User Tag List

SitePoint Member georgecrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

change style sheet question

Hi guys,

Wondering what people think of this idea. I want to start my index page with a flash splash-screen, with the rest of the page automatically loading after the animation finishes.

Easy, sure (the GetURL command), but I want to try and avoid the screen flicker you get when the new page loads.

I thought to myself what if the whole page had already loaded? Load the whole page, with everything except the flash movie hidden using a style sheet. Then get the movie to trigger a JavaScript function on its completion, which changes the style shet.

My effort is here:

http://www.therealeubo.org.uk/test

The JavaScript function is called with the line

Code:
    getURL("javascript:change_style('style2')");
    in the flash file.

Wondering what your thoughts are: is this going to cause problems with compatibility, or should I be safe? I've tested on as many browsers as I have, and it works great, but I would love some input if you have any old browsers!

Is there another condition I could put in the JavaScript, other than if (document.all) and if (document.getElementById), in order to cater for more browser types?

Also, is there a better way of doing what I'm aiming for? I want to produce the most sensible, reliable and thought-out final result that I can!

Thanks for your help.

SitePoint Member georgecrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tested in Opera 6 for Mac - the style sheet change doesn't happen. What kind of JavaScript do I need for Opera's DOM as regards style sheets?