SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I am trying to change the color of a drop down menu, I guess it would be done with CSS because I can't do it another way.

This is what I have so far:

<select name="Domain Types" style="background-color: rgb(0,0,0); color: rgb(255,0,0); border-left: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-right: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-top: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0)">
    <option>.co.uk</option>
    <option>.uk.co</option>
    <option>.uk.com</option>
    </select>

But I can't get the grey border, button and arrow to change color? I would like it to match these, with the arrow being red.

<input type="text" name="textfield" maxlength="65" value="Your Domain Name" size="17" style="background-color: rgb(0,0,0); color: rgb(255,0,0); border-left: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-right: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-top: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0)">

And:

<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Submit" style="background-color: rgb(0,0,0); color: rgb(255,0,0); border-left: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-right: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-top: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0); border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0,180,0)">

Thanks in advance hope we can get it sorted.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, the effects that affect the box itself only work with IE... And as far as i know, only on Windows. (not on Macs)
    Also, don't forget to place these propoerties in a class in your stylesheet so you don't have to type them for each drop-down box.

And finally, the name of most of the properties to setup here begins by SCROLLBAR. But i don't know much further than that. I hope i was a little bit helpful.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right Shin, on all points, the biggest problem I have come up against in web design is designing something the way I want, and to get it to look the same on all browsers OS's etc.

I feel that if a certain platform can't view the page the way I would like them to view it, it is a shame but there is nothing I can do about it. So I can design a page that will look the same on every platform or, I can design a page the way I would really like it to look and this is designed for the majority of viewers (PC & IE) and as long as the miority can still see the page the way they would without the various design elements, that's ok.

I have tried the scrollbar option but couldn't get it to do it, but I am not very familiar with CSS at the mo. To be honest it's looking like I can't do it.

Thanks for your input.

"To often I want the impossible"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ShinMa---Mac's can see the colored scroll bars.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think applying styles to forms and dropdowns works in Netscape 6 now, too.

P.S. Is it a bit odd that all of us web designers want our sites to look the same to everyone? Especially since competing browsers will always make our sites appear slightly different for reasons of competition. And viewers may have screwed with their browser settings anyway. I agree with TezDread, it can be a shame, but I don't think it will go completely away--even with standards. But that's an entirely different discussion. Sorry, I guess I'm trying to play the devil's advocate.
    s-p-l-e-e-n-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <offtopic>
    spleenboy
    Just wanted to let you know that your "wed-design" site is a great iade. Very simple and the drop down menu you have is a beautiful color of blue.
    </offtopic>
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <inresponsetoofftopic>
    Thanks, creole. I'm blushing.
    </inresponsetoofftopic>
    s-p-l-e-e-n-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s