Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Enterprise PHP

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Now I see where your at

Sorry if I've been short on actual details and a better explamation of my views...

Makes more sense now, honest. But as I said this is just me really and from where I am this is how we leave a question open for example and us lot over here are just left to get on with it and interpertate our own meaning really.

But I'll try a lot more to be more clearer in the future and explain things better, ie more detail ?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ot]Sure thing. And let's use the
    Off Topic:

tags, too.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    (...) With that said, there are always people who will lie, cheat and go through bootcamps etc. just to get employed. Hopefully, these people will get stumped on references or interview, but at worst, they'll be shot down at the trial emplyoment. I personally don't think you should discount certifications, but then again, I'm not an employer. Does anyone here have some real-world insight into this?
    Yes, there are people that cheat and lie to get jobs, and that includes making up work experience, adding a lot of BS to their resumes and in their interviews, and you know what? I've seen people do that and get the job. And worse, I've seen them get the job and keep it!

So that's the world we live in. That's life. And if I worry about those people, I will never get my stuff together. If I fight them, I loose; if I try to do what they do, I won't succeed because I just don't know how to do it.

So I mind my own business, I'm studying for the tests as they could actually measure someone's knowledge, and I intend to be proud when I pass it.

It's too bad that people can bring this behaviour to the tests themselves. I like taking pride of my tests results.
    Claudia
    Le Saucier Gourmet Frozen Sauces
    http://www.lesaucier.com
    (this ain't gravy)

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to make everyone suddenly self concious, this thread is [in]famous

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

Quote Originally Posted by HarryF
    Just to make everyone suddenly self concious, this thread is [in]famous
    Hehe, yes it was....

I think that PHP has an advantage to asp/asp.net :
    It is fastly developed. ASP (i don't relly know about ASP.NET) was really weak on that point. When i started PHP it was only version 3. Gosh, we are closing in on version 5, with "real" OO!

I am an old ASPer, but i switched to PHP cause its easier.

With planning and knowleage PHP has no limitations compared to other languages, such as asp (.net).

I read earlier in this topic that someone thought SF.net was slow:
    It is only because of the number of visitors, not PHP.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence, but I think .NET might be worth a look for you. Only because it's a very dominant technology, and I believe all true technologists should learn the truth about as many technologies as they can

Also, I think speculating on why SF is slow is useless. Harware, OS, DC, bandwidth, processors, server setup, RAM, webserver and language (not to mention installed modules) will all affect performance.

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried the C++.NET and i HATE IT!
    ANSI c++ i much less memory-demanding.

I have tried Java (JSP), python, CFML, ASP and some zope. Im stuck with PHP, and i like it :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polly_morf
    I have tried the C++.NET and i HATE IT!
    ANSI c++ i much less memory-demanding.

I have tried Java (JSP), python, CFML, ASP and some zope. Im stuck with PHP, and i like it :P
    C++.NET is horrible, yeah. C# is much better.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polly_morf
    Hehe, yes it was....

I think that PHP has an advantage to asp/asp.net :
    It is fastly developed. ASP (i don't relly know about ASP.NET) was really weak on that point. When i started PHP it was only version 3. Gosh, we are closing in on version 5, with "real" OO!
    I used to agree with the fact that PHP was a faster development environment (for small sites), but I don't anymore. I.e. I think ASP.NET is VERY fast to develop in, once you get the hang of it. The web forms framework is very slick to develop in. Especially designing data entry forms is extremely quick. The way it's built also makes code reusability a very painless process. Not to mention Visual Studio.NET which saves you insane amounts of time in a number of ways.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to agree with the fact that PHP was a faster development environment (for small sites), but I don't anymore. I.e. I think ASP.NET is VERY fast to develop in, once you get the hang of it. The web forms framework is very slick to develop in. Especially designing data entry forms is extremely quick. The way it's built also makes code reusability a very painless process. Not to mention Visual Studio.NET which saves you insane amounts of time in a number of ways.
    Which is faster to develop with? If you're using vanilla PHP (no classes / framework) it's probably correct. For a quick and dirty (small) site PEAR does a good job - QuickForm for example.

It's the showdown that will probably happen sometime. They're fishing for it over here;

Now take some relatively common benchmark app--maybe the now infamous Oracle Pet Shop and see how long it takes an experienced asp.net developer to create such an app from the specification compared to an experienced PHP developer. The benchmark the resulting apps.
    Right now there's no corporations around to pay for any PHP developers to deliver. Ironically my guess is Wrox was probably the only organisation that ever funded any real PHP "case studies".