SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting to run advertiser banners on a site and I want to know how to judge advertiser satisfaction. Should they be happy with a click through of .5%, 1%, 2%, etc.?

I know when I ran HitBox banners on another site the click through was approximately .25% (thats one quarter of one percent). I have seen people in this forum and others mention an "average" of 1%.

My site is an auto enthusiast site and advertising is targeted (advertisers all auto related). What would be an "acceptable" or "expected average" click through for my advertisers? Thanks!
    Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that untargetted click through rates can be as low as one tenth of one percent - or one out of a thousand. I'll tell you this: I believe they're steadily dropping.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could understand that they are dropping... people don't seem to notice banners, they are so common.

I am interested in targeted banner advertising though... do you know the average click-through? Thanks.
    Ted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted,

I would suggest you consider text links rather then banners. They are much more effective in "getting the click."

A short testimonial or well worded text ad will be much more effective in almost all cases.

I would suggest you test each and see which is more effective on your individual site.
    Gary Hendrickson

affiliatehintsandtips.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that the average click-throughs are:
    .5-1% for untargetted banners
    1-3% for targetted banners
    2-4% for text advertising.

3-5% for targetted email ads.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,
    Thanks for the tip. I am aware of the generally higher success with text ads. I will be sticking with banners for now though. I searched high and low and have tested half a dozen or more free hosted banner services. I have finally found one that does not conflict with vBulletin code, has a decent amount of uptime , and has good features. It can only serve banners though. Once I get things rolling for a while, I will switch to something self-administered that can handle text ads too. Then I'll test out your advise .

Wayne,
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Don't know where you got those figures from but I will go with them .
    Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I noticed that I stopped clicking on banner ads a long time ago and the rest of the internet seems to be following. I think we're gonna realize that these useless, cheap advertising-filled sites are going to die out and the internet will realize that we really need real content-rich sites to keep the internet going. And we need to improve the content that the visitor will get when they click on an ad, because one of the reasons I stopped clicking was because there was never enough usefull stuff and/or what was advertised.
    -Nick