SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: simple scroll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple scroll

I am new at flash and I was wondering how to make a simple scroll bar to scroll text. If someone had a fla example that would also help!

Thanks
    Jordan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which version of flash are you using?
    Better-Barter.com
    Logo store full of unique, professional identities
    perfect for you or your client!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I am no flash guru, but if you are using MX than it comes with a scrollbar component. Go to window>components and you will seE it on the list.

Here is how you use it select the text tool in the properties inspecter select dynamic text from the drop down menu.

click on the stage a text field will appear size it to what you want and then click and drag a scroll bar from the components window to the left side of the text field you made it should snap into place on its own.

Thats it all you need now is enough text to make it have to scroll test your movie

Later
    Johnny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops,

I meant to the right side of the text field place the scrollbar, my mistake also you can reskin the scroll bar by going into the flash components folder that will be in your library once you have added a scrollbar to the movie.

Sorry for the mistake

Later
    Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorrry.. I cant get it to work.. can you give step by step instructs.. I am very new

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Ok

1.Select the text tool from the tools, if that is not showing goto window>tools

2. In the properties inspecter select dynamic text from the drop down menu if you dont see the properties inspector goto window>properties

3.Now with the text tool selected for dynamic text goto the stage, and click anywhere, a text field will appear. in the bottom right hand corner there is a small square, you can resize the text field with that square, just like a windows window.

4.Once you have chosen the size, you want go to window>components and locate the scrollbar component from the list. Click and drag it to the right side of the text field you just created, it should snap into place on it's own.

5. Thats it, all you need now is the text you want to scroll, with the text tool still selected click in the text field and a small cursor will appear, start typing or paste the text you want there.

6.Test your movie, it should work.

7. In the properties inspector be sure you selct multiline from the other drop down list, it probably says single line right now. there are also some tabs you can select or not, one is for if you want users to be able to highlight and copy text from your site, that is up to you, the next is for rendering the text as HTML, I can't go into all the ramifications of that now, but you dont want it selected, the next tab is for a border around the text field, this can be handy for certain things but I tend to not use it very much.

The most important part of this is to make sure you are using dynamic text..

I hoipe this works for you. Let me know what happens.

Later
    Johnny