SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apple compatibility

I am looking for some info on what products(such as hardware) are supported by mac. I just ordered a mac and cant find if my external hard drive is supported by mac's, if you know of a site that has info on this. please let me know.. by the way, i didnt see a fitting category for this so i just picked sorry..! and thanks.
    Aaron Smith
    smithaaronlee.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the hell does this have to do with PHP??

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moved...
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DealMac is a great resource. Good deals and everything you see there is compatible with some kind of Mac.

Hard drives, cd-roms, memory, usb1 devices, and firewire devices are generally supported, even if they don't specifically say that they are for Mac.
    CD and DVD burners are iffier and you'll often have to purchase software separately.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Addict Eternal Designs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most IDE, SCSI, FireWire and in the new G5s S-ATA drives should work. Macs use the same drives as PCs. The only problem you might have is the software bundled with boxed retail drives is usually for Windows. But you should be able to connect the drive and would then only have to format the drive to either HFS or HFS+ depending on what version of MacOS you're running.

Check out Apple's site for specifics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any.. Not most hard drives will work with a Mac. You don't need software, because apple has its own software to format drives. Hard drives are hard drives, just make sure you get the right kind of drive for your machine and your good. It doesn't have to say "For Mac".

If your looking for a Firewire drive then you don't even have to worry about getting the right kind of drive. Any Firewire external drive will work on a Mac... Any!
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    a friend was here a few weeks ago and borrowed a hard driv from one of my pc's and uses it without any trouble on his mac (after formatting it of course)
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my concern is getting what i have on my hard drive(mp3) onto the mac. or at least have the mac recognize the hard drive so i can use it without having to format it. or will i have to format it???
    Aaron Smith
    smithaaronlee.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more thing, maybe someone will know. The hard drive i have is a buslink usb2.0 its about 6 months old. The mac i am getting is os x v10.2. Also, if i do have to format it, how do i go about doing that.?(i switched to mac and will not know how)
    Aaron Smith
    smithaaronlee.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OSX (10.2.x) supports Fat32 but not NTFS drives. I’m not sure you will want to keep it this way though. I would backup the Data on to the Mac local drive and reformat it HFS+. It will run quicker and more stable HFS+, unless you plan on jumping back and forth with the drive from the Mac to PC.

If the drive is formatted NTFS then what you can do is network the PC and the Mac and copy all the Data over to the Mac (Macs can do SMB which means they can talk with each other over the network). Then once the data is on the Mac format the drive and move it back. This will only work if you have enough room on your internal Mac hard drive.

Or you could run a utility like partition Magic to convert the NTFS drive to Fat32.

OR you can wait for Panther... Panther support NTFS.
    Last edited by iwinweekly.com; Jul 27, 2003 at 07:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleeters
    one more thing, maybe someone will know. The hard drive i have is a buslink usb2.0 its about 6 months old. The mac i am getting is os x v10.2. Also, if i do have to format it, how do i go about doing that.?(i switched to mac and will not know how)
    To format all you have to do is hook the drive up and open "Disk Utility" under “Applications:Utilities”. This will allow you to format anything it can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok cool. Well, my hard drive is fat32 so im thinking i should be okay. but its just a matter of figuring out if the mac will automatically recognize it. if it doesnt. then i gotta get software for it or drivers for the mac. (is it even called drivers on a mac)?? damn i gotta get a mac book.
    Aaron Smith
    smithaaronlee.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your drive is Fat32 it should be no problem. Drivers are not going to help since all Macs are REAL plug and play things like USB and Firewire just work. If it doesn't show try rebooting with the drive connected, if it still doesn't see it, use the Disk Utility to see if that sees it.