SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy did the symptoms sound like klez?

fiddle faddle fee -- NAV came pre-installed on my Dell and I don't have disks. Guess I have to try to get through a maze of customer support.

(symptoms = series of dots followed by random words (I man be home man go you man right, etc. with some being a little more racey) being automatically typed in Word and Google search box and maybe more, but only in the domain of one system user, not the other)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using various softwares for past few years. I have Norton 2003 and AVG Free Edition. However I feel Norton 2003 is a bit bloated and would recommend Norton 2002 to someone who has less memory.

But I would also advise have two anti virus software. You may run only one at all times but keep the second for backup and times when required.

I keep Norton running all the time, but scan my system using AVG every few days or so ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Norton also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not quite sure why Norton has to be such a resource hog... many other similar AVs that do the same thing use less...
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton doesn't seem to hog alot of resources on my computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with Panda Titanium. They release virus definitions each time they encounter a new virus or Trojan. 2-4 TIMES A DAY! Symantec waits a few days, building an update before releasing it.

Compu"WHIZ7",

"Well... if Microsoft Windows came with its own --virus scanner, I'd use that, 'cause it's integrated. But since it doesn't, Symantec Norton AntiVirus rules."

Microsoft can't even build secure network code for IIS, and you would seriously think they could provide an AV program? Get real. If MS had a built in AV program you would be the dumbass paying for an over-priced subscription that you would probably have to re-try the download many times over and over. You must work in an IT job that you can easily say "it must be updated" and your company pays you big overtime.

....can you spell Linux?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Norton is such a hog, because it uses the IE to display its interface ... and we know how bloated IE is ...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Microsoft wrote a virus scanner, Holmes, it would be subcontracted, probably to Symantec.

And yes, I can spell Linux... but I prefer Microsoft Windows.

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody uses mcaffee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually came preinstalled on my Dell, but I really didn't like it!
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by compuwhiz7
    If Microsoft wrote a virus scanner, Holmes, it would be subcontracted, probably to Symantec.

And yes, I can spell Linux... but I prefer Microsoft Windows.
    Actually, I remember a story about two weeks ago where Microsoft bought a small Anti-Virus software company for use in future versions of Windows.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hstraf
    Nobody uses mcaffee?
    McAfee products have gone down hill since the company was bought out a few years ago. As it is now, I wouldn't install their software on my enemies' machines.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I'd still use the integrated virus scanner. Is this for use in Longhorn, Wayne?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use NAV 2002 because it came with my computer. However, I would probably use AVG if I started over. It's free and works well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Free of McAfee at last!

Ever since some changes to their update system a few months ago, McAfee wasn't registering updates correctly. Plus, when the auto update was on, it kept trying to run and run and run. After I turned off the auto update, it still wasn't registering properly . . . restart --> black screen --> Windows unable to update yada, yada (even though the latest DAT files were indicated in 'About'). The McAfee forums are chock full of folks having difficulties with the software. Their advice was to reinstall but the fix failed at the next update.

Even though I have some months left, I dumped it and switched to AVG. AVG is much lighter on it's feet, much less commercial (and not associated with VeriSign ), updates quickly and doesn't interfere with peripherals like McAfee did. Thanks to those of you who recommended it.

Yes, I am free at last! YEA!!

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther
    I dumped it and switched to AVG.
    Can't seem to find out what AVG is again.. Can you explain for me? (Yes, I'm a little slower then usual today. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hstraf
    Can't seem to find out what AVG is again.. Can you explain for me? (Yes, I'm a little slower then usual today. ;-)
    Free anti-virus software http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, it appears that AVG only integrates with Outlook Express and not Outlook itself. Such a shame.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton doesn't really hog resources too much (though it's noticeable at least, on my P4 1.6GHz laptop). The problem with it is it slows down bootup times considerably.

Still, I've never really stepped away from Norton. I don't dare risk trying AVG unless someone here tells me that it's perfectly safe or even better than NAV.

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stand AV software. Isn't anyone just careful these days? I mean a good firewall and not opening random attachements are all I've worried about for years and I have never had a virus.

Don't get me wrong, I have to run virus software on my servers at work because I can't trust the users to not do things I tell them not to...but for your own systems does everyone use this stuff?
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egad! I tried Norton in the past. It's a hog. Now have McAfee. It's ok, except auto update is fluxxored. I have to enter my email address and a password when I want to update. And then it seems to want to DL the entire program again, not just the update.

Do you guys think AVG is as up to date and accurate as Norton/McAfee?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce868
    Don't get me wrong, I have to run virus software on my servers at work because I can't trust the users to not do things I tell them not to...but for your own systems does everyone use this stuff?
    I have to... I rebuild and test machines for local customers all the time. Often times this requires downloading obscure drivers and tracking down hardware through their FCC identification. It is cheaper and easier for me to hook the machines up to my network instead of download drivers and then burning them to CD. Even if I used rewriteable CDs, I still have to install the readers on the person's machine to access the disk.

I once had a computer come in that was infected with no less than 600 different viruses on it. Person didn't even use the Internet, just shared disks with a local genealogy club. Therefore every one of my computers on the Network have virus and firewall protection on them.

I use Norton Antivirus myself. In the past, I have found McAfee to be one of the worst commercial programs known to mankind. Tried AVG last week, and had no end of problems on my PC until I uninstalled it. Will keep Norton as nothing else has gained my trust.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gild
    Egad! I tried Norton in the past. It's a hog. Now have McAfee. It's ok, except auto update is fluxxored. I have to enter my email address and a password when I want to update. And then it seems to want to DL the entire program again, not just the update.

Do you guys think AVG is as up to date and accurate as Norton/McAfee?
    Did you read my Post #40 above? I was having a terrible time with McAfee (after nearly three years of no problems) and finally just scrapped it. You might want to post your problem to their forums. I've been using AVG for about a week now and having no problems with it. But like deuce868, I am very careful about where I go and what I open and so have not had a virus on this computer in three years (or even gotten a warning for one for that matter).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khu19
    Tried AVG, didn't catch all viruses, had to reformat my computer.
    This is what worries me.

Does Norton have a forum? I want to see if their customers are as pissed as the McAfee customers. (Btw, I've used McAfee for two months.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gild
    This is what worries me.

Does Norton have a forum? I want to see if their customers are as pissed as the McAfee customers. (Btw, I've used McAfee for two months.)
    Too bad. You won't get a refund past one month. I left a farewell message after I jumped ship but it was quickly removed. I have seen other censorship of negative comments on McAfee forums so what you see is only the tip of the consumer dissatisfaction. That's bad enough as is.