Saturn. She was an extremely bad driver. Luckily she moved to New York City last summer and sold her car .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love NYC. You don't have to own a car and you have the entire city as your playground. Lived there for 2 years and if I could afford it, I'd live there again. Been thinking of doing a Master's at NYU, but it doesn't look like they have any Master's programs that really interest me.

Back to the girl, fortunately for her, she can be a bad driver in NYC and no one would notice. They'd prolly just think she was a cabbie or a bus driver.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Spider
    I drive a 91 Toyota Corolla. Besides the mini coopers that infect my town I must have the smallest car. No effects or anything special going on... Just put on a new tire today that I blew out on the highway.

It get's me around and it's nice and small easy to zip around cars making a left turn.

I'm gonna go test drive a Mini Cooper this weekend maybe... I'd like to buy/lease one as soon as my wife's car is paid off. I think it'll be a fun car to drive. And I like the panoramic sunroof and the speedometer in the middle.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    I love my car, I got it last October.

2001 Camaro RS. It has chrome rims, the hood from a z28 so it looks like a z28 (but is not), ground effects, an extra spoiler add-on, a custom grill insert, leather seats, t-tops, monsoon audio, g-force tires. I also just got altezza taillights but one came damaged so I had to return them. I also just got chrome insert stickers for the back "Camaro" embossment to make it stand out more -- but I wouldn't really call that a mod since it was like $5.

http://www.thebeasleys.org/car/
    Nice car! I used to own a 2000 V6 Camaro before I bought my current Camaro. The Z28 and V6 Camaros share the same hood, so you've actually got an SS hood, not a Z28 hood. And PLEASE don't put Alteezas on an American muscle car--that's so rice.

Here's my car, a 1999 Camaro SS. It's rated at 320 HP stock, but with the modifications I've done I'm hoping for over 340 at the wheels. Next on the list are a SPEC Stage III clutch and a new cam.

For more info: http://webpages.charter.net/joshwhite/

http://webpages.charter.net/joshwhite/wp.jpg

Josh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    Back to the girl, fortunately for her, she can be a bad driver in NYC and no one would notice. They'd prolly just think she was a cabbie or a bus driver.
    Oh I know that. I went to visit my aunt a few years ago in Long Island. She took us to the city for a couple of days...I had never even heard of passing on the sidewalk until then