Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Soapmarine View Post
    People feel more comfortable with their own prejudice. In tech communities and whether I contact techsupport via chat they took me for a guy "hey, dude" "piece, man"...
    I've always assumed people on the forums here think I'm male because they just can't tell under all this fur... Fortunately, it doesn't bother me at all.

But we've had more than one man stop us in the street and say to my husband "you know about computers, don't you?" To which he replies, "no, but you could ask my wife", whereupon they proceed to address their problem to my husband, who keeps turning to me for an answer and they still don't get it. computers=technical and technical=man's job

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People feel more comfortable with their own prejudice. In tech communities and whether I contact techsupport via chat they took me for a guy "hey, dude" "piece, man"...
    I would not call it prejudice. It's just the law of averages. And "dude" and "man" are slang terms for person here in America and seem to have become almost genderless. I hear women refer to other females as "guys" and say things like "hey, man" to other females.

As for what Technobear says above, I remember finding out a few years ago that Hawk was female. I don't really think of posters on forums as having a gender, but I suppose I would naturally assume most are male. I will take helpful information from wherever I can get it regardless of the gender of the person supplying it.

Yes, they moved the whole cPanel this weekend for me, I got some unpleasant hiccups (still fixing them) but their team do their best. I'm super happy with their service.
    That's good. Your websites load at an acceptable speed now. I remember waiting over 40 seconds for a page load a few weeks ago. They are a very good hosting company. Years later, I still consider myself lucky to have found them.

I guess you are not a big fan of the plugins for such things?
    I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Today I have to finish doing my tax return. Not a simple process at all.

SitePoint Enthusiast Soapmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    I would not call it prejudice. It's just the law of averages. And "dude" and "man" are slang terms for person here in America and seem to have become almost genderless. I hear women refer to other females as "guys" and say things like "hey, man" to other females.

As for what Technobear says above, I remember finding out a few years ago that Hawk was female. I don't really think of posters on forums as having a gender, but I suppose I would naturally assume most are male. I will take helpful information from wherever I can get it regardless of the gender of the person supplying it.
    I think I'm more sensitive to this because I come from gender-important and multi-language country. In Belgium there 3 national languages: Dutch, French and German and you are sort of suppose to speak them all, plus English as a standard to navigate in international world, and my mother tongue is Russian, and in university I took Japanese as 3d language. My housekeeper is Polish with whom I do my best to understand each other because she doesnt speak other languages except her own

I love English because it's so fluid and simple, and let you go straight to the point without valsing around a subject. In French, German or Russian it's much more complicated. That is why I automatically pay attention to all this linguistic nuances.

And culture point. It's normal here Western Europe when a guy in a restaurant propose to split the bill to his girlfriend. In Russia, you could try to do this, and you will never see the girl again. And it's not about money, it's like if you propose to hunt the mammoth together - it's not her role! But if your cavern is devastated by the hurricane, you can count on her to crush at her place!

That's good. Your websites load at an acceptable speed now. I remember waiting over 40 seconds for a page load a few weeks ago. They are a very good hosting company. Years later, I still consider myself lucky to have found them.

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Today I have to finish doing my tax return. Not a simple process at all.
    Hope your tax return went well!

I'm a still plugin fan, it helps me in my knowledge handicap.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check page speed with problems and instructions by using this Google tool : https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/