SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Review blog's design change

    Hello people!

    Yesterday I redesigned my blog. http://this-is-code.hol.es/
    I want to you to answer following questions related to redesign:

    1) Do you like more old or new design? Why?
    2) Is the new design better in terms of usability than old one? Explain.
    3) Is there's something that I could add to new design or remove? Be specific please.
    4) Any suggestions or constructive critique about blog itself?

    The link to toggle between designs is here:



    Old vs. New design picture:



    Thank you very much for attention! You're awesome!
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jun 18, 2014 at 12:27. Reason: Link added

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the blue theme is a lot nicer than the white, makes it more interesting and make the post content stand out more. I like the stickmen characters as well.

    For your menu, while the blog may be about code and programming the “this”, “while”, “try” etc. can be a bit confusing, first I thought it was all part of the same cartoon until I put my mouse over it and clicked. If you want to make them sound programming-ish, you might try “.home()” or “/categories” etc. instead of putting “this” or whatever in front and then change the style on mouse over so you'd know that they're links.

    The toggle could be a bit bigger as well, maybe separate from the introduction at the top and maybe using drop-down/radio buttons etc. to change.

    Also, in your introduction:

    I've updated the blog, so there't two themes, the old one and new one. Click*here*to toggle theme
    I think you meant "there're"? I would have wrote "there are".

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for response, swheeldesign!

    Personally I like more white theme, however, people who reviewed my design (not only on this forum) think blue theme was better. I thinking of compromise design between blue and white, how do you think it will work?

    I think the blue theme is a lot nicer than the white, makes it more interesting and make the post content stand out more. I like the stickmen characters as well.
    About standing out part: I don't like my blue theme only because menu takes a lot of space and makes pictures with comics less readable. Menu is about 200 pixels wide, by the way and main content is about 620px.

    I think you meant "there're"? I would have wrote "there are".
    Oops, didn't noticed. I'll fix it. Thank you again for reply!

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a compromise between the blue/white theme, you could try keeping the menu from the white theme instead and keeping the cartoons of the stickmen from the blue menu on the side. That should make the posts a bit wider. If you want to keep the post content area white (below the menu), what about making the menu or the top bit blue?

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeldesign View Post
    For a compromise between the blue/white theme, you could try keeping the menu from the white theme instead and keeping the cartoons of the stickmen from the blue menu on the side. That should make the posts a bit wider. If you want to keep the post content area white (below the menu), what about making the menu or the top bit blue?
    (Time limit's up for edit so sorry for double post)

    I mean something like this:

    crittic_example.png

    ...and you get the idea for the rest of the page.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeldesign View Post
    (Time limit's up for edit so sorry for double post)
    I mean something like this:
    Wow, that's look nice, however I'll draw new stick figures, cause these ones looks too old. It was my first design, and I'm barely drew them, but now I have experience in drawing stickmen (I'm expert, that's sounds silly ). Thanks for your suggestions!

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice and clean site. I always been a fan of black n white sites for some reason. I find them very appealing and easy to read on the eyes.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member alvinhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black and white is a great branding scheme you have here.

    I believe you will be using comics to explain your articles?

    To enhance your brand a bit more, I see you are using splash of orange in your links etc...

    Maybe have the cartoon character wear an orange tie.

    You can also change the clickable titles to orange so you can define each article. Right now when I look at the site I can hardly tell when Im reading a new article in the list.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that your site is a cool one. I love the design. My goodness I wish I could do that to my site. My site's design seems quite boring. ANd I mean really boring!!!

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member alvinhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo1987 View Post
    I think that your site is a cool one. I love the design. My goodness I wish I could do that to my site. My site's design seems quite boring. ANd I mean really boring!!!
    Maybe you can post it for a review so you can get some feedback from members to improve your website.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the white theme is better than the blue one,you can make the header blue and the buttons for a same .

  12. #12
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everybody for reply!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo1987 View Post
    I think that your site is a cool one. I love the design. My goodness I wish I could do that to my site. My site's design seems quite boring. ANd I mean really boring!!!
    Believe me, your website design skills would improve with experience. I had very ugly and boring designs too in beginning, however, more you practice, more you have experience, more chances to create beautiful or interesting design. I'm not designer, I'm more of programmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by alvinhy View Post
    The black and white is a great branding scheme you have here.

    I believe you will be using comics to explain your articles?

    To enhance your brand a bit more, I see you are using splash of orange in your links etc...

    Maybe have the cartoon character wear an orange tie.

    You can also change the clickable titles to orange so you can define each article. Right now when I look at the site I can hardly tell when Im reading a new article in the list.
    Thanks for reply!

    Maybe have the cartoon character wear an orange tie.
    It's a good idea! I'll try orange tie

    Right now when I look at the site I can hardly tell when Im reading a new article in the list.
    Can you elaborate this point, I didn't quite understood what you meant.

  13. #13
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey i have seen your blog theme so did't thing so that it should change because your blog looking great and seo and user point of views your content is readable and theme is also simple so user will not confuse.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Enthusiast ISScyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know what exactly missing there(but something are missing there) because your blog looks like to me on some old fashioned style
    A: Maybe you can add some light background color with some light images, pictures?
    B: Change your fonts - there is a lot of very good fonts (maybe Comic Sans MS?)
    C: I do not know for others but site speed is very slow at me.
    D: You do not need whole menu only for search form, maybe you can add FAQ there, or some other stuff, like e-newsletter...

  15. #15
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I change design a little bit design, also added responsive layout, what do you thing?

    Whole screen:



    Mobile:


  16. #16
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the mobile design, only changes that I'd make is put another set of menu links at the bottom so that user doesn't have to scroll back to top or make a "back to top" button.

    For the main design, I'd make a page header at the top of the posts, and then something that separates the bottom post. I'd also center the text in the paragraph under the main menu. Oh and the comic image is a little bit big, I'd resize it so that it's the same width as the rest of the posts.

    the_coder1.jpg

  17. #17
    SitePoint Enthusiast volter9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States, CA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeldesign View Post
    I like the mobile design, only changes that I'd make is put another set of menu links at the bottom so that user doesn't have to scroll back to top or make a "back to top" button.

    For the main design, I'd make a page header at the top of the posts, and then something that separates the bottom post. I'd also center the text in the paragraph under the main menu. Oh and the comic image is a little bit big, I'd resize it so that it's the same width as the rest of the posts.

    the_coder1.jpg
    Thanks for reply!

    I'd make a page header at the top of the posts, and then something that separates the bottom post.
    Header like in the left column? If so, it would be repetition of the content. I don't like repetition of content.
    However idea with separating pagination and articles is good! I'll try it.

    Oh and the comic image is a little bit big, I'd resize it so that it's the same width as the rest of the posts.
    Maybe I didn't get right, but comic image is the same width as the post itself.

    I like the mobile design, only changes that I'd make is put another set of menu links at the bottom so that user doesn't have to scroll back to top or make a "back to top" button.
    I think "back to top" button is a better idea than making another menu, because I don't like the repetition of content as I said before.

    Thank you for reply again!

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volter9 View Post
    Thanks for reply!

    Header like in the left column? If so, it would be repetition of the content. I don't like repetition of content.
    However idea with separating pagination and articles is good! I'll try it.
    Or instead of the page header just the hr line for the top.


    Maybe I didn't get right, but comic image is the same width as the post itself.
    I meant it so that the comic stops before the stickmen on the right of the page like the rest of the posts do if your intention is to use them as a border.
    Last edited by swheeldesign; Jul 14, 2014 at 05:59. Reason: wrong place for quote


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •