SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New XML...need a little push

Hi, I have always wanted to learn XML, but I really don't know what it can be used for. It looks just like html, and it doesnt seem like it can connect to databases. Can someone tell me some features of XML. And for instance, how it would benefit my site (moviefantalk.com)

Regards!
    ZunePoint.com
    Yes, we cover everything and anything zune.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Solutions for Small Business: www.kolbsoft.com
    My Weblog: www.erichkolb.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, really helps!
    ZunePoint.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm...

Templates ? I've used XML templates before with PHPs Sablotron and it is very convienent and easy to maintain etc.

I've seen XML used with shopping carts before... no database at all; not as flexible of course but it can be done.

Distribution of your data over the Internet ? Just about anything and everything that you care to name accepts XML nowadays... The stuff that doesn't accept XML isn't worth bothering about in any regard; ie it's pants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what way would it benefit my site (moviefantalk.com) when it comes to letting writers submit reviews previews, and let staff upload images and other content, but let other sites use my content on their site through feeds, and some other stuff? How much time would it save me from using php and mysql.

Also can XML be used to use databases like mysql or PostgreSQL or other database software?
    ZunePoint.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole point of an RSS feed is to bring new visitors to your site IMO; You generate an RSS feed daily for example and automatically another site has your daily updates.

When someone visiting your other site (who has your feed) clicks on an RSS feed link, a new window opens (in most cases anyways) and loads a page from your site with the daily update etc.

Now that visitor is on your site; s/he maximises the window and voila they have access to your navigation etc.

As to using XML and Databases, there are PHP OOP classes etc that exist to read/write XML to/from databases; mostly mySQL as it's more popular and generally more available.

Have a look at www.hotscripts.com under their XML category to see what is there no ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dr. Livingston for taking the time to explaining for it. It has really encouraged me to incorporate RSS feeds into my new php system for my movie site.

Regards,
    ZunePoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dr Livingston

I think you have also covered my question.

Thanks and peace