Thread: Font Families

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Font Families

Is there a place where you can find out what font family a certain font belongs to. For example: if I want to use the Colossalis font but want to state a font family for fall back is there somewhere that lists that fonts family? Hope this makes sennse.

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By default the 'font-family:' property ( which,btw, can be included in the 'font:' shorthand) is a STACK of front families. If the first font is not on the list, it will look for the next family listed.

e.g:
    font-family:"Times New Roman",Georgia,Serif;
    uses Times New Roman, if not fund then it uses Georgia, else it uses whatever font the user has set up as his/her serif font preference. Hope that answers your question.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was looking for is how do you know which fonts to include in the font family - for instance if I want to use the font Colossalis how do I know which other fonts to include in the stack (for instance font-family: Colossalis, "Times New Roman",Georgia, serif; - and how do you know which generic family they fall into - ex. serif, sans-serif, monospace, cursive, fantasy. I can find sites that show lists of font families but am wondering what you do when you want to use a specific font and don't know the family to which it would belong....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just use whatever system fonts are similar with the one you`re using. But you can`t just use a custom font without a workaround, because if you just use font-family: Colossalis - the only one seeing that font will be you, if you have it installed on your system. You use it like this @font-face {font-family: Colossalis; src: url(Colossalis.woff);} , Colossalis.woff being the font converted for web (http://everythingfonts.com/ttf-to-woff).

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For starters, consider fonts which have the same X height and M width ( this way your text block won't vary to much in actual size). Then seek similar looking fonts, pay close attention to stroke and stresses on the letter form.