SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I do my best not to let on and to suffer silently with it, I have a terrible physical disability that causes me to need to recline in a lounge chair whilst using a PC. (The disease from which I suffer is called TL (Terminal Laziness, pun intended)).

With that in mind, I've been looking for a good wireless input device to use instead of the traditional mouse.

I ran across this interesting fellow:

http://www.gyration.com/kore/catalog...o/content.html

which, apparently, works like a mouse, but you can waive it around in the air while you're laying lazily on your backside. Apparently it uses gyroscopy to substitute for the usual ball function of the mouse.

Has anyone used this or similar doo-dahs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me. I'm a mouse guy. I could never get used to trackballs or similar devices. They don't cause nearly enough carpal tunnel syndrome.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, this thing doesn't have a trackball on it. Instead, you waive the thing around in the air, and an internal solid state gyroscope tracks the hand motion.

See, with this, you could really wreck your wrists even better than with a standard mouse, making all sorts of wild, violent gestures. Maybe you wanna look into it further...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good! I know I am not the only lazy person here(heeh). I just bought an optical mouse and it rocks. It is so percise, BUT the best part is I need no mouse pad. It even works on my bed. So at night when I am vegging out too tired to work, but not tired enough to go to bed I surf around with just my optical mouse for an hour or so.

The cord is a little longer than the average so it reaches.

Anybody else have any good mice.

BTW it is a Dexxa(I got it for $29.99 Canadian, which is like $.06 US)

See ya!
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    webmasterlane.com, at risk of the obvious: whilst abed, I might suggest better companionship... lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by etLux
    Jim, this thing doesn't have a trackball on it. Instead, you waive the thing around in the air, and an internal solid state gyroscope tracks the hand motion.

See, with this, you could really wreck your wrists even better than with a standard mouse, making all sorts of wild, violent gestures. Maybe you wanna look into it further...
    Thanks for the hot tip.

Have you considered hiring someone to move the mouse for you? You could have a pointy stick by the bed to jab the person if s/he started to get lazy also.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that very topic has been discussed in a parallel post of this thread at: http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post makes me think of that new-fangled device called the CAT. (I'm serious) Anyone own one of those gadgets? They're supposed to let you somehow "scan" the URL of a website and take you right to it. I saw a demo of the CAT on a news program once..the demonstrator couldn't get the thing working after three tries, so they had to take a commercial break and come back..and then it magically whisked away to the desired destination.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Sparkie~ Actually, I have two of the "Cats" ~ The ones that I have are called :Cue:C.A.T.

RadioShack was giving them away free recently and I picked up two of them but haven't downloaded the program yet. At their website http://www.getcat.com it says that they are still available at the above electronic stores, but you have to pay s/h if mailed (U.S. only).

C.A.T. is supposed to be the instant internet to swipe product codes and take you to the related page and also link your TV to your PC!

It looks like a "Skinny Mouse" ~ Sort of forgot I had them!

Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I got one of those CAT devices... however, I haven't had a chance to hook it up and try it out. Anyone use it yet?

By the way, true to their word, these are available free.

<Edited by etLux on 11-26-2000 at 01:02 PM>

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued now...

I'm going to go ahead download the program. I have been having freezing problems with my pc, but I think that I will go ahead and download anyway my C.A.T. to see it works!
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're giving them away free??

Probably because the store-owners saw the same demonstration on the news that I did

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL... nonethless, they are giving them away free, last I checked. This isn't all that uncommon, really. If they don't get a mess of the required hardware out there -- the whole concept would fail. The offers by cell phone companies, where they often give away the cell phone or provide it at a price far below actual cost, is a good simile.

As to whether or not it will succeed, that's a good question. I have my doubts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered hiring someone to move the mouse for you? You could have a pointy stick by the bed to jab the person if s/he started to get lazy also.
    OH MY GOD....LMAO
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes