SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suzkaw
    Yea but the 1000 didn't come with the Telefonica Edition so I had to go with the 600
    Good point

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there was a drag Vette that can do 0-60 in 2 seconds or maybe even less
    Yup, Lingenfelter 427 TT, 0-60 1.9Seconds, and it's not just for dragging, the car handles exceptionally well too.
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that also the one that, to look at it, you'd think it was just a plain old Vette?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benz SLK

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, Benz SL600.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive a 95 Sable Wagon... nothing fancy, but I have a nice CD deck, and it's kinda ballsy (so I can pass people on the high way no problem). It gets me from A to B. And, you know, it was free.

Cars I like (and might like to own):

Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe
    Nissan Skyline GT-R34/R35
    Maybach 57
    Saleen S7
    BMW 745il

Mmm... someday.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z0s0
    Hmm. Reminds of this wickedly funny page:
    http://www.riceboypage.com/

I saw something great in my street the other morning... was just a regular corolla or similar, and had these windscreen wiper inserts with decals saying: "Windscreen Wipers. Type R(tm)". I laughed all way to the office. It was priceless.

I'm quite the opposite - performance over appearance anytime. But I spend quite a lot of time at the racetrack and not a lot of time on public roads. Well not riding anything particularly powerful, anyway.
    Not really the same thing.

I'd rather spend money to make my car look good than to give it more horse power that I'll never use.

However, I'm not sticking a 3-foot spoiler on a little compact to make it look fast. I've got a sports car that looks fast without anything extra, and is actually fast to boot. I have no problem beating anyone at a stop light.

I also don't add cheap looking decals to mine, I think racing stripes, stickers, and other things are bad looking. I want my car to be sleek and shiny and I'll won't add anything to change that.

I'd just rather have a unique looking camaro than a stock looking camaro. I might get some performance additions one day but only if they have benefits other than just more speed.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    I'd just rather have a unique looking camaro than a stock looking camaro. I might get some performance additions one day but only if they have benefits other than just more speed.
    A lot of them (intakes, exhaust) can increase your gas mileage if done correctly, saving you some cash in these oil-strapped times. Fuel economy starts to degrade when you start messing with components like turbos or changing out your computer chip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suzkaw
    Yea but the 1000 didn't come with the Telefonica Edition so I had to go with the 600
    Yeah but the 1000 has USD forks. "Fully shick, moite!"

Oh dear. I expect if I ever break through 1:47 at the Island on the R6, then it might be time for an R1. Might be.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    A lot of them (intakes, exhaust) can increase your gas mileage if done correctly, saving you some cash in these oil-strapped times. Fuel economy starts to degrade when you start messing with components like turbos or changing out your computer chip.
    After increasing power by about 70hp, I get about 3-4MPG better Gas Milage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah turbo charged cars should generally be more ecomical when driven normally (compared to the same engine without a turbo!). But since turbo's are more often than not on a small engine (like 2L or less) you have to drive around on boost everywhere because there's no torque That's what I like about RB30ET's the best of both worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    yeah turbo charged cars should generally be more ecomical when driven normally (compared to the same engine without a turbo!). But since turbo's are more often than not on a small engine (like 2L or less) you have to drive around on boost everywhere because there's no torque That's what I like about RB30ET's the best of both worlds
    Yeah, fortunately for me, the 7M-GTE has over 245lbs/ft of torque stock.

(PS: I just read the official MPG rating of the McLaren Mercedes F1 car: 3.4MPG, )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest thing you could do to that Camaro to boost economy would be to lighten it. Camaros suffer from the same things Vettes, old Monte Carlos (the new Carlos just suck speed-wise regardless...), and Mustangs do: they're too damn heavy.

BTW... a properly tuned chip will actually help your gas mileage, not hurt it, as long as it's not tuned for racing, turbos, nitrous, or non-pump fuel. The chips the manufacturers put in are tuned for a very wide range of conditions and driving habits, so they're sort of vanilla in the middle when it comes to performance and mileage so that they generically cover all situations.

I don't know why people are knocking aspen's car. It's one of the nicest looking Camaros out there (and to whoever mentioned the spoiler... that's the stock spoiler.. I don't think you can even get a Z28 without it) - it still looks stock at a glance, but has enough unique features about it to make you look twice. Frankly, if you were gonna to do any performance mods, get a good low-restriction, cat-back exhaust on it, mass air, a custom-tuned chip (if you don't do all three you risk throwing trouble codes on the factory chip, and worse, misfires in the engine), and maybe some lighter body parts. All together, you'll get maybe another 25-40 horses and 15-20 lb/ft torque depending on what you get. The lighter parts will help it handle better and all of those additions will help boost the gas mileage a little (maybe 3-4 gals max). Plus, you can keep the parts you take off and sell them - especially the exhaust. A Z28 exhaust can be pretty valuable to customizers who're looking for a really good base exhaust for customizing on a weaker car.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    (PS: I just read the official MPG rating of the McLaren Mercedes F1 car: 3.4MPG, )

I know someday the ratio will flip and we'll see 3.4GPM. That's when I shed a tear for the environment

Quote Originally Posted by Ctb
    BTW... a properly tuned chip will actually help your gas mileage, not hurt it, as long as it's not tuned for racing, turbos, nitrous, or non-pump fuel. The chips the manufacturers put in are tuned for a very wide range of conditions and driving habits, so they're sort of vanilla in the middle when it comes to performance and mileage so that they generically cover all situations.
    Yes, I should have clarified that a little better . Changing out your computer chip can lead to better mileage if you get the right one. It's kinda like Gentoo vs RedHat: Gentoo is fully optimized for your computer if you want to compile and tweak everything, but RedHat works on almost anything and is a quick install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Fuel Dragsters use 4 gallons for the 1/4 mile....

meaning: 16GPM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    Top Fuel Dragsters use 4 gallons for the 1/4 mile....

meaning: 16GPM.
    Don't they also use 115-octane (or close, I don't remember the exact octane rating) racing fuel? That's gotta get pricey, but then again I'm sure you have to have a fairly decent amount of money to be able to buy a dragster, let alone support one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on what the octane equivalent to pure Nitrous Oxide would be, but that's what they run.... 4 gallons of the stuff.

(Over 7000 HP though. 1/4 mile time: 4.1 seconds @ 330MPH)
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; Mar 1, 2004 at 10:40.

SitePoint Enthusiast cloudybutnice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mazda MX5 and I love it to bits.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford Focus TDDI , I like it .

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My car now is a 2005 F350 4x4 Diesel which was paid for in full with the sale of my previous car. The truck is boring so I'll talk about my previous car...

A 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. Sticker was $52k I got it for $39K. Put 150,000 miles on it and sold it ten years later for what I paid for it - $39K. My license plate read "Mac Daddy" (note this was when I was younger). Then later I wanted a girl friend so I changed it to "O My God". Yes stupid and immature now. But a lot of fun back then. This was my pride and joy and I should of kept it. But I was growing a family and times changed.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the plate now ?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is an old, old thread which obviously someone else has used to expose himsefl.. so I'm closing it. Sorry Chris, you will not know the plate now