User Tag List

Thread: Safari support?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safari support?

My tableles CSS site works in Netscape, IE, and Opera, but Safari has a huge huge problem with it. Do you think, in your opinion, that Safari is worth the time and effort to support?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ellis
    My tableles CSS site works in Netscape, IE, and Opera, but Safari has a huge huge problem with it. Do you think, in your opinion, that Safari is worth the time and effort to support?
    Yes, especially since it's now the default browser shipping with new Macs, and because it's based on Konqueror, which is one of the leading Linux browsers. I would definitely support all browsers as well as you can (remember: support doesn't have to mean "looks the same", just "I can use the site in my browser"). If you want to, post a link to your page or some code. There are enough Safari and Konqueror users out there to give you some screenshots and suggestions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get home, I shall do so.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to see how Safari shows a site, using a PC platform? i.e., emulators or a Safari PC version (doubtful)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toecutter169
    Is there a way to see how Safari shows a site, using a PC platform? i.e., emulators or a Safari PC version (doubtful)?
    Nope, but you can install Linux on a spare partition of your hard drive and use Konqueror, which Safari is based off of. IIRC Safari is slightly more forgiving of bad code thanks to Apple's engineers (Konqueror sometimes chokes on deeply nested table layouts), so anything you see in Konqueror will probably look better in Safari. Alternately, if you don't want to mess with installing Linux, you can try http://www.browsercam.com/. Their service will take a screenshot for you in a variety of browsers with different options (i.e. IE5 for Mac OSX with Flash on, Mozilla on RedHat Linux with Java off, etc.) and e-mail those screenshots right to you. There is a fee for this service but if you don't want to buy or can't afford extra hardware it's a good way to go.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test all my work i do in Safari first and try to get it to work there. Mostly because that;s all I use on my Mac. I have had a fair bit of problems getting IE to render properly. So I will deal with that later I suppose.