SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious as to what you all here at SP feels .....

Not too long ago, we've seen Worldspy and FreeWWWeb shutting their doors and referring their clients to Juno. And recently, FreeI has been referred to Netzero. Then now, 1stUp ..... which runs co-branded services for AltaVista, Lycos, Excite, MyPoints, Ameritrade and various other big names seemed destined for doom as well;

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3665605.html

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out about the recent news about 1stUp several days ago. As a cobranded partner of 1stUp, it is disappointing to hear this, but it is something you accept and move on. Internet companies close every day, so it was not a complete surprise that this was going to happen, yet it is fairly shocking when you first find out about it.

We're currently in negotiations with another free access provider for the users of wsresource.com/spotster.net, and they are just about as good as 1stUp was. I don't think this means the end of the free Internet age is coming, it is just "shifting hands" for the most part. I think it'll get interesting once DSL begins to become more and more widespread and people move away from dial-up connections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to make the "We'll make all our money on banner ads" business model work. A lot of sites with good content but no source of revenue other than ads are going down the drain.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums