Harry,

Your dismissal of the "well, perhaps PHP does have too many things floating around" argument with "well, MS doesnt' support ASP3.0 anymore either" isn't really a valid equivalency. I think I see what you were trying to do (open source projects die, so did ASP.old), however it's not the same.

Companies had 4 years of warning before Win2K3, which is basically the "get in the right millenium" upgrade. Most companies won't even do the full 2k3 upgrade until next year (ours won't, though we'll begin with simple ones like Exchange and AD this year).

That's 5 years of notice, really, and support for ASP continues to this day, but will likely die out within 2 years of 2K3's release. That's really 6-7 years of "support", which isn't quite the same as a PHP project which just dies, and for a company (and for me as a developer and IT manager) that is a very big difference.

We've also covered the "oh, this language teaches you more about this" and "this one teaches you more about that" and "good developers should know x, y and z (at least as well as they know x)" argument many times. While it's true, good developers should know a lot of things, but the biggest thing a good developer should know is what tool is right for which job.

Personally, I like CFML better than PHP for enterprise work, as well as just for regular sites. It fulfills PHP's goal even better than PHP does: a quick and dirty site, except that it allows for a greater separation between presentation and logic, out of the box.

PHP's free, though, which is a very big plus. I still prefer CFM though, wonderful language/platform for development.

J