SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Dark_angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Page display question...

I was designing a webpage. And when uploaded into a 800X600 resolution it works fine as in full screan in internet explorer 5.5
    but when displayed in any other reloution it doesnt appear in full scream in the explorer...
    Anyway to rectify the problem

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the only way I know of to accomplish this is to design in relative measurements, i.e. percentages, not in hard coded pixels. If you design in pixels, you'd basically have to have a different page for each browser. (If you're designing in XHTML/CSS, you'd simply need a different stylesheet for each page, which might be a little easier...)

SitePoint Enthusiast tmtdesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah if you create a design 800pixels wide, then it will always stay 800pixels wide.

If you want a design to be full screen in all resolutions, then you have to make your main table with 100% and not 800pixels, which, if your site is fully designed in a graphical program, could mean many changes have to be made and background images created/set.

I would recommed setting absolute pixek widths and not percentage widths if your site is very graphical, or maybe its just a personal preference

Liam

SitePoint Enthusiast Dark_angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys i was also thinking about the same thing but was hoping there is some other way....
    It reaally is going to be a harsh job making all of those to percentage form messy business..

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_angel
    Thanks for the info guys i was also thinking about the same thing but was hoping there is some other way....
    It reaally is going to be a harsh job making all of those to percentage form messy business..

Thanks again!
    Why not leave it as a fixed width? If you have too much invested in the site it will be a messy matter to change it, and most people don't mind a fixed-width site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Why not leave it as a fixed width? If you have too much invested in the site it will be a messy matter to change it, and most people don't mind a fixed-width site.
    I agree, people these days are used to seeing it at 800x600. A lot of people do not even browse with their window at full screen unless the are on like a 15" or 17" monitor (which I know is a lot). Think about your sites visitors. What kind of monitors/resolutions do you think they are using. If it it makes sense to leabe it as is for your audience, don't try and change it b/c you want to.
    Thanks -- Chris
    Get Funny T-Shirts and Custom Printed T-Shirts @ ShirtsByMail.com