SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professiona Template style

Where can I learn to make the style of professional sites you see at like... http://www.designgalaxy.com/detail.aspx?ID=35 ? There has to be some principle techinques and ideas to follow, besides giving them money to do it for u.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like anything else, being able to churn out a professional design takes tons of practice.

There are ways to apply formulas or systems to layout and design that provide a framework for developing new sites, and can aid you in duplicating the look you frequently see. Though I don't remember his sitepoint username, Adam's "Get the Look" series is great for this: http://www.adampolselli.com/getthelook/

Personally, I feel that learning good design is more of an organic, intuitive proccess. A process of observing what's out there (looking at lots and lots of sites), breaking down what they do that you like (faded images merged into each other, gridlines, small, aliased graphics seem to be some of the current trends), and then learning the tools.

By tools I don't just mean learning photoshop. That will only take you so far. (see: the kids who spend their days making pretty photoshop "pictures" ) I also mean learning color theory, a dollop of marketing sense, and a bit of user psychology, and an understanding the principles of graphic design and typography.

Armed with ALL of those things, you'll start to just "get it".

Good design will come naturally to you, and more importantly, it will come from you; from your knowledge and colored by your personality and experience. No monkey see, monkey do. Your work will be unique.

- liz.
    Mr Vector
    High quality, royalty free, vector graphics
    for t-shirt artists and graphic/web designers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do that by simple practice and not buy a book or even anything about that.

Most of designing is common techniques that look cool. I carry along a sketch pad and draw out some stuff before applying it to the Photoshop medium...

I would consider for my age, my templates very good, but I do practice and make templates consistently whenever I can.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I have very bad artistic ability when it comes to real world mediums, i basically just make box outlines of where things are supposed to go, lol. Thanks, both of you, looks like I've got some more work to do. I've been working at this stuff for about 4 years and I still haven't gotten the essence of pure perfection that I see in those corporate style pages. But like u suggested, practice makes perfect...sooo, thanks again! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    find some templates you like and try to mimic them as much as possible. that is probably the best way to start. but once you get decent, you really need to start doing your own thing.