SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, no worries. I think I was the third person to hit the 10K club, so it used to be a big deal. Not sure if it is anymore
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man has it been a long time! I'm really enjoying seeing some familiar faces in this thread! I joined SitePoint back in the WebmasterBase.com days. I still attribute Sitepoint with helping me become the developer I am today.

Things I remember most

* Meeting awesome people and making some lifelong friends
    * Learning what SQL injection was the hard way http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...eb-site-hacked
    * Posting to the forum while I was station in Kuwait for Operation Iraqi Freedom http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...wait-saying-Hi!
    * Being promoted to staff http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...Our-New-Mentor
    * Starting and hosting the SitePoint podcast http://www.sitepoint.com/web/podcast/
    * Winning ASP Guru of the Year 3-years in a row! http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...nt-Awards-2005

Well now I want to write a blog post about my history on SitePoint!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iFroggy View Post
    First and foremost, I met some of my closest friends here, people I'll know for the rest of my life, like Brandon Eley (@beley ), Chrispian Burks (@Crowe ), Stephan Segraves (@Hartmann ), Brad Williams (@Thing ) and Ted Sindzinski (@Ted S ). I am tremendously grateful for that and always will be.
    Patrick, Thanks for the mention! I had to come check it out and just seeing that my username is Crowe instead of Chrispian really tells me how long ago that was. 13 years?! Wow. That's crazy. Such a good group of people came from these forums and I'm glad that so many of us are still in touch.

I've rarely worked directly with other developers primarily working in small offices where I'm the only developer and SitePoint gave me a place to hang out with like minded people and ask questions when I would get stuck. It was also fun helping others and giving back in that way. I can honestly say I probably wouldn't be the developer I am now without the friends and support I found here.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #wavesatchrispian
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayneTilley View Post
    I remember hiring HAWK .... sorry.

But I think what I remember most is that this community is still proof of one the most beautiful virtues of the internet.
    I remember hiring HAWK .... sorry.
    You will be, buddy. You will be.

But I think what I remember most is that this community is still proof of one the most beautiful virtues of the internet.
    And just like that I forgive you. Nice words, well spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W. View Post

I'm not sure what the move to Discourse means (all the content disappears? WHY is everyone so nostalgic?! Lol), but now that I'm here maybe I'll stick around a bit

At the end of the day, I wouldn't be where I am today without the crew at SPF. So, thank you
    We'll be migrating a huge chunk of content and flat HTML archiving the rest. The nostalgia is likely because we've spent a tonne of time talking about the good times and the bad in an attempt to decide where we need to go. I'm pretty stoked that Shaun started this thread, and even more stoked that Patrick dragged you all back, but Patrick's pretty awesome like that.

Anyway, please do stick around. If we ever needed support from the likes of you guys, it's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W. View Post
    Hey! I used to have over 12,000 posts?! How am I now not in the 10k club?!!!
    Ah sorry. That's my fault. I culled a whole lot of forums a few years back when they turned into cesspits of spam and fluff, in an attempt to streamline things. It was a huge oversight not to retain post count, but I was new to the job at the time.

In summation, thanks for stopping by guys. Don't leave it so long next time.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pleasure, @HAWK . Thank you for the kind words. @beley , @Jeremy W. , @WebKarnage and @Crowe - happy to tag all of you. Grateful to know all of you. I appreciate you all adding your thoughts onto this thread.

Patrick

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, so many memories and so many familiar faces...

I remember those discussions about web standards we used to have back in those days... can't believe its been so long ago now...

Good 'ol days

Good to see you all
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    Wow, so many memories and so many familiar faces...

I remember those discussions about web standards we used to have back in those days... can't believe its been so long ago now...

Good 'ol days

Good to see you all
    Heck, I remember witnessing the social media explosion with you guys on here. Remember we used to have threads making fun of MySpace and trying to find the ugliest MySpace pages?
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Heck, I remember witnessing the social media explosion with you guys on here. Remember we used to have threads making fun of MySpace and trying to find the ugliest MySpace pages?
    Heh, yup. And I remember getting a PM on here from Vinnie one day telling me to join Twitter when no one had even heard of it. I did, and now I earn my living from it. Crazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nyaww such a great outpouring of goodwill in this thread. Thanks for pinging me, @iFroggy!

Really looking forward to seeing what the next generation of this community looks like. It’s a testament to everyone’s contributions to date that it has made it this far in its current form, but I’m particularly excited about the move to Discourse, intended as it is to give this community the momentum to carry it through its next decade of life.

Onward and upward!
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha! I just remembered another classic!

Here patching some silly PHP errors I made and this one popped into my head:

Have you tried trim() ?

Off Topic:

And yes, I forgot to use trim() .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I remember getting a PM on here from Vinnie one day telling me to join Twitter when no one had even heard of it.
    Imagine that, eh?

The Internet itself has changed though. Back in my day (like what, only ten years ago?) there was such a thing as 'web surfing'.

How often does that happen these days? It's either straight to work or straight to social networks it seems.

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
    ... I’m particularly excited about the move to Discourse, intended as it is to give this community the momentum to carry it through its next decade of life.

Onward and upward!
    Thanks for your words Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

The Internet itself has changed though. Back in my day (like what, only ten years ago?) there was such a thing as 'web surfing'.

How often does that happen these days? It's either straight to work or straight to social networks it seems.
    Agreed. That's definitely contributed to the way in which this community functions.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's actually lots of good stuff when you look back...

@lo0ol ; or @stymiee ; chosen as the couple of the year http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...nt-Awards-2005

or @M. Johansson ;... with himself!

I used to love @Bleys ; colored bug (a copy of stymiee's)

They were fun to watch (and read)... even their virtual fights http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...p?234974-lo0ol

It is good to see you around here from time to time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting to look like a reunion thread here. Where's Vinnie when you need him

Too many nostalgic moments to summarize so quickly. I do miss the PRWE forum and debates with @Hellbent ;. The ASP v PHP debates with Jeremy were always classic. Rap battles in the staff forum haha...

SPF helped skyrocket my knowledge and understand of technology in general, and for it I am thankful. My professional career deviated from the development side of things over a decade ago, but I still try to keep up with new developments and trends. It's helped me launch unrelated products in other industries more than I can count.

I don't keep in touch with many SPF'ers as I'd like, and it's unfortunate. But I am grateful to have called many of you my friend at one point in time.

Jeremy, Aaron, Vinnie, Mattias, Peter, Toni.... and many others. You all make up what I consider to be some amazing years here on staff.

Glad to see SPF still going strong. I hope it remains the same birthplace for innovation that it was for us ten years ago.

Last edited by molona; May 18, 2014 at 11:58.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Thanks for stopping by @Mike ;

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each time I revisit SitePoint, I get nostalgic feelings to the older layouts of the site/forums.
    I don't come here that often anymore. As I'm not that much anymore into webdesign.

And since I don't like Web 2.0 or 3.0 designs, I still get nostalgic to these things:
    http://www.lostateminor.com/2011/12/...0s-technology/

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This was a lot of fun - not so much without the pictures anymore.
    If they mated - Sitepoint Edition

Forgot the username, but there was a kid who took a bunch of pics with chocolate chip cookies... cyooks or something like that. That was around when I joined.

Also I remember one of the staff gave away his SP books and was kind enough to mail it to me from Alaska I think.

Side note:
    Hey look. No signature. I'm ready.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    Now I remember it! This was a fun thread

Can't believe it! You're even more ready than I am... I still have my signature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OMG!! My pic is still on after all this time: Put a face with your name thread! right at the last page. :shock:

I can remember joining SPF back in 2004 for a question on PHP. How time flies when your enjoying yourself.

A very good thread.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, those were amazing days

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markjohnshon123 View Post
    yes, those were amazing days
    How do you know?

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Forgot the username, but there was a kid who took a bunch of pics with chocolate chip cookies... cyooks or something like that. That was around when I joined.

Also I remember one of the staff gave away his SP books and was kind enough to mail it to me from Alaska I think.

Side note:
    Conrad! It's been too long. Good to see you. What's going on in your world these days?

Yeah, I remember someone gave away their books. I felt too guilty asking him to post anything to NZ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a lot from Sitepoint back in the day. Joined when it was still sitepointforums.com, back when it was better to have a bunch of different domains for backlinks. I remember great discussions from a lot of smart people (Aspen comes to mind), and a few others. Funny when a lot of what people were saying back then started to become the norm a few years later.

At some point, I stopped visiting as much, partly because of the lack of usability of forum software in general and partly because of the influx of... useless content. I run a vBulletin forum, too, and feel SP's pain. I have come across Discourse a few times when researching some improvement to vBulletin, and it seems quite promising.

I'm really looking forward to the upgrade and plan to visit more, both to learn from others and get a feel for how Discourse works. I hope the Marketplace forums come back, or at least some sort of business-related forum would be nice.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It has been too long! Life happened. Got married, had kids, job responsibilities etc... I'll be around. Peek in now an then. Give back from what I've learned here.