SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After purchase... use forum...?

I really have no idea where this should go.. so feel free to move it to a forum where it may get a better response...

I will soon be implementing a forum on my site for members to access to get support etc. Portions of it will also be available to the public (they can register as well) etc.

I also want to create a members area which will integrate with vBulletin, where users can see the scripts they purchased, purchase addons/additional services/renew license/etc.

I was thinking of getting users to register before ordering, however, I really think this would deter some from making a purchase... What would be the best way to "encourage" users to register so that they have access to the members area as well? Should I create the logins for them? But then what if they want a different username or something...

And also, since it will be integrated with vBulletin, it means that all registered users would see a link to their "member control panel" with all the purchases etc. Obviously, if they haven't purchased anything then nothing will show up... but I would prefer to make the members area available to only members of the forum who have made a purchase...

Hopefully you were able to follow what I wanted... heh
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about making a script so that when users purchase something, a username is generated based on their last name with maybe some random digits behind it, and give them a link to change their username once they're logged in? I'm not sure if that's possible with vBulletin though, as I haven't worked with it in years.

Or maybe on the order form you could include a checkbox that says something like "Click to register with our site, maybe with a link to the benefits of registering and stuff. If that checkbox is submitted when they submit the form, then they could be sent to another page where they could fill in a username and password and whatever else you need.

Just a couple ideas...
    + Celica =
    6G Celicas :: My '94-99 Toyota Celica resource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coomer: I thought about automatically registering a username for them, but figured many would be like "hey I don't want that as my username", but then again.. you mention the possibility of changing it. SitePoint actually changed me username )), so it is possible... I just need to figure out if it is a built in feature or some addition SitePoint has.

If I find out it is possible to *easily* change usernames, I will likely do this, then they can log in, download their purchase and if they wish, change their username.

----------
    Or how about this? After purchase, they receive an e-mail with a unique ID. Then, they go to a registration page and once registered, since the unique id is, well... unique, it will be able to automatically match their purchases. Hope you could follow that... but essentially, this is "register to download" instead of "register, purchase, then download" ... registering after purchase wouldn't (couldn't) deter anyone!
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdesigns
    ... I just need to figure out if it is a built in feature or some addition SitePoint has.

If I find out it is possible to *easily* change usernames, I will likely do this, then they can log in, download their purchase and if they wish, change their username.
    It's a very simple process, at least in vBulletin, simply editing the name in a text field.
    Lats...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh.. okay then! lol
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used this on a site and it works pretty good:
    http://www.cgi-central.net/scripts/
    They also have modules that fit into vbulletin, phpbb, and others.
    Note: I used the paid version so I am not sure about the free one.
    Thanks Eric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... interesting although I would probably like to CREATE MY own, as I have plans to implement sections for knowledgebase, tutorials, support ticket system, etc, all of which I want to only be accessible to members.

I wish I could make as much of this automated, because of course the process gets more complicated as 2nd time purchases come in... such as a week or month later! What I could do is have them input their forum alias, and if it isn't created, I could create it for them?

Or who knows... maybe I should actually keep the two completely separate?
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your site, you ahve made the first step, by purchasing vBulletin. You can easily integrate your php pages with vB, so users sessions can be maintained, templates can be used.

Since you have plans to CREATE YOUR OWN, you can easily integrate this into your site. If you know a bit of php. Head over to vBulletin.org register with the email you signed up at vBulletin.com with. Check the hacks database for one of my old hacks called Links Directory v2. Check out the structure, and how it works. It will show you how to code with vB. How to restrict certain usergroups. So if you want to make it so, so only purchasee will see a Members Area link, then you can easily restrict it using one of vBulletins global variabls, for instance $bbuserinfo[usergroupid]. This would be as simple as adding a coditional into your php script.
    PHP Code:
    if ($bbuserinfo[usergroupid]=="XX" ) {

blah blah...condition or an echo of the link to members area here
      $membersarealink
    ="Members Area";
    }else{

$membersarealink="NOTHING!";

You could maybe put this in the phpinclude templates in the template area in vB. Then in the footer (since its a template used on every page) you could put $membersarealink, and if they are in the usergroupid specific by you, they will see the link.

The possibilities of branding are endless. I suggest you head over to vBulletin.org, they got a huge resources of hacking tips, integrated tips, and a great staff.

Regards,
    ZunePoint.com
    Yes, we cover everything and anything zune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a solution for your problem to let users see what scripts they purchased. Create a new table, called userpurchaseinformation or something in MySQL. If you have a purchase id, then it would be like this [purchaseid, userid, itemname, itemdescription, quantity, individualcost, purchasemethod]

Everytime a user purchases something, the fields are entered. Then when they go to their members area to see what items they purchased, you can use vB's global variable $bbuserinfo[userid] and do a simple sql query and array it.
    PHP Code:
    $usersid $bbuserinfo["userid"];
    $array1 $DB_site->query("SELECT * FROM userpurchaseinformation WHERE userid='$usersid'");
    while(
    $array=$DB_site->fetch_array($array1)) {
         echo 
    "$array[purcasdasd]";
         echo 
    "$array[asdasdseid]";
         echo 
    "$array[padsdasdaseid]";
         echo 
    "$array[purdasdasdd]";
         echo 
    "$array[asdasd]";
         echo 
    "<br>";

Keep in mind, I used vB sql query structure above, and I can't recale the while code that vB uses to array, but you can use phps normal way if you wish. Its simple as that to show, and keep data.
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To change someones username in vBulletin, just incorporate this query into any form.
    Code:
    UPDATE user SET username='$newusername' WHERE userid='$usersid'
    $newusername would be the name of a input text box from a form, and if you make it integrated into vbulletin, you should make a hidden field called usersid, and make the value $bbuserinfo[userid]

Also, if they posted on the forums, I am not sure if its cached or taken all the time, but the old username may stay the same, so just update counters.
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of vB are you using
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will take a day or so and just sit down for a long time, planning it all out... I can see some things working, while others not...
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't installed it yet... I am debating about whether to use vB 2 or 3... I think I will likely go ahead and use vB 3...
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With vb3 you can even let users purchase through vb3, and it will upgrade their usergroup automatically, and give them access to forums that others can't see vB3 is better for the sort of site you wish to start.
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well I don't want them to purchase through vB, as I already have my "payment system" set up... although I have not looked at vB 3's...

hmm... I will get to thinking some more about this and come back later with any ideas I came up with...
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..they actually purchase through paypal, clickbank or another, and paypal sends a code back to vb3, which then updates the user information, it uses Paypals IPN. It does it all automatically. You may want to look into it, if you want to fully integrate it into vb.
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still thinking about using vBulletin as the backend for users.. if I choose that, it means harder to "move" really... so I dunno... I will need to really sit down and DECIDE before I go ahead with very much...
    Follow us on Twitter