SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up a password

Hi, I am working my way through the sitepoint book on php/sql and have reached the end of chapter four where I actually have to use the mysql_connect command to gain access to my database. Note, I am using the version of Windows XP that allows me to set up the sql server on my computer. Problem is I am having difficulty setting up my password. The books states (p.22) that I should place the following commands inside the bin directory of the MySQL installation:

mysql -u root mysql

Okay, Iíve opened up the bin directory inside the mysql folder and I am confronted with at least 30 different files. Where do I place the above command line? The instructions in the book seem a bit sketchy, but then again maybe I a missing something that is totally obvious.

Thanks in Advance
    Last Radius

public static void brain Gybbyl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's the command you type on the *command line* when you are in the bin directory of the MySQL install. That command simply brings up the shell interface to your MySQL databases and their tables. I'm not sure how this even works in Windows XP, since I have barely any experience with that OS.

If I remember, it's something like,
    Start > Run
    'cmd'
    'cd C:\MySQL\bin'
    'mysql -u root mysql'

That is how you bring up the interface. Now, I'm not sure why you're wanting to bring up the sql shell, but that should do it.

Ryan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanxs for the prompt reply Gybbyl; however, I am still a bit confused with regards to the bin directory:
    I open the mysql folder, and then I open the bin folder, which is inside the mysql, and am confronted with an assortment of files. Question is, what is my next step? Which file that rests inside the bin folder do I open to set up my password.

Another question, inside the bin folder is a link to winmysqladmin: Is this the user interface I should use to type in my commands? Whenever I click on this link the program opens up for about 4 seconds and then closes. Another file inside the bin folder is the mysql file - note, I have placed a shortcut to thiss file on my desktop and whenever I want to access the database I click on the shortcut and a black screen appears which allows me to type on the command line. I have just been using this approach as I work through the chapters. Is there a better way to do this? I know very little about all of this back end stuff so I am a bit confused. Any help is appreciated thanks alot.

LastRadius
    Thanxs in Advance

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I've figured out how to set up my password. Still, sketchy on what interface I should be using, and would appreciate feedback. Once again, thanxs for the help.