Thread: Quotation Site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quotation Site

Hello, I'm one of the new guys.

I'd like for some feedback on my quotation site, where I basically store various quotes, sayings, wise words etc. Comments about the design and the general approach are appreciated.
    Imagine you were searching for one of the quotes and landed on one of the pages, is it what you would expect? http://www.wisefiction.com

I am also concerned with my choice of niche; most quotation sites I've seen either focus on one my chosen categories or just includes everything there is.
    I also went for a blog-like feel with by placing the latest quotes in the front page but I'm not sure if that was a good decision. Most quotation sites I've seen however are more directory like, starting off with a catalogue of quotes (example)
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Mar 28, 2014 at 09:30. Reason: URL added :)

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, I can't think of any points of criticism that jump out at me.

The design is clean and navigation is easy. Tags for topics, authors, and works are a good fit for replacing the directory-like layout on the other quote site you linked to.

I didn't go digging around in the code, but overall, I'd say nice job
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the design is simple, clean and easy to navigate. But there is so much white space among the quotes, so maybe you could change it.
    Furthermore, I think that you need a new logo and adding a new big logo, you can also make bigger the fonts/letters of the menu items. Also, I dont
    really like the position of the search functionality, maybe you could move it to another position. Your social media integration is nice but you can also
    add more social media sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Force Flow thank you, that means a lot.

@ggoskat I think you're right; I decreased the white spaces between the quotes. Not sure what the other things you suggested would improve though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like the rest say, the design is cool and ease to navigate, that's great. How ever i think, there is still a lot of white space, thinking from the users point of i feel it will have a better feel if you add mouse hover event your menus and links in your quotes by section, i thing the change in cursor type isn't just enough.
    I think it would be better if you avoid placing your adverts above the quotes, it'd be better above the menu just like in the example you gave, or just keep it all to the left or right site of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello!

quite good-looking website! The first thing that come to my mind is to make your popular tags section cloud like with moving tags when you point on them
    Plus, maybe adding some more buttons to share the post itself like G+, reddit, stumbleupon...etc is a good idea.
    Main html tags are ok, too.
    Besides you maybe would like to highlight the main body of the page, because it is too much white space on the website. That frustrates a bit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys for your reviews and feedback.

@Kaysums I have now reduced the white space, added some subtle hover effects to the menu and moved the leaderboard ad to the bottom of the page.

@carrnik I don't quite understand what you mean by this
    make your popular tags section cloud like with moving tags when you point on them
    And there are more share buttons in the single page.
    Yes I agree; I further reduced the white space now and tried to highlight the content with backgrounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draphoelix View Post
    @carrnik I don't quite understand what you mean by this
    I meant something like this

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrnik View Post
    I meant something like this
    Unfortunately, that cloud is not visible without JS enabled. With it enabled, it's visible, but (for me) unusable. I have perceptual problems which mean moving images (and even more so moving text) cause me difficulty, hence I usually keep JS disabled. I also have slight co-ordination problems. Even assuming I can find my tag in the moving image, my chances of hitting it are nil. On a bad day, I generally keyboard to avoid mouse issues - it doesn't work with keyboard.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a really neat site.. i can't really see any negative comments to say that would pop at me.. good job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this site a lot and I would use it. I am always looking for good quotes. It is organized well. I like that there are pictures, names of the authors, where they are from (TV, movie, etc). I also like that you # them too. I also like that you can add the quote of the day to your site. I would suggest giving people a taste of what the quote of the day will be (maybe a list of the last 30 days) The only reason I say that is because people are usually pretty possessive over their site and want to know exactly what's on it. The quotes seem fun and light but people will probably want to preview what they are signing up for. I also like the submit a quote option. I think you did a good job. Looks clean and inviting. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. This is a very clean and easy to navigate website. I don't have much to say rather than maybe add a newsletter for people to sign up and subscribe to. Maybe add a few more buttons to share. Their's other great websites besides just Facebook and Twitter. Lastly, I would start marketing a little, build some backlinks to improve your traffic. Other than that It's a very cool and interested website. Good job, keep up the good work!