SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

First of all i would just like to point out that i have no knowledge of writing lanuguages for designing what my question is about.

My question is basically, how would i get a forum, such as this one, on a web site? Is there a WYSIWYG equivalent that makes it easy to design? What type of server would i need to make it possible??

Also, how are chat sites operated? What type of server would i need for this to work? Would each server limit the number of people that could use the chat bit at a time. For example if i wanted a minimum of 100 users to be able to type to each other at the same time?

I would very much appreciate ANY comments on the implementation of forums and chat site software...where to find the software, what software is best, what server do i need? What server would be best and why? Are there any excellent excellent examples online? Ahy web sites that explain how to implement forums and chat sites?

I very much welcome any comments,

Thanks for your time,

internationally.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently working on some new features for SitePoint which will explain how to implement forums and chats and which are the best ones, so stay tuned. (hint : keep an eye out on the tipfeed and the front page in a few weeks' time )

Forums are programmed in a server side language like ASP, PHP, Perl, Cold Fusion etc. and as such are quite complex beasts to program, and no, no WYSIWYG editor will get you anywhere with programming forums. They'll do fine for the HTML code, but not the backend code.

If you do a search for 'forum', you'll find plenty of recommendations for good forums.

As for chats, they usually come in three types : Java chats, CGI/manual chats, and remotely hosted. All of them require reasonably substantial system resources to handle the amount of users, so it's always best to check with your web host whether they're able to support the chat program you'd like to implement. Again, do a search for chat programs and you should find a few.

As for the types of servers, nearly any popular platform (*nix, NT/2000, *BSD, etc.) will be fine, though it will depend on what server-side language the program is written in.

Good luck.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your chat protocol, you will need a different daemon. E.g. for IRC, you could use ircd

As BC says, there are a lot of forums around that can be easily setup, depending on which sort of server you have. If you have physical access (or can telnet as root) you can put PHP on your server which is the generally prefered scripting language. But, forums go right up to high end binaries which dont need anything (as long as they are compiled for your processor and OS).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean "don't need anything"? Are you talking about the server type?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself
    By that I mean't they can be run just like a `.exe` file (a program) on your home windows computer.