SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Dark_angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

preloading pages.....

A friend told me you could preload pages using java script...

Can anyone show me or give me a link where i could find out how this is done and how to impliment it on a website..

Thanks

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might answer your question, but I haven't seen it done myself other than by hiding the Div: http://forums.devshed.com/archive/1/2001/05/4/15381
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those so-called "Net-Accelerator" programs of yesteryear did this.

They claimed to speed up your internet connection speed, but all they really did was cache pages linked to by the one you were currently viewing. In essence, they used the available (unused) bandwidth while you were looking at the current page to download and cache all the connecting pages. Then when you clicked a link, the program would serve up the recently cached version, and not hit the server. Not a bad idea, really. Too bad they can't possible predict what you'd want, so a page with many links would be caching for minutes. Imagine if everyone used this software? Internet traffic would surge, page statistics would be erroneous, and all sorts of other problems. It's not hard to see why these programs don't really exist anymore.

That being said, I agree with rabmurdy, there's no direct way to cache pages, you'll need some sort of workaround.
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev