SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a new digital camcorder (canon zr-10) and I have adobe premier... my question: how do i capture the video feed through my firewire port (built in my compaq) so i can edit?

Please help... and if you know another way or program not using premier... that is ok

Thanks
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of port does your camera have?
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its got a FireWire.

The ZR-10 does not come with a FireWire Cord.

Go purchase one.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a firewire cord... my question is once i physicaly connect the camera to the computer, using premier (or another software) how do I caputre the video...

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean but if you have all the hardware connected all you ahve to do is press play on your camera and record/capture in Premiere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to state the obvious, but what does the Premier manual say? It seems like if the connection is not the problem, all you have to do is read the manual about how to operate the software.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    File --> Capture --> Video (Or Similiar).

Make sure its setup

Then hit play on camera, then record/capture in Premiere.

Make sure that Premier Supports your Camera.

Some people puzzle me...
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is where my problem is... i know how to capture....

File > capture > movie capture > ???? but then I do not know how to get the firewire port to come into play

- I tried clicking "VFW settings" then "Video Input" and tried the options "tuner, composite, svideo" and none seemed to work....

I do not have the manuel anymore... i lost that along with my compaq manual which i wanted to look at for the port of the firewire

.... and Adam, thanks for your help but "Some people puzzle me..." I am sorry that I am an enigma to you, but I am having some trouble!

-Steve

... and I have been able to capture video through the serial port in the past, it is just I do not know how to do it in premier, so please don't insult my inteligence becuase I am unfamiliar with how to capture from a firewire.

<Edited by stevek on 11-26-2000 at 06:29 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. You've got to be more specific when you ask a question. It looked like you simply didn't know how to use your software.

Have you gone to www.compaq.com? Most manufacturers have the manuals online. I think Compaq has a help forum or something.

You ought to be able to get a manual for Premier in the same manner.
    <Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-26-2000 at 07:31 PM>
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry that I look like I dont know how to use my software... fact is, I am not an expert on premiere. However, I do know how to capture video just not throught Firewire. I went to adobe's website... no help. I also went to compaq's website and I only found information regarding the firewire on which cameras it supports. Please, if someone knows how to capture video through a firewire, please inform me.

I know that I need to learn my software better, but that is why I am in this form, for support!

... I have a book on Premier... no help in the firewire section, and when I got to the help part of Premiere for firewire, it tells me that I need to capture it onto my computer and then edit... that is what my problem is!

-Steve

It would be great if someone here has a digital camera and captures his/her video feed through firewire and could tell me how to do it. I know I need to look through manuels and FAQs but I only need to be told once
    =)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't meant to insult you in any way shape and or form, or was any offense meant towards you.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason we keep pointing you back to the manuals is because unless we have the same software, camera, and PC, it is hard to diagnose the problem. It is not to pick on you or give you a hard time. I'm sorry if I came across that way. It was not my intent.

Have you tried calling Adobe Tech Support or Canon?

Maybe the crowd will change a little here on Monday, and we'll have someone who has a similar combination of hardware/software.

If that doesn't happen, you might try some other forums that deal more with hardware/software issues. This board is primarily aimed at web development.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums