SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to be here!

Name/alias: Rob Russell, robdoesweb

Birth Date: 117, Julian.

Job: student, pursuing a BS in Computer Science with intent to develop server tech

Interests/Hobbies: tacos, fishing, motorcycles (putting my Yamaha R6 back together), web design, LAMP stack, programming in general, airplanes (someday), dogs, summer, good beer

Home page link: http://robdoesweb.com (never finished and always changing, I’m afraid) (ah! do not get used to this! We normally do not link to our sites and moderators will remove the links that do not comply with our rules. For this time only, it's OK)

More about me:
    I'm a US Marine veteran-turned-programmer using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to pursue a BS in Computer Science. I had considered a Visual Communications degree to pursue a career in web design, but I like the idea of developing more back-end software. In my time not spent in class or doing homework, I've been teaching myself the front end aspect at one of the great "teach-yourself-web-technology-without-college-to-start-a-new-career-on-your-own-our-logo-is-a-frog" type websites that I won't dare link to after all these warnings and rules. I enjoy it. I've been out of the service now coming up on a year, and I've been plugging away a bit but regret the time that I've wasted. So I'm joining this forum to try and make myself become a little more active in pursuit of my goals and just constantly involved in the web development community itself. Since this is my only chance to post my portfolio, I was hoping maybe I can get some feedback? So if you're reading this please check it out and give me some advice as to what I should be working on to better brand myself as an employable web developer! I'm happy to be here and ready to start talking web development, thanks for taking the time to read my little intro!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob, welcome to the forums,

Quite an introduction !

I see you're interested in both design and development. The more you know about everything the better of course, but nowadays it is better to focus on one area and excel in it. There's just so much happening it isn't easy to keep up.

Sounds like you'll be busy, but hopefully you'll be able to spend some time here getting help and helping others.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is a great intro and great to have you here.

You're right in regards of promotion but you can certainly ask for a review of your site (and yes, you can inlcude a link to it as it will be more than necessary for people to give their opinion) in the Review & Critiques forum. You only need to do three reviews of acceptable length before you can post your own.

Regarding branding and promoting yourself, that's something that depends on different factors (a forum is not the same thing as Facebook even if you can "promote" online on both)

You may be want to hang around the Internet Marketing forum. There's loads of information there (as well as lots of rubbish, I'm afraid)

As a summary, I will tell you that in a forum like SPF, the best promotion you can do is your participation and showing your expertise

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies! Just to be clear, I wasn't looking to promote myself through SPF, just looking for opinions on the caliber of work I'm doing and if it's good enough to start looking for paid work. I'll most definitely check out the review & critiques forum, thanks for that tip! Just browsing through I've already seen what a great resource this community will be and I'll definitely be more active over the next few weeks. Thanks again for the warm & helpful welcome, I look forward to learning and growing with everyone!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I am new user on this site and feeling very glad to join this community.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a well-detailed introduction. You are like an open book I guess I know everything about you already..hehehe..Welcome to the forum and have fun.