Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Design site with blog

Greetings,
    I have finalized my web design site, it's a fresh port from pure HTML/CSS to drupal with a lot of customization but bare in mind that it is a drupal site so it's normal it's got so many .js/.css requests required by the drupal core.
    At the moment my blog is not opened to the public, I need feedback on it's layout first. It is accessible for review, I just removed the link from the main menu.

My site is 100% responsive and is also optimized by removing almost all the breakout points.
    The Showcase section has samples of layouts I have made, not actual clients as I just came back in web design after 9 years of absence.

Please give feedback on the following
    -colors/contrast and fonts readability.
    -Is the message clear enough? Is it easy to get revelant information?
    -How is the navigation? How is it once resized?
    -General feedback, what should be improved.

Thanks in advance, looking forward reading your feedback!
    http://www.groovymotion.com
    blog: http://www.groovymotion.com/blog

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site loads fast. Design (logo, colors) is too dark in my opinion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, the top left logo is going away, I worked on an icon.
    Not sure if I am allowed to ask this, but are those colors better: http://groovymotion.com/index2.html

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovyMotion View Post
    Not sure if I am allowed to ask this, but are those colors better: http://groovymotion.com/index2.html
    Of course you're allowed to ask - it's your thread. And yes, I like the blue much better. The grey seemed very drab to me, whereas the blue gives more "life" to the site. I'm still not keen on the background colour, though. Perhaps a pale blue or a more silvery grey? But that's just my personal taste, really.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Of course you're allowed to ask - it's your thread. And yes, I like the blue much better. The grey seemed very drab to me, whereas the blue gives more "life" to the site. I'm still not keen on the background colour, though. Perhaps a pale blue or a more silvery grey? But that's just my personal taste, really.
    Thanks TechnoBear!
    What about this now? http://www.groovymotion.com/index2.html
    I removed top left logo since it will be repaced like the one at the bottom-left and it's only useful on the blog part since the rest all have a header with my brand name !

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think that's a big improvement. I like it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too dark and too plain. I would expect to see a innovative colorful website that covers web design as business.

On example look at this webdesign website: kreativa-studio.hr

Be more creative imo.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Mar 31, 2014 at 01:42. Reason: URL delinked

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Processor1 View Post
    Too dark and too plain. I would expect to see a innovative colorful website that covers web design as business.

On example look at this webdesign website:
    I'm bewildered as to how you can describe GroovyMotion's site as "too dark" and recommend as an example a site which is almost totally black, with green and grey text of insufficient contrast to be legible?

Speaking personally, I prefer a site that's clean, simple and easy to read/navigate to one which is "innovative" and relies heavily on Flash or JavaScript.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

I'm bewildered as to how you can describe GroovyMotion's site as "too dark" and recommend as an example a site which is almost totally black, with green and grey text of insufficient contrast to be legible?

Speaking personally, I prefer a site that's clean, simple and easy to read/navigate to one which is "innovative" and relies heavily on Flash or JavaScript.
    It's a matter or perspective and i would agree with you if we were talking about an average content website which user brows to read. However portfolio websites or even more web design websites should show your expertise in manipulation html/css/java/flash in order to make something innovative and eye candy rather to show off your skills rather than generic static web.

Also you're right i gave a dark web example, but the point of it was it's innovative layout rather than color.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Processor1 View Post
    However portfolio websites or even more web design websites should show your expertise in manipulation html/css/java/flash in order to make something innovative and eye candy rather to show off your skills rather than generic static web.
    I would argue that depends on your target audience. My clients are mainly small businesses, and they want simple, easy-to-use, accessible sites. The only way I'll attract their business is with a simple, easy-to-use, accessible site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue that depends on your target audience. My clients are mainly small businesses, and they want simple, easy-to-use, accessible sites. The only way I'll attract their business is with a simple, easy-to-use, accessible site.
    To each his own then, different people different taste.
    I was just giving my review, and my expectations if i was to employ someone to make me a webdesign what i would expect to see. Cheers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but the trend is definitely going towards CSS and less java/flash. By less I don't mean "LESS" CSS
    This is just an ongoing project, I am adding more photoshop on the site right now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have added a smartphone image showing the responsiveness of my site, please provide feedback. It's my first object made, starting from a plain glyph.
    http://groovymotion.com/services

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only took a quick glance. Think it looks clean and great, especially with the smartphone.

But please remove the 'border: double 3px #403626' from the wrapper.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draphoelix View Post
    Only took a quick glance. Think it looks clean and great, especially with the smartphone.
    But please remove the 'border: double 3px #403626' from the wrapper.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the fecback! I removed the 3px double border, I just updated it with one px with the same color of the top and bottom.
    What are your thoughts on my header images in the sections? I think without them it would look a bit dull.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright here we go. Nothing stands out on your site. Your type faces are horrible. The focus on your showcase is large images in a slider but the images themselves are low quality with no real value and your only showcasing your own site. Your site looks like a stock theme with almost no customization. Its evident in your showcase images as some of them still have stock latin text in them from a theme. Your website sucks in my opinion. It looks like 50 million other websites on the net. Nothing stands out. What can you do better than the next dev?

I could drop your content in a stock Wordpress theme and have it looking better in less than two hours. I dont know your skill set but from what I see on your site its not very impressive. Not trying to put you down Im just being brutally honest. I really cant believe some of the reviews here. You dropped some text and low quality images in a stock drupal theme and people think your site is amazing. LOL. Makes me question the skill set of those in this forum.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, somebody put something bad in your cracker jacks!
    Typefaces: chose the top trending ones and they look clean except with chrome but that is all fixed now.
    stock images? First one was taken in the train between Zurich and Milan on the 3rd of october 2010. The one with the island was taken at Orta San Giulio at the plaza on october 6th 2010. The stairs one was taken at Castello Sforzesco on the 5th. Last one with the vintage look? Milano Centrale on the 9th. Yeah, stock images by myself!
    The only stock image is the one of the train but it's a test one and will be replaced with one of mine. So yes, I use a lot of stock images eh?
    Finally, my site uses a default drupal theme? Which one? Have you seen the actual code before making your judgement? It was built from scratch in pure HTML/CSS and then I took a custom theme and rebuilt it from scratch. Have a look around in the css-tricks forums if you don't believe me!
    Thanks for your great constructive criticism, it's really appreciated!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very simple website which is more suited to a tablet .. In my computer, I see a blue piece in the middle and white space everywhere.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazigh View Post
    It is a very simple website which is more suited to a tabled .. In my computer, I see a blue piece in the middle and white space everywhere.
    Yes I will increase the size, I made it first for mobile/tablet and will expand to desktop. Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense, but to me it looks like the sort of website from 15 years ago. And especially if you are in web design business, you should have something much better than the average websites online.
    Just an opinion. Good luck !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should see if there is a way to utilize all the space on the site. Seems like there is a lot of blank white space.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a test design, I am rebuilding my site around this one: http://groovymotion.com/layout2.html
    Slideshow shows my own pictures but they will show different layouts that I am building.
    Here is the progress of my landing page as of right now: http://groovymotion.com/index3.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is responsive, sure. Just that when you resize it for phone viewing, the logo (i guess that circle is the logo) disappears. You should work a bit more on design aspect rather than making sure is responsive and all that. Because the image is the one that counts. Too much dark blue and no contrast there. Look at related websites and get inspired. Also your other layout looks dated aswell. Sorry to say but it reminds me of ~2002 website design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopatg View Post
    I like you website design and the colors you used,But blog is not that much attractive,I suggest you to work on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwhite View Post
    Hello Dear!

As per my analysis your website looking great and i agree with "Roopatg" you just need to work on blog.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't posted in here for a while but here is what I am working on, it's quite different.

Index 6: front page, but with a fixed width.
    Services 4: Services page, 100% width. The top and bottom navbar are pretty responsive but I am working on an issue with the background image, I have 2 different approaches, this is the temporary fix.

Let me know your thoughts!

*edit* the blog is gone, it was running drupal and I got hacked so I decided to try out WP, it will be worked on after I finish the brand new site

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site is neat
    why dont u put more content on the frst page to make it fill a screen i.e desktop