SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my e-commerce site of gold plated apple products.

Hi Guys
    I'd really appreciate a review of my site. www.applegold.co.uk
    I'd be particularly interested in reasons why you wouldn't by from this site. (excluding cost.) We've had about 1500 visits, since its launch in November, but no sales! Is it the product pictures? Too much text? The checkout?
    When you make your review, if you could do it as a customer looking for these type of products, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your help

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast Soapmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Steve,

Have you made any conclusions from your google analytics? Who visits you (male/female, which country/language etc)? How long do they stay? Which pages do they look? After which page they leave?

Now concerning the webdesign:
    1. It doesnt look luxurious as it should be.
    2. It looks very plastic and unhuman, and quickly done. It doesnt create any emotions.
    3. You should do something with the slider, the images and letters crosses sometimes, like there is a bug or something.
    4. You used black to give chic impression, but there is too much plain black, firstly, it looks sad, secondly it's difficult to read.
    5. I'd advise you to hire graphic designer who can help you to humanise your site with professional visuals.
    6. Maybe you should show some real photos of your products. It will build trust to your product?

Best regards,
    Alfiya

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alfiya
    Thanks for your comments. I am using google analytics and know the most popular product pages/countries/bounce rate etc.

I asked for the reviews because I'm not happy with the site either. I completely agree that it lacks emotion and the pictures need retaking. Love the idea of a graphic designer. Thanks for your help.

SitePoint Enthusiast Soapmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome, Steve.

I'd also organise a little photoshot with nice-looking girl or a man (depends on your target audience) in a big city (NYC, San-francisco). Something vivid, natural and gives a desire to have a piece of your product.

These photos you could use in your slider (on the homepage), and through some on the Pininterest and use appropriate hashtags (#golden, etc)

You can also ask your friends to pose in natural environment with your products and take photos of them by PROFESSIONAL photographer and use them in product galleries.

Good luck! You have enough ideas now

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - last item in footer menu is in second line
    - put facebook like box to header
    - reduce number of steps in checkout (merge it at one page)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first thing I notice is the black background. The black background does make the gold stand out more. However, how many black background e-commerce websites do you see? I can't say I have ever seen any. When I see a website with a black background, it is usually for a nightclub or a restaurant that has dim lighting. I just looked at some websites for local jewelry stores and none had black backgrounds. I did see that zg-hit.co.uk and goldgenie.com use dark backgrounds. I don't know how much a website background color means to a buyer. I just don't see it often.

In the jQuery splash (or info area or whatever they happen to be called) for the "Laser Etching" product picture, the etching that's on the phone is "i love YOU". That's pretty weak. Since you are selling to what appear to be a high-end clientele, maybe something like an engraving for a special occasion like a 10th wedding anniversary, a child graduating from college, or something more significant. Also, some product pics with examples of the etching, with cursive fonts would be nice.

The footer is pretty bad. The colors in the footer are overkill and detract from the gold products. (But is similar to the goldgenie website which is a competitor.)

It's not a bad looking website. The border on the splash area disappears in sections, covered up by the images. The site seems a little vertically compact. I would move the header up a bit and have a little vertical margin between the different sections.

On the custom-shop page, there is an icon for a missing image in the splash area. Not professional to have that. The missing image is:

applegold.co.uk/image/data/slide_image.jpg

Choose up to three lines of text which will be engraved using the font Myriad Pro unless otherwise specified.
    How many people are going to know what that font looks like?

Phone the Hotline Call us on
    You sell worldwide but have a foreign phone number. Are there any other options for this? Online chat?

Also, if you are selling worldwide, I think it best to have a .com domain instead of a .co.uk.

That's all for now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Here are the things I noticed:
    - the products and the product picture look amazing actually. I think that you can benefit from putting more mphasis on them by:
    - re-doing or transforming the pictures so that the phones are on a white background, and have the site also on a white background.
    - have less pictures but bigger and zooming more on the phone
    - have a look at apple website to see how products are organised and displayed: click on iphone, iphone5s, then have a look carefully at each details of the pages (size of pictures, colors of buttons,...)

- the first thing you see is the logo and then phone us, free world wide delivery (given their position on the page). But you don't know yet what the website is selling. It is written nowhere on the home page what you are selling and what is your product's competitive advantage (apart from the delivery, but this is not related to the product).
    - on twitter you could try to have more followers and should interact more with your followers (for example by retweeting the tweets you like, replying to tweets). Also you should not tweet exclusively about your product.
    - google analytics will tell you the exact place on your website where something goes wrong.

Regarding the sales, I'm not sure if 1500 views is enough to make a lot of sales. Maybe you should have a look at your website's search engine optimization. The following articles gives you an overview of what can be done to improve in this area:
    http://www.createasolidwebsite.com/how-to-seo/
    Regarding your website again, I would consider using an out of the box ecommerce platform. Some vendors offer their ecommerce platform as a service for a monthly fee (example: magento go at 15$ per month). I also fully agree on the idea of having the picture of a person on the website.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.

Vincent

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi stviery
    I've visited your site. It looks simple and accordingly noble. But the grey font is almost unreadable and the red font doesn't really fits into the site.
    The .co.uk domain makes your site kinda cheap if you want to sell golden smartphones. The footer looks well to me and the content slider is very smooth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defuze View Post
    The .co.uk domain makes your site kinda cheap if you want to sell golden smartphones.
    I don't understand that. It seems a perfectly good choice of domain if you're targeting a mainly UK market. If I'm looking to buy something online, from a page of search results I'll look at the .co.uk sites before I look at the .coms, because it's frustrating to find what I want and then discover the site is American and either doesn't ship here, or charges prohibitive amounts to do so.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo28 View Post
    I don't understand that. It seems a perfectly good choice of domain if you're targeting a mainly UK market. If I'm looking to buy something online, from a page of search results I'll look at the .co.uk sites before I look at the .coms, because it's frustrating to find what I want and then discover the site is American and either doesn't ship here, or charges prohibitive amounts to do so.
    Yes sorry was my fault I thought .co.uk is a subdomain, nevermind.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have visited the site and I saw a message from Google "Do you want see this website in Dutch." Deleted the message because he is annoying. Who does not understand English, do not visits your website. Google translation is not understood.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website is missing SSL certificate. For any e-commerce website like yours, there are a number of ways to boost conversion rates, including adding testimonials to the site, offering coupon codes, and putting an SSL security “trust badge” on a checkout page, with the goal of convincing potential customers that the process is safe and secure.

Establishing credibility with a trust badge increases conversion rate by 70%

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have viewed your website and have some suggestions:
    1. You use a lot of pictures in order to attract customers, but I have to say the pictures’ quality is not good, they didn’t show luxurious feature of apple gold product. From the pictures, the products have less attractive for me.
    2. As previous viewers’ said, the main color of the pages is black, which is depressive. So if you could have a professional graphic designer to re-design the webpage’s color scheme, maybe you website would attract actual buyers.
    3. The checkout process is not convenient. When I wish to buy a clear coat of ipad air, I have to choose four times; each time I have to slide the bar down to the bottom of the page in order to see the category. In “ipad 4th air clear coat shop”, there are three products, which have the same picture. Suggest using different picture for each product. Suggest just using small picture in here; using big picture in each product’s detailed information page.
    4. Suggest re-combining the products’ category, don’t list all the cellphone’s model on the menu. For example: change iphone5, iphone5s, ipad, ipad mini, blackberry Q10 to iphone (sub-menu: iphone5, iphone5s), ipad(sub-menu: ipad, ipad mini), blackberry(sub-menu: Q10).