User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website review and feedback for The Film Finder

Hello all,

I am new to publishing my work to the www and this is a project I start at university. I have continued the work after university and had it as a pet project really and I have decided that it is about time i got a few more people looking at the website and get some good or bad feedback.

The website is call The Film Finder and the purpose of the website is for user to search for a movie they liked, then be return all the facts about that movie. Once the user has checked it is the correct movie they can look at the recommendation for that movie. If they like the look of the posters they can get more information by clicking the image.

Looking for feature requests or general feedback on what I have created.

Thanks,

Dale.

Website address:
    www.thefilmfinder.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea. I liked the slide show you created on the home page for movies,however information on fe casts seems missing that discourages further browsing. If you can change the picture beside the film finder will be good idea as it is not clear and one can not understand what it represents?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello crazydc,

The idea of the website is wonderful, however, some features are missing and some places with floats are looking bad, like this one:

You can fix it by adding following CSS inside of your stylesheet:

Code:
    div.search_box.well::after {
    	clear: both;
    	display: block;

content: '';
    	font-size: 0px;

height: 0px;
    	width: 100%;
    }
    For movie search, I couldn't find TRON: Legacy, that's disappointing
    To improve that, you can checkout trakt API: https://trakt.tv/api-docs

It has API that returns JSON for parse for any movie that they have, however, even they don't have TRON: Legacy
    But still, it has more information and less to worry about if you'll use trakt API.

This thing is really annoying:

Are you limiting your users? It's not necessary to cut queries on a limit. You can write your own or borrow a script of pagination, it'll reduce amount of rows from query and no limit for users. However, I've seen already pagination in 'coming soon' movies, so you can use something similar.

I found also one Notice severity from PHP:

I think you're choosing index from array that doesn't exists, try this:

Code:
    if (isset($array[$my_index])) {
        // Do whatever you need to
    }
    I also found funny, that your keywords for movie is in German:

I hope my review was helpful for you, good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some points below: I'm using Chrome and Windows XP
    You could have an option to scroll the Most searched movies on the home page.
    The footer can be cleaned up to remove items already present in the header. Ex. Coming soon, Contact, Home
    Home-may not need a separate link-clicking on the logo should be enough.
    Contact us page: Send us a message-needs space (too close to black border)
    Why is phone number a mandatory field?
    Updates page: Seems like a technical page-should be hidden from regular audience.
    Last movies added: Change to ‘Latest movies added’

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your site broken at the moment. It looks like the stylesheet is missing.
    I'm on FF win7

This does however highlight a bit of work you could do to ensure that the site is searchable. There isn't a hierarchy of headings on your page.
    It would be good to have your site name in H1, some intro text, subheading in h2 etc

Search engines then know what is important. The lack on text/explaination may also hinder SEO as there is little/nothing for a search engine to search on.

did you mean to write 'finder' instead of 'find' in your description '...Check us out to finder out more.'

hope thats useful
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    View their website you can comment as follows: you should optimize the code and CSS using compression tools, bringing down the page javascript and CSS to speed up the website, I found a little slow to load

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello crazydc,

The concept of your website have great potential based on the trends in the movie and entertainment field. I like the design also but it need some work.

1. I would make the web page to auto fill the screen instead of having the black borders at the side..
    2. You social media share icons should all be in the same position instead of having some the top of the page and others at the bottom. Why not just use the logos of the different soial meadia website instead of typing out the word.
    3. Where you have most searched movies, you could make that section scrollable so you could add many more and users could just scroll down or across to find more options.

That's my take. I hope it helps.

Regards
    Mike.