SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am usually reading news magazines and sometimes SEO related books.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not a designer so the question doesn't apply to me, but I'm jumping in anyway.

I absolutely love to read. I even have a "library" in my home - actually an unused bedroom packed with bookcases that are packed with books.

I like reading technical books, sci-fi, nature, gardening, mystery, philosophy, religion, medical, etc. if the field ends with "ogy" or "ism" I'll read it.

Off Topic:

giving away my age here, but that reiminds me of a quote from the 60's
    “Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.”

Community Advisor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    There is some really interesting and varied reading going on by the sound of it!

As Pullo and I have mentioned to each other on more than one occasion, there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to keep up with all the reading we'd like. Although I don't read as many books as I used to, I do read an awful lot of articles and blog posts. I've got a browser extension called Pocket, which I use to save any interesting reading I come across during the day, then in the evening I can open up the app on the iPad to read what I saved (it formats the text to make it more like an ebook).

Talking of ebooks, does anyone have an opinion on ebook readers? It takes forever for books to arrive in Brazil when I order on Amazon, so I'm thinking of getting a Kindle and going digital.. I do prefer having real books on my shelves though!

I've just finished the last book in the Dune saga (the last one written by the original author anyway) which was pretty epic. I'm thinking of starting Asimov's Foundation series next. I also like to read non-fiction.. anything about science (as Mittineague says, all the -ologies!), history or the world in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    It kind of is. The book takes place over three days and chronicles a decisive battle for a hill.
    Reminds me of the Metallica song 'For Whom the Bell Tolls': "For a hill, men would kill. Why? They do not know.."

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    You can look at it like that or you can look at it as a vision of the future (at least, Julio Verne was able to imagine the man on the Moon and he got that right, and it seems that some new study seem to prove that there's water in the Center of the Earth and that a trip to it may be possible one day) or a test of the imagination.
    Exactly! I've always loved sci-fi for that reason.. exploring the possibilities of what might be. It's also tends to be a good genre for exploring ethical, social and philosophical ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I even have a "library" in my home - actually an unused bedroom packed with bookcases that are packed with books.
    *sigh* sadly most of my books are in storage back in the UK
    "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."

SitePoint Member
    Tsarigradski Komplex 280 DSofia 1000, Bulgaria
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read book love and romantic ...

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy mawburn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    Talking of ebooks, does anyone have an opinion on ebook readers? It takes forever for books to arrive in Brazil when I order on Amazon, so I'm thinking of getting a Kindle and going digital.. I do prefer having real books on my shelves though!
    Every book I've read in the last 5yrs has been on my HTC phone or my Galaxy Tab 8. The Kindle App is pretty good and there is an even better Android app called FB Reader (nothing to do with Facebook) that's even better if you get your books as .epub or .mobi. Both apps are pretty customizable and I personally don't have a problem because I read at night and my phone is probably 2-3 inches from my face. The tablet is def a lot better though.

I would love a Kindle Paperwhite, but $120 is too much for an eReader I don't really need.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually prefer to read different types of books like religious books , novels , motivation books and especially books related to management. Reading is the best option whenever we are free. Sometimes I read financial and economy newspapers also.

Thanks