SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Web Ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you all think about web rings? I am beginning to build an online community, and have been researching differnet ways to promote this new site of mine. Sitepoint, though by far the best, doesn't mention webrings, pros cons etc. Can anyone give me some advice on this subject? Much appreciated, thanks.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Renegade, and welcome to SitePoint

Web rings are a quick, inexpensive way to draw like-minded visitors to your site, whatever the topic. Rings can be used to help exchange reciprocal links on similar website topics, gain new advertisers and encourage traffic swaps. Depending on what your site is about, it might not be a bad idea to include a web ring on your site.

There are a lot of "prestigious" rings out there that will scrutinize your site and see if you're "fit" to join their clique. If you are then you might gain a substantial amount of traffic in a short time. Then there are rings started by people like your neighbor's cousin's cat, that basically sit there with no real "goal" and no real visitors. You can view how many participants a web ring has, and find out what the linking sites offer, then judge yours accordingly.

Yahoo! has recently acquired WebRing.org and you'll have to agree to their new terms and conditions if you want to sign up. Alternatively, BraveNet has a version known as "SiteRing" which is gaining most of WebRing.org's previous members. Check out both and see which best suits you.

Good luck!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would generally recommend you stay away from most webrings. There are exceptions, but most of them are groups of unprofessional, GeoCities sites. By most web gurus, webrings are thought of as a bad thing (much like most banner exchanges).
    <Edited by M. James on 11-29-2000 at 05:55 PM>

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good alternative, which offers similar results is to search out sites with similar themes to your own and arrange reciprocal links.

You link to them, they link to you. It works, and both sites benefit from increased traffic. I can't speak for everyone, but most webmasters appreciate the fact that a fellow webmaster has visited their site, likes it, and wants to change links.

SitePoint's Trading Post is a good place to start looking for people who'll trade links with you.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Marc. you have to be careful in your choice of ring as it could make your site appear unprofessional. Make sure that if you do decide to join you check out the other sites on the ring to find out if they are of the same quality as yours.

Don't forget, not only can rings attract traffic to your siter but they can also take it away!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renegade,

My suggestion: Do not use webrings. If you do, you choose the right one, because that looks very unprofesional. If you are a startup, I undersdtand that you need community, but that is not the way to do that.

Webrings are for sites like Pink Floyd Web Page or something (I AM a P.F. Fan ), or something like that.

Best Wishes,
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?