SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther
    AVG is much lighter on it's feet, much less commercial (and not associated with VeriSign ), updates quickly and doesn't interfere with peripherals like McAfee did. Thanks to those of you who recommended it.
    I've been using AVG for more than a year now. I used to have Norton but then someone recommended me to try AVG. After I installed it and ran the scan, it immediately detected a couple of virus on my pc, while Norton never detected anything, and so I switched.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know where is the cheapest place to get Norton AntiVirus? Last time I bought it for a machine, I found it cheaper somewhere else, but for the life of me I can't recall where....

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have absolutely no concerns about using AVG. I've been using it since February, 2002, on two systems that run Win98SE. It has never caused even one problem, and I have never gotten a virus while using it.

It used to take 5-7 minutes to download each AVG update over my dialup connection, but in the past several months, they must've changed how their updates work, because now they're much, much smaller, and usually download within 20-30 seconds over my dialup connection.

[Advisor edit: Link removed. Self-promotion is not allowed.]
    ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
    http://www.computerbob.com
    - XHTML 1.0 Strict + CSS Layout
    Ratings | Forums | Software | Polls | Weird | Quotes | Weather
    Guest Articles | Free Greeting Cards | CB Awards | Search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerBob
    It used to take 5-7 minutes to download each AVG update over my dialup connection, but in the past several months, they must've changed how their updates work, because now they're much, much smaller, and usually download within 20-30 seconds over my dialup connection.
    Usually the updates aren't too bad but I just now downloaded one (over 2000 kb) that took about 15 minutes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know bumping an old post! How are you all getting on with AVG? I Only ask because I ahve been running pc-cillin, and well license ran out so upgraded and the expiry date hasn't changed therefore it won't update! just as there are all these new worm virus flying around...

Anyway getting pretty frustrated with their product and support, read this thread, I have heard bad things about Norton 2004 (not the 2004) would love to hear from anyone running it... not sure on MacAfee we run it at work but concerned over Earther's comments etc

Looking into AVG and kerio personal firwall and wondered how it was holding up, as I seem to be hit regularly these days with worms, trojans and all sorts!!

Thanks
    Sarah
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with AVG - free and it checks for updates everytime I log on. I have never gotten a virus since I used it. My co-worker also has it, but does not use the daily update feature - and he has gotten viruses. Best virus protection is common sense when it comes to opening attachments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just upgraded from Norton Internet Security 2003 to version 2004. So far, the only problem I had under XP is by default if you right click on a zip file in explorer it seems to take forever because NAV wants to scan it.

I changed my configuration to use "Smart Scan" and - do not scan archives to fix the problem.

If you can get a hold of a mother board cd that has Norton on it, even though it is old, you can use it to upgrade to NIS 2004 a lot cheaper. I did this with 2003 and it ended up costing me $20 for the full package after upgrade and a rebate.

Actually, I prever the Internet Security, its got a good AV scanner, but, mostly I like the firewall. It configures most common apps automatically and a lot let hassle than using Zone Alarm (which I used in the past).

If you can't go this route, always check out Panda Anti-Virus. They make a wonderful virus scanner and I used it in the past. The only reason I didn't buy it was the fact that I could do the upgrade thing (mentioned above) and get Norton with the Firewall for a lot less than Panda AV Platinum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homescreek - looking up about NAV I saw a lot of bad press about the 2004 version (althought they did mention XP and I am on 2000)

Well I will see what response I get from Trend - but I have already looked up AVG and kerio and I think I will give them a shot!

Its crazy though that none of these 'work' properly!! Just a bit screwed because to download I have to connect to the computer and at prsent my virus protection is a number of days old (2) and with the recent spate of new viruses and being on broadband the chances of getting hit whilst downloading are high

thanks though will keep reviewing NAV would have been my main choice other than the bad press I was reading (check out amazon for NAV 2004!)

Price - if it works I am happy to pay
    Regular user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AVG is free for personal/home use:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep spotted that but wanted to make sure they were 'good' ones before letting my computer open to them
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    yep spotted that but wanted to make sure they were 'good' ones before letting my computer open to them
    I've been using AVG for several months now and am very pleased with it. 'Puter has been perking along without the hassles caused by the McAfee updates. It's much lighter on its feet than McAfee and less 'commercial' too. Just does its job without the hardsell to buy everything in their product line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks earther can I ask if you use the 'free' version or pay for it? (just wondering if there is any difference in protection)
    Regular user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and did you get the firewall too?
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks earther can I ask if you use the 'free' version or pay for it? (just wondering if there is any difference in protection)
    I'm using the free version. My firewall is the free Zone Alarm. HOWEVER, the last major update to ZA caused some problems so I had to revert back to the earlier version. It wasn't just me. A lot of people had problems - check out their forums. It's probably fixed by now but I'm a little hesitant to go there again. If you install AVG fiewall, let me know how you like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks I am probably going to try out the free firewall also so I will let you know.

Either that I am going for NAV 2004
    Regular user

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen0927
    I've heard that klez versions disable Norton AV? I have Norton on my XP and I have 2 different users defined. One user appears to have a virus/worm/something (random automatic typing in in Word) and the other seems clear. A full disk scan with NAV finds nothing and the free scan from Trend Micro finds nothing. Ideas?
    Make sure your version of Word doesn't have speech recognition turned on (if you have a microphone hooked up). Had a friend that nearly tore his system apart only to find that was the cause...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, over the years, I have seen both McAfee and Symatec NAV miss viruses while using the latest defintions at the time. I've also seen some computers have major problems with McAfee while working quite well with Symatec NAV and I've also seen some computers have problems with Symatec NAV while working very well with McAfee.

Currently I use Symatec NAV, although when my subscription expires I might switch to Panda as I've heard many good things about it from various sources.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that I am going for NAV 2004
    I wouldn't recommend NAV 2004, personally. I had a small interruption during an update, and it nearly killed the entire system (blue screening, core dumping fun). NAV wouldn't update, uninstall or reinstall. It also added a mystery NAV 2003 entry to the 'add remove' applet, even though that version was never installed on this box.
    After an extensive regedit (over 150 keys from Norton) I've gone to AVG paid version. Small footprint, daily updates, cheap ($33 for 2 years).

SitePoint Enthusiast Mushroom-Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just though i'd add my tupence...

After reading through this thread, i decided to go home and do a little checking...

I fully updated NAV 2004, did a scan, found 0 virus's
    I downloaded and ran AVG, 12?!?!?!?! virus's found!!!

Got into work this morning, made sure NAV 2003 was fully updated, did a scan, 0 virus's...
    download AVG... 9 virus's found...

Just my opinion but any NAV = the suck, AVG = the win

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I must admit AVG found 2 trojans on my computer also! Plus combined with Kerio firewall I get a lot less issues with things!

Ouch 12!!
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Are you using the free version?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom-Man
    I fully updated NAV 2004, did a scan, found 0 virus's
    I downloaded and ran AVG, 12?!?!?!?! virus's found!!!
    Interesting, just what type of virsus's did AVG find? Can you give us somemore details?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been using eTrust EZ Armor for the last week because I wanted something lighter on the computer than Norton and they have a 12 month free subscription now.

My computer works faster now but it has become more unstable and have suddenly restarted a few times (WinME, 1ghz Athlon, 512mb sdram). It used to do that before I upgraded ram from 128 to 512mb and installed an 80gb harddisk in addition to the 20gb I had also (think it is a minor error on the 20gb).

Neither Norton or Etrust have found any viruses.
    Good web hosting info All you need to know about web hosting
    xhbml(web dev blog)
    CSS Viking CSS blog