SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your drop down menus at the top of the page. The gray space at the top right of your site is kind of blank.. maybe you could put something there. I really like how when you mouse over images, they light up and all of the text below them is shown. The category selection search on the right might be a little hard to understand for some users. Looks really nice!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice website. very very slow loading period. i like how all the other dates dim when you hover over one. maybe stretch the top banner farther to the right as well?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your website is good, have attractive pictures, detailed introduction and map. If I will travel to New York City, itís a good guideline that helps me find some attractive places. I have some suggestions/notes:
    1. If itís possible, please keep each piece of brief introduction in a same length; so the arrangement of the home page will be neater.
    2. When I see the title of each piece of brief introduction, I found itís difficult for me read the title. Suggest you choose another font to show the title.
    3. In the home page, you provide a search tool which is showed in dark grey. Itís not a good choice in a light grey background. Suggest just using white as textboxís background, and black as the textís color.
    4. In the article page, you also use grey color to show the pageís path, itís hard to read. Suggest you could use white I suppose it will be better than grey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Erik you have built a good site. However, something is needed to modify. You can modify the font styles and color combinations of news blocks. An animation on the home page required to attract more and more interest of user.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

your site seems like it has good content and articles posted, but I think that so much can be done to make those articles more appealing to a user of the site. For one, the 5 article per row layout makes the titles very bunched and cramped, and the titles tent to take up 3 lines. Perhaps finding a wordpress theme that accomodates a 3 article per row layout would make the titles more like one or two lines, leaving more room for a photo and the content of the article. Another thing is that the >> effect you did on your navigation to indicate that there is a dropdown can be (and was) easily misinterpreted for a pagination indicator. Perhaps using a fontawesome icon would help give better indication that it is a dropdown, and that could eliminate the confusion.

I like the idea though, best of luck!

Regards,

JerseyNation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Center the site.
    2. I like the logo - a whole lot.

Do you do a php pull to populate the boxes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right Processor1! but you know you can improve it. Just make it more easy to load the page an SEO friendly too. Hope for the best

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tested in ie9? i'm seeing some small errors like the grid of 4 adverts, on the second row the 2nd advert drops? looks odd.
    I would also use the area in the top right to place a important tag line (strap line).

But nice site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks fine. The only thing you need is a better background and different color text for the search bar. You should find a wordpress theme that accomodates a 3 article per row layout would make the titles more like one or two lines, leaving more room for a photo and the content of the article.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this website is pretty neat and I would use it if there was one available in my home town. I like your commentary and fun way of describing the places. I like how you categorized the places, gave additional pictures and a map. It seems very convenient. Are there others who help you get these reviews or are you the only one? If there are others then you should add them to the about us page. It makes it more personal. Maybe talk about how YOU find these places and rate them. Maybe talk about why a place would NOT make it on the list...that is interesting (although you don't have to list names). I would go along with the other comments that the site looks pretty drab (grey and black) when food is so colorful and fun. You enjoy food - you want everyone else to also so make it a little more colorful! If I go to NY I will look up your site for sure! Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, the site is great, it feel simpler typography for the heading would be more readable. Congrats for the new venture.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I think that the light blue big font that says Exploring NY for the logo in the header pops out and is a good element in your design. One thing I noticed is that on the main navigation links, it is hard to read because the font is so compact. Maybe use some kerning on the letters to help viewers see the menu titles easier. Your menus are fast when they drop down and sharp looking. Over all a great site! Keep up the good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General thoughts:

Text on activites is way too long. Make it cleaner to read and easier to “quick scan”. Obviously tags also help doing that.
    Btw. I used to live in NYC and would have loved a site like yours so hang in there.
    The functionality of the drop down menu could be improved a lot. Often the “cursor activity” is forgotten by the page.

Regarding activity by users:
    Page looks like a place to learn but not to interact. Unclear what the user should actually contribute with. Are we sharing activities? Or do you need me for reviews or other comments? And what about any login features? So hard to see how/why users should engage in posts, more like a site to obtain knowledge.
    In terms of engaging users, I think you also should look into the order activities are presented in. Is it random? By date? Maybe it should be possible to rate the places. This is just another example that – to me – you are not offering a lot to engage in. At least not on the frontpage.

Hope this was useful.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is very good. The site is kind of attractive, but there are a few things you can modify.

1. Fix the header. I think it would be better if it's centred or if it goes end to end. But the silhouette of NY and the colours are awesome. You might think of changing the font. Something more urban?
    2. I love the effects of the articles, how everything else fades and it becomes longer. But can you make the whole area bigger? The article area to be closer to the sidebar? Because right now there is a big empty space between the two sections.
    3. The search bar needs a different colour. Right now you can barely see it.
    4. The background colour is kind of dull. Do a little research about colour patterns and what you want to say with them. It's all psychology, but it will be a big change.

Otherwise everything looks great. Maybe do a little bit of SEO, but it's good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally loved the design of your website. If you want to engage more people to the website you can do these things:

1. Add a large slider on the top. This will increase visitor` s interest.
    2. Create few quality back links on relevant sites to help your site rank good in search engine.
    3. Get active on social media site like Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.

I hope these suggestion will help you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First let me say I'm from New York and I love the content! Now for the critique:

1) In agreement with the forum... change the dull grey background and use all of that empty top Banner/navigation space. Full scale image backgrounds are all the rage... try finding some gray-scale NY pics... this way the background image won't take away from the content images in the forefront.
    2) There are a bunch of WP templates with the grid/card layouts. While this is a good start you might want to look around for some others that are similar but give you the widgets as suggested above, faster load time, and more flexibility. Themeforest.com is one of my fav places to find awesome and inexpensive WP themes.
    3) Consider adding video
    4) Add your mailing list form to the sidebar. Keep in mind that with this grid/card layout the more content you add to the site the further down the page the footer will go. You want your visitor to see this mailing list form as soon as they get to the site.
    5) Content suggestion = add NYC Events. There's always something going on in NY and I'm sure at many of the locations you've visited. Consider adding this section and you'll always have new content to post between visiting locations.
    6) As someone mentioned above.. be sure to include as much info about the locations as you can (business hours, avg price, specials, etc.), and since link building is still a great SEO tool, be sure to ask the venue owners for a link back from their site to yours.

~ Best of luck

MpressMe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    totally agree with thebucksyndicate. one more thing is that your side bar widgets are not responsive just as the main content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebucksyndicate View Post
    Hello Erik,
    I took a look through your site and here are my suggestions/notes for you:

1. I would update the header to have either a full width version of the current banner that you have, or I would add an additional widget to the right of the banner. The black space draws the eye away from the content.

2. On the Home page, I would adjust the height of the post displays boxes to be static so all of the rows are even to unify the look and feel of the page. This may require you to modify the style.css file.

3. I like the use of the custom menu for the main navigation and how you incorporated the category navigation menu items.

4. I would use a couple more widgets in the Footer section of the site to make things look more rounded out. Right now it feels like the site is not completed. You may just need to go through and fill out all of the options in the ePanel for the Elegant Themes theme that you are using to make the site look finished.

I like the site idea overall and the content. Last suggestion would be to add a photo or video of yourself to personalize the site since you are reviewing items from your experiences. Hopefully my feedback helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soapmarine View Post
    Hello Erik,

I like the whole idea of the site! Some personal thoughts of person who has never been in NY but planning to visit it in November 2014...and who is looking for the site like yours actually?
    1. the background is cold, I think it's better to have a softer background, I tissue or wall or something more human and less industrial
    2. the footer looks lonely. why not add something on the right too?
    3. I'm not convinced with typography. It's not easy to read as the letters stick to each other in long words
    4. in About Me section maybe you should justify the paragraph as it looks shabby

Best regards,
    Alfiya

These are great advices!
    Also... try to intreduce a little bit more spacing in between elements...
    i would downside the entire left "Sidebar" and make things more clearer and inviting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is overall good for its design and development, It contains good pictures and content. Please also share Youtube videos in it for information.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exploringny View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I recently started up a site about some of my favorite known and unknown places in NYC. The hope would be to expand once I get this city off the ground. What I really am looking for is an overview of the site and ways that I can get people to engage more with the different posts as right now it seems people are going to the site but not engaging much.

Site: Exploringny.com

Any and all advise is welcome!

Erik
    Hi
    First of all the website is well developed, good graphics also, as others have said , you can implement on those things, also you can utilise the extra spacing on the header and footer. There are few social media icon you can include pinterest also as it one of the best photo sharing website, if applicable you can add reviews

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It has been three months since the OP returned to this thread. In the circumstances, there seems little point in offering further reviews.

Thanks to all who contributed. Thread closed.