SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are segmentation faults ? my racksapce linux server had a segmentation fault back on Nov 8, 2000. I rang support and when i said my server returned segmentation faults messages when i tried to telnet into my server to run the 'top' command, the tech guy said could he call me back later he had to check on something.

When he rang back a few hours later he said it was fixed and he had to remount the cpu.

Now today while i was backing up my forum's mysql database i checked the top command and it returned the same message 'segmentation fault' ?

what is it and why does it happen ?

i noticed 3 days ago, my server had been rebooted at rackspace's end ?

should i be requesting to be moved to another server ? I am worried about my data on my server, especially my MySQL databases which hold 5 months of data - over 60MB of forum files.

thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure what a segmentation fault is, but seeing as you have been having a lot of problems with your server over the past few months, I think its probably a good idea to move servers. Might just be some faulty RAM or something...I would do it just to be on the safe side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply.. the cause was my process table was maxed out and couldn't start any new processes.. i need a cpu upgrade apparently

it looks like i need to move servers anyway cause my current server motherboard doesn't support cpus higher than 500 mhz, so may need to migrate to a new server.

This is too much work and money

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 'segmentation fault' on Linux is the equivalent of an 'illegal operation' on Windows.

Nothing particular to fear for the hardware, it's "just" a software problem.
    And also, 500 Mhz is enough for a normal utilisation of a server...
    I'd suggest you to backup your data and reinstall the software system. That'd cost you less than changing the server.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice, i was itching to move servers and even hosts, but after searching around rackspace still seems best for now although more expensive

my current server is a AMD K6/2 500 with 384MB ram

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to move servers, then I recommend going for either an Intel PIII or AMD Athlon based machine - they are a bit more high-end and better suited to webhosting I think.
    The 384Mb RAM should be fine though...guess you can take that with you to the new server